mtbr member
    Dec 2010

BME, Moab - Enduro Bike Selection

Has anyone ridden the past Enduro's on Whole Enchilada? (I know they had one last year.) Regardless, I am looking for advice. I have 2 bikes - Ibis Mojo-SL with 140mm of air sprung travel in the front and rear (approx 29 lbs) and a Santa Cruz Nomad with 180mm of travel in the front and 160mm in the rear - both coil sprung (approx 34 lbs).

The Ibis is much easier for climbing and is pretty fast downhill. The Nomad is built to bomb downhills but is a bit painful to get up the hill due to how I have it set-up.

I rode Whole Enchilada on a Spec Enduro (180mm front / 150mm rear - 32lbs) a year ago and it was fine but it was a casual ride not a race.

I've never done an enduro so I have no idea what I am getting myself into. Any comments or insights are appreciated.

mtbr member
    You can go anyway you want here. If you are looking at "standards" something in the 140-160mm travel range. Also this years race is very different from last years since it will be broken into stages so there will be a lot less focus on climbing. Personally if you can, take both bikes and preride the course with each. If not, I would go for the Mojo SL. At 29 lbs it has to be a pretty burly build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

BME, Moab - Enduro Bike Selection

I agree with Salespunk, I think that a shorter travel, more efficient climbing bike will be the ticket here (again, compared to what I've read about the previous years format of bombing down ~7000 ft in one go). I will be on a Mojo HDR and of course the more mojos the merrier!

Will be my first enduro as well. Gives me that nervous/giddy feeling, woo!

Everyone has their personal preferences but I can't think of many features out there that would "require" +160mm. I think a sturdy 140mm Mojo build with big tires and well-tuned suspension would be rad.
    Of course there's a lot to be said about a particular bike giving you that extra bit of confidence and comfort, especially at speed. Ride the bike that feels most natural.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Tough call. That climb up to Burro Pass is a good one. I think the Nomad would be quite a bit faster once you get to Kokepelli and UPS. But I like to plow over that trail rather than finesse it.

Not knowing what the other stages are, the Nomad is a lot bike if there are multiple climbing transitions. I'd pick the bike you are most comfortable on.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thank you guys for the comments. I think I am going to bring both and ride the Nomad for the pre-ride. If it is not so chunky / launchy I will probably go with the Ibis on race day. I can't wait and thanks again!

bike rider
    The significant climb between Burro and Hazard will be untimed so I'd recommend the Nomad. My bikes are a Mojo SL with 27.5" front wheel and 145mm fork or Genius LT 180mm travel. I'll be racing the Genius for the second year. 2.4" Ardent EXO rear, 2.5" DHF EXO front. It was fast enough for 12th in Pro last year and no worries about crashing or flats in the gnarly sections.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'd think the pedally stuff on Saturday, and even the short pedal sections on stage 5 would've made the Mojo the right choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I learned the hard way about tire selection while pre-riding Whole Enchilada. Changing over to an Ardent 2.4/Minion 2.5 EXO ran tubeless worked great for me on that gnarly back end of Stage 5 on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
    I learned the hard way about tire selection while pre-riding Whole Enchilada. Changing over to an Ardent 2.4/Minion 2.5 EXO ran tubeless worked great for me on that gnarly back end of Stage 5 on Sunday.

That sounds like a good set-up.. What would have been your other option?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMX104 View Post
    That sounds like a good set-up.. What would have been your other option?
    I WAS running a Bontrager XR4 in front, WTB Weirwolf in rear, both 2.35 if I remember right. Got two flats up front on the Bontrager, pinch flats. Decided on more tread with a durable sidewall. I'd never rode an Ardent but the shop recommended that setup. Awesome rear tire!

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    I'd think the pedally stuff on Saturday, and even the short pedal sections on stage 5 would've made the Mojo the right choice.
    But I got 6th in the downhill stage 3 (my best finish of the season) and despite riding ragged on stage 5 kept it together for a respectable 19th. Both those results I credit to slack geometry and a 7" fork. I might have shaved a little time on stages 1 & 2 (I finished 12 & 22) with the Mojo but would have paid for it and stages 3-5.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
    That's the same combo I used all weekend and for nearly every Enduro stage this summer. A little heavy and draggy but dependable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah I have been airing on the side of better safe than sorry..and running maxis High Roller 2's front and rear, I just picked up a Trail King / X-King combo in 2.4 for the less brutal courses. Glad they are finally offing some more tires in the 27.5 x 2.35+ size!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Here is what I ended up riding:

IBIS Mojo SL-R
    Drive Train 1x10 (Shimano SLX triple reduced to a single - 36 chain ring) w/ SRAM XO rear derailleur
    Brakes Shimano XT w/ 180mm front & 160mm rear
    Front Fork 140mm Rockshox Revelation
    Rear Shock 140mm X-fusion O2
    Handlebars Easton Mavoc Carbon 750mm
    Headset Spike 35mm
    Seatpost Crank Brothers Joplin
    Wheels Easton EA90 XC 26"
    Tires Kenda Nevgal (2.5") front / Geax Sugaro (2.5") rear - (both running tubeless)

I finished middle of the pack on day one and then had to drive the long 8 hours home due to a family emergency - so I missed day two. I am looking forward to riding again next year and will likely ride the Nomad with a 32 chain ring. Great event, great riders, definitely recommended.