mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Beginner Class to Sport Class was easy... But....

So I have started doing some racing this year and have found that starting in the Beginner class for the first race was fine to see where I stacked up to the others in my age bracket I have settled in the Sport 35+ cat. The jump from here to expert class will definitely require a lot more dedication and mental focus for me.

I have found that years of riding off-road mx has given me an edge over the other MTB riders in my class (that have just started racing ) when it comes to bike handling but there are quite a few guys in my class that have been at this for a long time. There experience shows in how they pedal through certain areas and carry their speed through corners.

So the Sport class is where I will be hanging my hat for now. Not sure there is a question in this post but just wanted to share my goals and maybe get some feedback about moving up in class! I am thinking that I will me focusing on riding all of my current weekly rides more like a stage in a race...

Pedal.. pedal throughout the whole trail with no downtime and incorporate sprinting at the end of each stage.

Work on cornering.. on different terrain take runs and specifically work on pumping speed out of the trail and not braking in the corners.

Also as far a moving up in class is there a basic protocol that is used? Like winning a series or two or three in your class before moving up etc.?

Airborne Flight Crew
    I get confused by race classification sometimes. CAt 2, Cat 3, Sport,beginner.... Then in the BME its just Pro, Am age 19-29, Am age 30-39, Masters 40+. Don't have a problem with BME's classes, but some unity among promotors/races would be cool.

Found the UCI rules about it, I guess it breaks it down pretty good:

Mountain bike categories begin with Category 3 (beginners) and move to Category 2, Category 1 and finally Pro.

Riders may advance as quickly as they wish up to Category 2.

"The upgrading of categories will be noted on the racing license by USA Cycling. The USA Cycling official at the event may record the upgrade of a rider to Category 2. The official will then contact the USA Cycling Regional Coordinator to record the change. A rider may also contact USA Cycling by email at membership@usacycling.org or in writing, or their My USA Cycling page to change categories.

3-2: Five top-five finishes is a mandatory upgrade.
    2-1: Five top-five finishes is a mandatory upgrade. Riders may choose to upgrade with two top-five finishes
    1-Pro: Riders are eligible to be upgraded to Pro after two top-three or three top-five finishes in Elite/Open category 1 races at USA Cycling National MTB Calendar Events. "

Link to the rest of the page: Mountain Bike Category Upgrades - USA Cycling
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I feel like if someone podiums overall in their class, they should bump themselves up the next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    I get confused by race classification sometimes. CAt 2, Cat 3, Sport,beginner.... Then in the BME its just Pro, Am age 19-29, Am age 30-39, Masters 40+. Don't have a problem with BME's classes, but some unity among promotors/races would be cool.

Found the UCI rules about it, I guess it breaks it down pretty good:

Mountain bike categories begin with Category 3 (beginners) and move to Category 2, Category 1 and finally Pro.

Riders may advance as quickly as they wish up to Category 2.

"The upgrading of categories will be noted on the racing license by USA Cycling. The USA Cycling official at the event may record the upgrade of a rider to Category 2. The official will then contact the USA Cycling Regional Coordinator to record the change. A rider may also contact USA Cycling by email at membership@usacycling.org or in writing, or their My USA Cycling page to change categories.

3-2: Five top-five finishes is a mandatory upgrade.
    2-1: Five top-five finishes is a mandatory upgrade. Riders may choose to upgrade with two top-five finishes
    1-Pro: Riders are eligible to be upgraded to Pro after two top-three or three top-five finishes in Elite/Open category 1 races at USA Cycling National MTB Calendar Events. "

Link to the rest of the page: Mountain Bike Category Upgrades - USA Cycling

Good info here I agree with BigSteve that an overall podium is grounds for a self bump! I hope to get to that next year!

mtbr member
    Unfortunately there are a lot of sandbaggers out there. I bumped myself recently from Sport to Expert even though I had not won a race yet (mechanicals and one crash kept me out). Once my times were fast enough to be top 5 in Expert on a few stages it was time to move. It was frustrating as a Sport rider to see Expert level times in my class. I think once a rider posts 2-3 segment times that would get them top 5 in the next category it should be time to move. It would keep the differentiation in the categories.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    good info.
    I'm trying to figure out what class to race the CA enduro series.
    I tend to have a competitive summer every 5 or 10 years. At 40, I raced for the first time since 30, and I trained hard and won the sport AM class at downieville. In racin' a couple enduros, I really liked the catagories at Sea Otter, Open 40 to 49. Northstar had that last year too. But, CA is 35 to 49, sport, exp or pro. being close to the top of the age (race age 46), and riding about 3-5 hrs a week, sport may make sense, but I felt a bit guilty winning dville so handily. So, any feedback. I'm definitely an old XC guy, never was an expert DH guy, so that leads me to sport enduro as well.
    thx,
    Holiday

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    good info.
    I'm trying to figure out what class to race the CA enduro series.
    I tend to have a competitive summer every 5 or 10 years. At 40, I raced for the first time since 30, and I trained hard and won the sport AM class at downieville. In racin' a couple enduros, I really liked the catagories at Sea Otter, Open 40 to 49. Northstar had that last year too. But, CA is 35 to 49, sport, exp or pro. being close to the top of the age (race age 46), and riding about 3-5 hrs a week, sport may make sense, but I felt a bit guilty winning dville so handily. So, any feedback. I'm definitely an old XC guy, never was an expert DH guy, so that leads me to sport enduro as well.
    thx,
    Holiday
    Are you racing the entire series?

mtbr member
    If you won Dville Sport you should definitely be racing Expert assuming you were competitive on the DH portion of the course and did not just create such a huge gap on the climb that nobody could catch you.

DVille is a hugely competitive race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Agreed! Sport class is competitive but with experience and a decent fitness level you will do fine in expert! If you do the whole series consistancy is what pays off since not very many people do the whole thing anyway.