May contain nuts

4 flats in one race - need tougher rubber...

Don't want go tubeless on these rims (EX500) so I need a good 26" tyre/tube combo that works on rock/clay/loose over, that doesn't way a ton. Dual ply and heavy tubes the way to go to avoid the dreaded pinch? Todays 30km race had 1200m of climbing between stages and looooong rock sections down... Had 37psi in the rear and still pinched on the last stage... What are folk using in tubed setups for heavy duty races with lots of pedalling?

mtbr member
    What tyres where you on? Let me guess... Schwalbe or Conti?

For general xc riding dual plys are serious overkill, unless you're too heavy and the terrain extremely demanding.

I use fire xc's on the rear, not lightweight but reasonable puncture resistance. I've had good results with conti tubes.

May contain nuts

4 flats in one race - need tougher rubber...

Kenda Excavator 2.3 rear had all the pinch flats (no tyre cuts just pinches), std XC weight tubes. HD 2.35 front had no problem. I think I'm riding harder in the rocks than I used to and have just found the limits of single ply.

mtbr member
    First, what tires are you using right now. Pinch flats (especially 4) are usually a sign that you need to up your pressure more than a casing issue, but you are already running really high pressures. If you were tearing sidewalls then you might want to start looking at dual ply's etc, but for now I would go to Conti protection casings or the like. BTW I run a Schwalbe on the front and a Conti in the rear without issues. I was puncturing casings on the rear Conti until I upped my pressure from 22 psi to 30 psi. I figured out that it was essentially a single hole pinch flat when I was bottoming out the tire on the rim. No issues since.

May contain nuts
    Thanks guys. Some heavier tubes and maybe something along the lines of WTB Vigilante with reinforced bead/sidewall might be the go. Can't really go any higher pressure...

May contain nuts
    Didn't pinch on the stage this pic was taken, and it was the rockiest one. Sometimes it's just luck, and line choice...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4 flats in one race - need tougher rubber...-adrian_close-1024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I raced the same event (also did it last year) and have had zero issues with punctures. I ran Maxxis Exo TR 3c Minions (2.5 DHF front 2.3 DHR 2 rear) set up tubeless at about 28psi front 35/38 psi rear. The second stage is really rocky so you need a higher pressure for that one (do it at the bottom of stage 1)
    Tubeless is a must IMO unless you want to run proper dual ply DH tyres.

May contain nuts
    Cheers. Running Flows on another bike with no issue other than the usual battle to mount new rubber common to all Stans rims. I see some new rims in my future, maybe some i25...

MTB B'dos
    Sounds like you're having similar issues to when I ran Mavic EX117 rims, just had to run the pressures too high or pinch flat all the time, swapped to EX321s and never had that problem again. As for tyres that should stand up, I'm a Maxxis fan and would say one or any combo of the following 3 tyres - HR2, DHR2 or DHF2 in the EXO casing. Been running Stans Flows now for 5 years and never had an issue with low pressures and pinch flats running tubes, but prefer tubeless, just so much less to worry about, have some of the new WTB ST i25 rims and see how they go compared to the Flows.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics