mtbr member

2018 bikes for Enduro.

Anyone changing bike for next year? What you going for?

After 4 years on my current bike it's time for something new. Looking one aimed for enduro again but the old heads fried.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I was in the same situation, I looked at most of the main brands and had to decide on what worked best with my particular body dimensions. I'm 5'9 with really short legs so I want a good roomy top-tube and a short, steep seat angle.

I tried the 2018 Giant Reign, Commencal Meta AM, Kona Process, Trek Slash, Trek Remedy and Santa Cruz Nomad and a few 2017 models inc Norco Range, Transition Patrol (I'm currently on the 2016 medium alloy Patrol), Specialized Enduro, etc.

If it fits you, the Giant Reign is pretty awesome in spec-level, warranty, price and weight. The slack seat angle ruined it for my stumpy legs though unfortunately. I was perched on the nose of the saddle even with it pushed forward on the rails.

The Commencal was very nice as well, good spec-level and price point. It's more like a mini-DH bike than the others that I rode, but still climbs respectably. I ended up preferring the Large size, with the seatpost slammed (they have a shortish Reach, and long seat tubes). I think if I owned one, I'd end up cutting the seattube down a tiny bit (Barelli does the same) and hoping it didn't cause me grief. This wouldn't be an issue for a non-hobbit though. I ended up wanting a sharper SA and shorter CS though after a bit of time riding it.

I was between sizes on the Slash (need an 18.5 dammit) but the 18.5 Remedy felt nice. It has a good weight to it, and great spec level and warranty. I'd prefer shorter CS personally but YMMV.

The new Nomad, much like the Commencal is a DH beast. It was out of my price range to be fair, but it has a crazy good weight and would be a good park bike. Bit overkill for the trails I ride though, and I was surprised that it didn't seem as sturdy and stiff as I would have liked.

In the end it came down to the new Patrol and the Kona Process. Both have good steep seat angles, long reach and short seat tubes. I've been a Transition fan for a long time (owned about 6 of them over the years), but they're expensive and the new frames are a good deal heavier than the old ones. I ended up ordered the base model of the new carbon Process 27.5 after a test ride. I got offered a good price and it seems very nicely finished with lots of well-thought out features. The frame looks good for bad weather conditions with no pockets for mud to collect, it is plenty stiff and has the geo I want. I might get a -1 degree headset for it depending on how it goes in the steep stuff, and I'm already wondering if a 205 x 62.5 or 65 will give it a bit more travel without causing problems, but I think I can make do with the 153mm anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Also - sorry to be long winded - spec on 2018.

Nearly everything is going to come with GX Eagle unless you're looking at top of the line or really budget stuff. It seems pretty good though only time will tell on durability.

The Fox 36 now has 3 levels of damper and spec so double check which damper your bike comes with (FIT, GRIP or RC2).

The Lyrik comes in both RC and RCT3 models. I preferred the feel of the RCT3 but can say why as they're theoretically the same except for the 3 pos lever.

The new Fox DPX2 is pretty damn nice - if the Kona had one of those I would have decided quicker. I've always found the RS offerings didn't quite have enough LSC in the full-open position.

Pretty much everything has Guide brakes as well. The R level is pretty much only suitable for your pub bike or commuter IMO. Some brands are speccing the new Codes but I didn't get a chance to try those. I'd ignore the brake spec level and just budget for getting something better no matter which bike you look at. Personally, I'm going to fit my Hope E4s to the new bike and sell the Guides with the old one.

mtbr member
    The new codes are much better then last years guide RS. The only guides I would run are the ones with bite adjustment.

I have an '18 Enduro for next year, I'll also be picking something up in the 120-130 travel range for some of the more mellow races. The list so far includes- Spot Mayhem, Evil Following MB, Fuel EX, maybe a Stumpy.
    Instagram

Denver, CO

Mojo Wheels | DirtLabs Suspension | Honey Stinger

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I have an '18 Enduro for next year, I'll also be picking something up in the 120-130 travel range for some of the more mellow races. The list so far includes- Spot Mayhem, Evil Following MB, Fuel EX, maybe a Stumpy.
    If you're not set on carbon check the Smuggler, if you're set on carbon but not on 29, check the Calling.

basher
    Jan 2006
    Just bought a 2018 Kona Process 153 Carbon, gonna be fun to do a couple of local enduro/downhill races on it next summer

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    If you're not set on carbon check the Smuggler, if you're set on carbon but not on 29, check the Calling.

