mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Bikes for tall folks

Hi all,

I'm about 6-4 with a 36 inseam and am looking for a big (read long reach 17.5 + inches) 130-150mm (160mm wouldn't be out of the question) bike with a semi steep seat tube and head tube on the slacker side. 26, 650 or 29 isn't a big deal, I've ridden them all and can get on without too much trouble on any wheel size. What are you all riding? What kind of cockpit setups work for you all?

I'm really hoping to get input on whats out there - mostly hoping I've overlooked a viable frame option that just hasn't been on my radar. Pickings are pretty slim from what i've found so far in this category for the more lanky folks.

Thanks all!!

mtbr member
    I can suggest you start looking at what brands your local bike shop (LBS) sells and go have a chat to them about what you want. It is important to decide what you want to use it for as there's basically a bike for any type of trail and level of rider. Enduro bikes are built for two main things: lots of climbing and more downhills. This leaves you with multiple options as each of the many bike manyfacturers cater for this market in 26", 27.5" and 29" (less in 29" but they are available). Bikes with a slack head angle (65 - 67) allowing you to go down steeper slopes/terrain in a more relaxed (backward) position, not feeling as if you are going to fall over the handlebars which have been constructed on an expertly engineered rear suspension platform which is pedal friendly and keeps the rear wheel on the ground for constant traction more specifically with the shocks available on the market with which these bikes come equiped with. You need to look at what you are willing to spend and once you have made a list of your favorite bikes, get yourself fitted at a bike shop where they will take all the relevant measurements and tell you exactly what size of bike will work best for your size and riding requirements.

Some of my favorites (I prefer a 150 -160mm travel bike) are: Trek Slash, Santa Cruz Bronson/Nomad, Pivot Mach 5.7, Yeti SB66; Giant Reign/ Reign X; Specialized Enduro; iBis Mojo HD; Canondale Jekyl / MX, Banshee Rune; Transition Covert; the list goes on and on.. Happy shopping!
    When in doubt, Accelerate!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Niner WFO? I built mine burly for enduro racing, then broke my ankle a week before the BME at Keystone. Lame. But it has served me well in CO and Moab.

That being said, I might check out the Bronson next year. I'm 6'1" and feel better on a 29er, but they can be unruly in tight, technical stuff. 650b sounds like a good compromise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Banshees Rune and even Spitfire are pretty sweet, long top tubes for bigger guys, option to run either 26 or 650b by swapping dropouts as well as the choice to run 135 qr, 142 through axle or even 150 mm hubs in the 26". Plus adjustable geometry with the flip chips in the rear dropouts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm 6'3" with 34" inseam, and grew tired of my mountain bikes looking like circus bikes. I've got an XL Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 and it fits me like a glove. I tried Giant, Trek, Santa Cruz, Turner, and the Stumpjumper is the only 29er that felt dialed in perfectly for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-ripper View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm about 6-4 with a 36 inseam and am looking for a big (read long reach 17.5 + inches) 130-150mm (160mm wouldn't be out of the question) bike with a semi steep seat tube and head tube on the slacker side....
    i am same height and inseam and am riding a SC tallboyC XXL with a 100mm stem. you would be looking at the tallboy LT for the travel. at least test ride one if possible before passing on it.