mtbr member

26 Mojo HD vs Spec Enduro 29 My Personal Results

I thought i should post this in here for anyone shopping new bikes. My curiosity was piqued by the new Specialized Enduro 29 with it's short chainstays and I had the opportunity to pick one up at a very good deal. It was not a replacement for my current ride which is a Mojo HD so I have both now. My thought was to ride the comp version for a few hundred miles and if I really liked it and noticed a significant speed difference to then pick up the SWorks version. I did upgrade the Enduro Comp (aluminum version) pretty significantly with the following items;

Easton Haven aluminum wheels
    KS Lev 150 dropper post
    XT brakes
    1x10 conversion running a 32t up front

I am a Strava addict and information junkie so I wanted to see what the difference in times would be between my HD with 26 wheels and the Enduro with 29 wheels. My thought was that a single or even multi day demo would not be enough time for me to adjust to the new bike and really put it through it's paces. I had ridden a few other 29 bikes for up to a week at a time, but they were never MY setup and always felt strange.

First thing I noticed getting on the E29 was the position. I LOVED the way it felt just sitting on it and pedaling around the street. It is also much more comfortable when I get out of the saddle. The other thing I noticed immediately is that the bike is, ahem *plush*. Definitely something that I would keep an eye on. Time to hit the trail!

I spent a significant amount of time on the E29 exclusively so that I could really acclimate to all the changes. It was a lot to get used to, but pretty quickly I got up to speed. I am fortunate enough to have a lot of trails out of my garage and I ride 3-5 times per week. Since I have so much Strava history to rely on I thought it would be unfair to compare to my best historical times. Instead my plan was to put in 15+ days on the Enduro then switch back to the HD so that my fitness and trail conditions would be as similar as possible. As you would suspect I had the new bike stoke with the E29 and was having a lot of fun with it. One thing I did notice was that Descend mode was almost unusable for me. It was so plush that did not even like it on the rough downhills. After a few rides I never took it out of Trail mode except on pavement sections where I would switch to Climb mode. Then came time for the switch...

Last week I pulled out the HD, pumped up the tires, lubed the chain and got rolling. I immediately noticed how lively it felt. When pedaling it felt really quick and in the corners it changed direction RIGHT NOW! It was a blast to ride it again after being away for a while. Overall I had a great time getting back on it, but after I finished I was dreading my Strava upload. My expectation was that the E29 would crush the times and I had ridden the exact same loop the previous day on the Enduro. That meant tired legs since I was pushing hard both days. Luckily my 510 loads much faster than my old 300 so the wait was over quickly. The results were surprising to say the least...

Overall the times were i d e n t i c a l. I am not talking margin of error 2-4 seconds the same, I am talking 9:59 up the long fire road climb, 2:18 on the rocky technical tight descent, 6:32 over the longer rolling descent for BOTH BIKES. If it wasn't my own data I would not have believed it. There were some differences on some sections, but they were less than 5 seconds. I was blown away, so blown away that I started to switch off bikes to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Then things got really interesting. Over the next week it became clear that there was NO difference in times according to the GPS data. It was repeated over and over again. Differences of less than 5 seconds between the two, but on any given day either one would be faster. There was no consistent winner anywhere on any type of trail.

The real difference is how they went about it. The E29 just smashes everything. There is just total disregard for just about any trail feature. When things get steep and hairy you do start to notice the size. My HD on the other hand can be whipped around and has no issue changing lines in an instant. It can still roll through rough sections, but it also opens up a lot more line choices.

After spending time on both bikes I can see how the E29 would be significantly faster for a less experienced rider. It wants to roll and feels very stable which will instill confidence in newer riders. That being said, under an experienced rider you might not see the speed advantage that you would expect. It is different, but not faster under my riding conditions and trails. I will say that I used it on every type of trail I could think of from super steep quasi DH courses to long pavement climbs and did not see a difference on any of them. I would argue that my experience is backed up somewhat by what has been seen in both the Enduro World Series and the World Cup XC season. Both series were dominated by non 29r bikes. In the EWS both Clementz and Graves were on 26 and Nino Schurter is on 275. That being said I think that if you put any of those riders on a 29 wheeled bike and they had time to acclimate the results would have been the same. It comes down to the rider and not the wheel size.