+1 on the Calling. That's what I will be running next year. 150mm fork in X-low will yield 65ish degree head angle and the 130mm rear end feels like much much more...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I forgot to say, but my 2015 Transition Scout has been awesome for milder Enduro races with a 150mm fork on it. The carbon Scout would be lighter and stiffer, or if you wanted a bit burlier bike, the new SBG Scout is longer and more sturdy. I'd nearly have gotten one of those for 90% of the local Enduro races we have.

mtbr member
    Flipping change my mind every week.

mtbr member
    Ended up riding the Following MB back to back with the SB4.5. Hate to say it but I'm buying the Yeti.
    Instagram

Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Had anyone tried Antidote Carbonjack? A lot of good review and the looks so awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I just got a 2018 Trek Remedy 8, my first enduro type bike after having a few XC bikes. I was deciding between the Commencal Meta and the Remedy. Bike has been super fun and the GX Eagle is pretty sweet!

mtbr member
    My list is. Remedy 9.8, Transition Patrol or Scout and the Reign alloy 1.

mtbr member
    My buddy has the Patrol (alloy version) He let me take it for a spin I really liked it a lot esp since its a PNW company, but the 2 year frame warranty dropped it off my list. I may never break a frame (I'm not a jumper) I just feel a lifetime warranty is nice to have.

mtbr member
    Yea the warranty is putting me off along with the rear break cable being outside, the weight and I think it's not boost at the front. But for some reason it's still top of my list lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    look into guerrilla gravity (all bikes (frames) are hand made in Denver) the new "the smash" (140mm 29er) or the Megatrail (150/165mm 27.5) would be a great Enduro bike.

I have a megatrail and I love it for riding everything here in the PNW.

mtbr member
    The Patrol rides great, thats why it went to top 3 on my list =)

mtbr member
    The Yeti rides so good my 2018 race bikes will be a 4.5 and a 5.5 and I'm a yeti-hater
    Instagram

Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonNI View Post
    Yea the warranty is putting me off along with the rear break cable being outside, the weight and I think it's not boost at the front
    They're 3 year warranty on the new bikes. The external rear brake is a big plus IMO, I hate needed to bleed/break a hydraulic line just to install or remove a brake. I'm sure they're boost on the front now as well. The weight is a bit of an issue tho.

mtbr member
    They're 3 year warranty on the new bikes. The external rear brake is a big plus IMO, I hate needed to bleed/break a hydraulic line just to install or remove a brake. I'm sure they're boost on the front now as well. The weight is a bit of an issue tho.
    Yea I hear you, up to 3 but some others are lifetime warranty. It's my OCD more than anything with the rear break but know for sure it will be better for work.

Interested to hear that they might be boost at the front aswell, anything I've seen so far only talks about the rear. I'll drop them an email.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I sold my stable and picked up a used Yeti 5.5 and still have enough for entries and travel in the bike fund. 1st Good decision Iíve made so far

mtbr member
    Have you looked into the the Pivot Firebird, Switchblade, Mach 6, or Mach 5.5? How about the SC Hightower LT or their regular version Hightower? Ibis Mojo HD4? Scott Genius? Orbea Rallon?

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    New toodlemobile - 2018 Kona Process 275 CR.
    Basically stock, except XT cranks, Bikeyoke Revive Dropper and Joystick Builder saddle, Hope E4 brakes and tubeless.
    14.5kg (32lbs). Will probably go a 50mm stem and go back to 31.8mm bars at the same time and I'm waiting on a Luftkappe to arrive as well. My OneUp chain device didn't fit because the top ISCG mount is recessed and the main pivot fouls - will sort some spacers. Aside from the crappy 3 engagement point rear hub its a really sorted spec level.

2018 bikes for Enduro.-kona01.jpg2018 bikes for Enduro.-kona02.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice choice! I dig the colors!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Out of all the bikes I've gotten to demo, I'm split between the new Process 29 and Enduro 29. I should be able to demo the Sentinel in the coming weeks and the Slash. I'm really hoping I like the Sentinel since the GX build has so much bang for your buck IMO. The Slash seems awesome but $4500 for a budget nx build sucks. I think it'll be a hard choice either way.

I'm with stupid
    Im all canfield this year. Last year I was on a Riot (toir) and a yeti sb6c this year I will be on a coiled out balance. I learned last year that there is zero shame in walking the bike on big transfers. So worrying about climbing weight is not nearly as important as I had thought and the small climbs in the stages are over and done with pretty fast. My advice to all is get the most amount of bike/travel you are willing to push around all day. At the amateur level weight is just a number on a scale.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I just picked up a 2017 Trek Slash 9.8 demo for a lark from by LBS. Put in my first ride with it yesterday. All of my expectations have been met: passable climber, absolute baller on the descents. All of my initial remorse for not waiting for the Capra 29er has melted away......for the most part.

mtbr member
    I ended up ordering an Orbea Rallon.

mtbr member
    Add the new Capra to the list.
    Instagram

Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Man I tell ya the choices available are mind blowing. We've re-did our short list again... In order top to bottom: Orbea Rallon, SC Bronson (Aluminum S build), YT Capra & SC High Tower LT (tied).

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Capra 29 CF Pro on order, think I will keep my 2015 Intense Carbine 29 for pedally races.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm riding a 2017 Vitus Sentier VRS 27.5 (upgraded a bit) this year. Hey, somebody has to represent the hardtails. In the Midwest, the enduro races are (mostly) pretty tame, so it's fairly easy (and more fun) to ride an aggressive, long-travel hardtail.

mtbr member
    Some food for thought:

Evil Wreckoning vs Orbea Rallon vs Specialized Enduro vs Transition Sentinel vs Trek Slash

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/20...-Sessions,2242

Last edited by bikinbeast; 03-13-2018 at 01:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Picked up A Whyte S-150 Works in December. Planning (hoping) on smashing the competition in Hood River on May 19th.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonNI View Post
    I ended up ordering an Orbea Rallon.

