mtbr member

which bike, Trek Slash 9, Devinci Dixon or Intense Tracer 2

Hello all, I have a question for those that own one of the above mentioned bikes or perhaps have ridden a couple of them. This will be my trail/enduro racing bike for a couple of years. Price wise they are all about the same, the trek being $100 more than the other two. I will be using a 2012 fox talas 160 upfront and for wheelset an I9 enduro set. Everything else is pretty norm 10 speed drivetrain.

I ride trails here in Houston and even though all of these bikes are a bit overkill for the terrain I like the way slack bikes ride and need an enduro to race on. My riding style is slightly aggresive and enjoy drops and jumps. Any advice is welcomed, TIA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I picked up a 2012 Slash 9 this winter that was hardly used as a demo and half the price. Had to pull the trigger on it after taking one on a solid demo ride last summer and fell in love with the thing. It rides like most will tell you, like a mini DH bike but climbs very well. At 6'2", I went with the XL frame. With the steep seat tube angle, your typical frame size will probably feel a little short on this. Go up a size from normal and throw on a short stem. With a few changes from the stock setup including tubeless Weirwolfs, I've got it down to 31lbs which is fairly reasonable I think. I still have my DH bike for lift access, but was looking for that one bike that does everything else and this thing is definitely it. I could sit here and ramble longer on about how awesome it is but I'll save you the reading.

which bike, Trek Slash 9, Devinci Dixon or Intense Tracer 2-end.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a 2012 Slash 8 with a 160mm Fox 36 Talas. I haven't ridden the other two bikes, but I've ridden a LOT of mountain bikes in my time. The Slash is completely awesome.

As noted above, go up a size or you will feel cramped. These have top tubes sized like a DH bike, and for climbing that is bad. Also, the bigger the frame, the longer the wheelbase, so keep that in mind. This is not a slalom racer. It is incredibly stable on the downhills, and it climbs like a short travel bike if you drop the fork and turn on the Propedal. It also has a really high bottom bracket, which is great for clearing things.

When jamming out of the saddle it does bob some, but try to find a 6.5" travel bike that doesn't. If you air it up to reduce out of the saddle bob, it is too stiff for the downhills. Seated climbing doesn't bob at all even if you run a lot of sag. You just have to work with it to see what feels right to you.

Downsides: rear shock is non-standard. Downtube is so large that some roof racks that work by clamping the downtube won't fit. On really steep, slow climbs, the front end wanders a bit unless you drop the fork travel. It is a Trek, so some people will dis you for riding mainstream. Too bad they can't realize that a great bike is a great bike regardless of the name on the downtube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Back in 2011 I bought the Intense Tracer 2 as a complete build with a RP23 shock and a Fox 36 Talas.
    The frame is a bit on the heavy side but for my kind of riding which is trail/enduro and bikepark that's absolutely fine. It pedals and climbs well. Nevertheless it might not be the fastest uphill but that's not what I'm focussing on anyway. Because as soon as it goes downhill it is so much fun! The faster the better but always with a lot of confidence.
    In the meantime I sold my Speci Demo and since then I use the Tracer 2 as my do it all bike which includes bikepark as well. I do not know about Trek or Devinci but Intense gives a go for bikepark usage. Living in an area without high mountains it is just right but takes a serious beating when visiting other destinations.

Check my gallery for the latest set up:
    Bos Deville fork with 160mm
    Cane Creek DB Coil (Which makes it a different bike in comparison to the RP23! The best upgrade you could give your Tracer.)
    1x 10 speed
    Shimano Saint brakes
    etc.

Another reason for me to go for an Intense frame was the fact that they are still handmade in the USA. That does not make me any faster but it makes me love it even more.

mtbr member
    thanks for the replies all, still trying to decide here. I am in no rush since I wouldn't even start building it until after my angel fire trip in July.