Thread: 2013 Brek Epic.

I'm with stupid

2013 Brek Epic.

No I didnt post this in the wrong forum. For 2013 they are doing a Enduro style ride with timed down sections and non timed transfers. 6 days 240miles total with 20ish timed sections. Is anyone planning on doing this? Sounds a lot like a few of the big multiday enduros across the pond.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It looks like an awesome event. Survive the climbs and destroy the downhill. This really puts the endurance in enduro. I think my 1x10 would be lacking on the high and low ends.

mtbr member
    I am really considering it. Trans Provence in the Rockies, what could be better?

mtbr member
    That sounds like a really cool race.

I think that's what they should do with the BC Bike Race too.

I'm with stupid
    The more I look at it and the more I talk with my Roomate (pro XC guy) the more I want to try this race out this year. Now I just need to find someone that is willing to buy a kidney so I can afford this race.

mtbr member
    Dude I'm game when is it neighbor lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    $699 right?

I'm with stupid
    Yeah $699 for earlybird prices from what I can read I saw $999 in there as well somewhere. dont know the details on what all you get for around a hundred bucks a day though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I saw there was a 3 day option? Any idea which 3 days out of the week?

mtbr member
    3 Day is not the Enduro, it is the CC. From what I have seen Enduro is 6 day only.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I am really considering it. Trans Provence in the Rockies, what could be better?
    I was going to sign up as well, thinking that same thing, until I read more about Breck Epic and talked to guys who raced it the last few years. Breck Epic is using all the same courses for the XC race they are just adding timing on the DH's. From their description last year of Breck Epic, they told me really you want a hard tail 29'er and just laughed when I asked about using a 6" enduro bike. One commented that was about 10lbs and 3" more travel than needed in their opinion. TP on their entry form "strongly recommends" a bike with no less than 5" of travel and slack head angles to "enjoy" the race. You are required to carry a full first aid kit, some carry spare brake rotors, use DH casing tires, and bring chains/cables because the course is so rough. So bikes much under 30lbs will have a hard time making it through the week. TP's trails are also 1,000 years old high alpine trails made for hiking which makes them super rocky and steep even by DH standards. It also sounds like the climbing between the two races is close to the same in both races but TP's has almost double the DH vert.

TP IMHO has some really unique aspects that I hope we start seeing more of in the US. Their timing format being one. Its pretty cool that if someone slow is ahead of you or want to rest up and give the guy in front of you 5-10 minutes at the start of the stage, you have that option so your not loosing time passing people. Its hard to do that when you have mass start and 3/4's of the field is racing XC on the same course and won't want to stop.

I don't want to sound all critical as I really think Breck Epic sounds like a awesome week and its super cool to have multi-day stage races not in ski areas! Hopeful BrekEpic or something else evolve to become the Rocky Mountain TP or Trans Savoie. Kennebec Pass and Whole Enchalada enduro races then added 5 more days just like those two!
    Last edited by GrooveNinja; 01-23-2013 at 11:02 AM.