Sickest enduro bike out right now! Great choice!

mtbr member
    Looks like Iíll be on a Guerilla Gravity Smash this year! Keeping the Enduro as a backup for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    Sickest enduro bike out right now! Great choice!
    Thanks. It's always there or there about, just have to wait till 11th of June.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Antidote Carbonjack

Quote Originally Posted by Keithyk View Post
    Had anyone tried Antidote Carbonjack? A lot of good review and the looks so awesome!
    Yes. I have one. And I love it

2018 bikes for Enduro.-org_dsc00931-e.jpg

2018 bikes for Enduro.-org_dsc00935-e.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kg_img View Post
    Yes. I have one. And I love it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ORG_DSC00931-E.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	1191297

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ORG_DSC00935-E.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	1191298
    Thatís a pretty cool build!

My Carbonjack frame just arrived too! Waiting for the brakeset to arrive before I can start the build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Thatís a pretty cool build!

My Carbonjack frame just arrived too! Waiting for the brakeset to arrive before I can start the build.

Congrats! Would love to hear what you think. What frame# do you have? Mine is #10.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kg_img View Post
    Congrats! Would love to hear what you think. What frame# do you have? Mine is #10.
    My frame #16

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Has anyone tried the Kona Process 165?
    I'm interested to know how capable it's in climbing

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jufertor666 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Kona Process 165?
    I'm interested to know how capable it's in climbing
    I've got a 153 long shocked to 160mm. It's a decent climber and resists bobbing well but I'd prefer a steeper real seat angle to get over the pedals for long climbs. The slack actual seat angle means when the seat is full up I'm a bit further back than I'd like.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    With 160 mm rear like you did, what is the new seat angle? Have you measure it?
    I've got a 153 long shocked to 160mm. It's a decent climber and resists bobbing well but I'd prefer a steeper real seat angle to get over the pedals for long climbs. The slack actual seat angle means when the seat is full up I'm a bit further back than I'd like.
    Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It hasn't made a huge difference because I normally chuck it in climb or trail mode for long transfers. Plus I've put in an angleset to slacken it to the figures are all a bit skewed anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

My Antidote CarbonJack

[QUOTE=Keithyk;13614469]My frame #16

I have #14, came from a Transition Covert 2 to a Intense 2014 Carbine to this and it is awesome :-)!!! Nice to meet you2018 bikes for Enduro.-img_20180426_133952.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 bikes for Enduro.-img_20180426_133952.jpg  

mtbr member
    So my bike came.. a week in and due to work I still havnt got out a run.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

2018 bikes for Enduro.

[QUOTE=Radical Ride;13721409]
    My frame #16

I have #14, came from a Transition Covert 2 to a Intense 2014 Carbine to this and it is awesome :-)!!! Nice to meet youClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180426_133952.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	1205672
    Hi, can I check what is the cassette size you are using? Do you notice that the gap between the cassette lock ring and the frame is really wide? I am having problem to run cassette with 45t and onwards using my XTR Di2. It canít shift properly. Adjusting the B tension plus the. Di2 electronic tuning will correct the smallest up to the second largest cog. However this doesnít make it move up to the largest 45 cog. Adjust the b tension again will move it to the largest cog but shifting to the rest of the cog is not accurate anymore.

Is there any issues using cable? I am going to modify the hanger to make then RD closer to the cassette by offsetting the wide gap in between 2018 bikes for Enduro.-c1902e5a-5414-402b-a3e9-32e58bd59756.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    My frame #16

Hi, can I check what is the cassette size you are using? Do you notice that the gap between the cassette lock ring and the frame is really wide? I am having problem to run cassette with 45t and onwards using my XTR Di2. It canít shift properly. Adjusting the B tension plus the. Di2 electronic tuning will correct the smallest up to the second largest cog. However this doesnít make it move up to the largest 45 cog. Adjust the b tension again will move it to the largest cog but shifting to the rest of the cog is not accurate anymore.

Is there any issues using cable? I am going to modify the hanger to make then RD closer to the cassette by offsetting the wide gap in between Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c1902e5a-5414-402b-a3e9-32e58bd59756.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	1206135

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi I have a Sram X01 42-10 cassette, the space from the last cog to the frame looks similar to yours. Once the b screw is set and the tension it changes up the cassette well but can be a little slow in change on the fast cogs.
    Last edited by Radical Ride; 07-01-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical Ride View Post
    Hi I have a Sram X01 42-10 cassette, the space from the last cog to the frame looks similar to yours. Once the b screw is set and the tension it changes up the cassette well but can be a little slow in change on the fast cogs.
    Thanks. Seems thatís the design issue. Will see if the modify hanger works, otherwise, have no choice but to go for cable shifting instead of the Di2 electric shifting