Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Big Mountain Enduro: tell me about the level of gnar at CB and Keystone

I'm looking for some insight into the DH runs at Crested butte and Keystone. I'm wondering how gnarly the Big mountain enduro's will be at CB and Keystone and whether my wife and I should attempt them.

With the Big Mountain Enduro series allegedly having some stages at lift access bike parks, i'm wondering whether the 2013 events will be more technically demanding. Particularly asking for my wife's sake- I'm trying to give her advice on what venues to race etc. We're both Cat 1 XC racers (who tend to prefer/excel on technical XC courses) transitioning to enduros. Last year she raced whole enchilada enduro with a mid-pack finish. she doesn't so much like to get big air and drop off stuff, but she'll roll down some rocks.

context given our current experience: I've ridden winter park with her last summer, and she loves the green and blue stuff, likes boulevard, etc, but rainmaker scared her a bit (she's not a jumper or fly off drops). Trestle DH run scared me a bit (but doable, still not sure i'd want to race it), but frankly I can't imagine sending my wife down the black/red Trestle Dh run without her walking a lot of the course, and hating me afterwards.

I've heard Keystone has some very gnarly DH runs, and I don't know anything about the Crested Butte runs. We have ridden Doctor's Park (outside CB),

I know the point of enduro is to be quite technical, which I appreciate, but I get nervous as it gets closer to full on DH-race runs.

We don't have much chance to pre-ride courses weeks in advance as we travel in from out of state.

It probably doesn't matter, but we're on Trek Remedy's with anglesets raked out to about 66.5deg HA. and I realize now that the 80mm stem I was using at Trestle DH was probably a bit long .

Registration opens soon and we're trying to decide whether to sign up for the Crested Butte and Keystone races. Race course specifics aren't up yet on the big Mountain Enduro site (probably still be finalized). Thanks for any and all advice!

mtbr member
    Good questions, would like some responses as well. Might try posting in the DH and Colorado forums.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Crested Butte

I've ridden Evolution Bike Park at CB and the answer is "it depends." Some of the trails are very flowy and not overly technical. Some are quite technical, with rock drops, roots and rock gardens.

If the most technical trail is Timeline I think you and the wife will be OK even if it connect to Avery at the end. If there is a full run down Avery it may not be enjoyable for you or the wife. I ride all of the trails at WP to include Trestle DH and I've yet to clear the two drops on Avery at CB (although many make it look easy).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My .02 cents,

Having raced down just about everything at CB, one should be comfortable at race pace dealing with high speed tech skills. Bike handling skills is everything, in addition to physical conditioning of course. It is well within reason if you're going to be racing Cat I, that one can handle hitting step ups, step downs, and airing at high speed. Can these types of obstacles be ridden around, almost always yes, but you will not be placing in the top 15 if there is a decent turn out.

So does your wife have to be comfy railing a rock garden followed by a 6 ft tall 25 ft long table top? No, but that pace wont be competitive. This being said, the idea is here is to have fun. If an individual is competitive in Cat I XC, and doesn't have any DH chops, then Cat II might be a better fit. This is fine, i'll be racing Cat I in Enduro, but I race Cat II in DH because i'm 42 and could really careless about throwing whips at 35mph 10ft in the air.

Courses and stages will vary, and for every stage that is a "holy **** we survived it", there will be another where you have a "omg, i killed that and caught my 30 second guy in front of me!"

Have fun with it, pre-ride courses, pay attention to appropriate lines, meaning challenging lines that will grow you, but not kill you in the process. It really is fun, just be sane!

Hope any of this is helpful,

Rodeo

I'm with stupid
    Keystone can get steep and crazy and make trestle look like a petting zoo. Anglefire is the first one and the only one Im worried about breaking my bike on if it is anything like the DH race there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I didn't race the Keystone Enduro last year, just looked into it. So you get to pick our own way down from the top and from what I can see, the fastest way down is the old DH race course that MSC used, which I raced and found to be brutal top to bottom! Cowboy Up, Motorhead, Paid in Full (KS re-routed this last season), Wild Thing to River Run. This is a DH bike worthy course for sure, but a Remedy could handle it. No big drops but some technical sections that I would definitely practice if you were looking to race. Rock gardens on Cowboy Up and Motorhead, big step section on Wild Thing . Those will be the biggest challenge on that course.
    I've only been on the DH course at Crested Butte and man is that line fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am very interested in this as well. I plan on signing up for CB and would really like to know what/how to train for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    me and a teammate are coming out from PA to race this while we visit a friend. we are bring our XC bikes out with us, i have a FS 2012 specialized epic 29er and he has a 29er hardtail. we are thinking about renting a bike for the race but could we get by on our XC bikes? we would both be racing the amatuer or whatever the lowest class is. not worried about winning, just would like to not be dead last lol

Special Purpose
    Oct 2009
    Been after pretty much the same info. Excited about the series, but didn't want to be over our heads in the bike parks. This is the response from the BMe folks:

"We are still finalizing our courses, and although the resort riding is very challenging, we won't have any mandatory gaps or huge drops, you will have a bail out option for those sections."