To wrap up I am not a proponent of any wheel size now. The choice is there for anyone to make, but there is no guarantee that any of them is going to make you a faster or better rider. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with and where you want to take your riding. There are pretty much ZERO choices if you want to pick up a brand new 26 XC race bike. A lot of people say that a 29r can't compete on tight technical descents. My conclusion is that both are more fashion statements that facts. If you have any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Great write up and thanks for sharing this. I was personally very glad to see your times come out to be identical as I'm currently riding a 2011 Felt 26er HT and have been struggling with the idea of selling the bike and converting to a 29er, but after reading your results maybe I'll stick with the 26er for now and focus on my fitness level instead!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice write up! Strava has proven to be an awesome tool for many people and using the data to analyze something like this is priceless! So will there be a for sale AD to follow?

mtbr member
    For now I am going to keep the Enduro for my boys to ride unless someone wants to offer me $4K for it with the current spec and extra wheel set!

mtbr member
    Very nice comparison and good info.

I'm curious, is there a weight difference between the two bike?

mtbr member
    HD is 28.5 and the Enduro is 30 flat. BTW I am also running identical rubber on both bikes. Hans Dampf up front and Mountain King 2.2 Protection in the rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Great write up.

mtbr member
    Do you think if your Enduro was the same weight as your HD it would be 30 seconds to a minute faster?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    probably more like 1:45 faster for sure

Keep on Rockin...
    Great write up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GFreak View Post
    Do you think if your Enduro was the same weight as your HD it would be 30 seconds to a minute faster?
    I don't think the weight is going to make much of a difference at all. Tires are .5 lbs of the 1.5 lbs and those are like for like on the bikes. Of the remaining 1 lb, there is another .75 lbs in the wheels which again makes sense. Could probably reduce this to a .4 lb difference by going carbon Havens, but I don't want to spend $1200 on them. The E29 does have a lighter fork (Pike vs Lyrik), rear shock (Fox CTD vs RS Monarch Plus) and I am pretty sure that the Enduro Alu frame is lighter than my carbon HD.

What I am trying to get at is that if both bikes are built the same the 29 will always be heavier. You can't get the same durability so it would not be a fair comparison if they were the same weight.

I like mtn biking, too
    That is a great experiment/write-up!

I have been curious about this too. I have an HD and a On-one lurcher hardtail 29'er, which isn't as good of a comparison (weight difference is 5 lbs.!) but I always wondered if a Tallboy or Ripley or Enduro29 er would be faster on the DH's. Lots of the top folks in our local enduro won on 29ers, surprisingly.

The wheel sizes do feel very different. I like them both, actually, but the HD is an amazing jumper and really fun to flick around. The 29er feels fun to be up so high yet completely "in" the bike, but is very hard to manual or get off the ground! Obviously landing a HT sucks.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Great post - thanks! It confirms for me why I like to ride different size/wheel bikes - neither one is better than the other - just different.

mtbr member
    Great feedback Salespunk. I'm deciding between the SJ26EVO vs SJ29EVO. What would you suggest overall for mountain trails that are also hiking trails? So trails lacking the 'groomed' mtb style with switchbacks and berms...natural terrain that is steep and has trails with a mix of smooth/rocks/wooden and rock stairs/steps.

mtbr member
    You will definitely get better rollover with the 29, but the 26 will be easier to throw around. Most of my riding is not on groomed trails, but instead broken up granite and chunk. I prefer my 26 on these trails because of the maneuverability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Throw a CC DBAIR on the E29, very likely to change your opinion. Really changes how the bike handles, more so in how is pedals from my experience riding a comp and an S-works.

mtbr member
    It was more the wheel size for me. I throw my bike around a lot and the 29 wheels weren't great for that.