Sounds like the fast lines will be big lines, but the average joe won't get killed just trying to survive the course. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. Good incentive to become a better rider.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to find the time and dollars for the whole series!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks 309 for the info - if you (or myself) get anymore - please be sure to post it up here!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've ridden both Keystone and CB a bunch, on both my DH bike and my Trek Remedy. You'll be fine. You can ride everything at Keystone and CB on a 6" bike, nearly as fast as on a DH bike. Anything more than a remedy type bike and you'll be loosing more time on the pedal sections than you are gaining on the gnarly sections.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good to know. Is the trail/ride "do-able" on a HT with 100mm fork? I know anything is "do-able" and that that bike wouldn't be optimal, but please entertain the question.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I can't find rules posted anywhere for the BME series. Do you have to ride the timed downhill sections on the same bike on which you ride the transfers?

The transfers are not timed from what I understand, but they do have cut offs. How aggressive are the cutoffs? I have a Giant Faith freeride bike with 8" in the rear and a 7" Boxxer on the front. It has dual chainrings and actually climbs pretty well. I've done the Enchilada in Moab on it a couple of times. If the transfers are just a matter of grinding them out, I would have no problem using that bike.

Anyone know the rules/format of these races?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You are correct that the transfers will have a time cap and the DH sections are timed events. I do not believe they'll allow you to switch bikes.

I'm with stupid
    I would also like to know what the transfer cut off time is as far as how aggressive you need to climb to get there in time.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by zk6760 View Post
    Good to know. Is the trail/ride "do-able" on a HT with 100mm fork? I know anything is "do-able" and that that bike wouldn't be optimal, but please entertain the question.
    You could probably get away with a 100mm ht at Winter Park. Keystone? You'd survive, and maybe have fun, but I doubt you'd have a very competitive time at the finish.

Haven't ridden CB, but I'd say the DH parts are Angelfire rival Keystone on the gnar factor. Again, you could ride, survive and have fun, but I doubt you'd be competitive if that's your goal.

Then again, are you on a XC ht or more of DJ style Ht?
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

I'm with stupid
    Anyone read anywhere if these races will have a hard tail class?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Anyone read anywhere if these races will have a hard tail class?
    No. Pro, Amateur, age classes. No classes based on equipment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

<100%
    Your bike should would be fine. If you are running very light wheels, consider them disposable or consider a beefier set of wheels/tires. I raced an AF DH with a hardtail with 100 mm fork once. It was not competative at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    Your bike should would be fine. If you are running very light wheels, consider them disposable or consider a beefier set of wheels/tires. I raced an AF DH with a hardtail with 100 mm fork once. It was not competative at all.
    think a fs 29er with 100mm fork and a kid with more balls then brains be a little more competitive? guess i better leave my crossmark 29er rims at home for this

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NAGmtb View Post
    think a fs 29er with 100mm fork and a kid with more balls then brains be a little more competitive? guess i better leave my crossmark 29er rims at home for this
    Go for it. Enchilada Enduro pro women's class was won on an anthem 29er last year.

Now, high speed big jumps at a bike park may be a slightly different story, i'd wager.

It's much, much, much more about the pilot, of course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    Go for it. Enchilada Enduro pro women's class was won on an anthem 29er last year.

Now, high speed big jumps at a bike park may be a slightly different story, i'd wager.

It's much, much, much more about the pilot, of course.
    ill be racing the novice class anyway. id like to be competitive but if not im not sweating it. yeah i wont be doing any big jumps lol ill hit up some but im gonna have to take the B line or bail out option on the huge stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    No. Pro, Amateur, age classes. No classes based on equipment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Do all the BME races have age classes this year? Last year it was just pro and amateur.

Edit: Yes they do have age classes this year. Just checked.

On a (major) side note: Registration for the Enchilada Enduro in Moab opens in about 15 minutes!
    Last edited by KRob; 01-28-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Rockflopper
    I picked up the season pass this morning...needless to say I'm pretty pumped!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm signed up for the Keystone race, and don't yet have a bike for it. Does anyone know what the level of climbing is going to be like? Should I be looking into a 6 inch bike or something in the more FR/DH range?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast