mtbr member
    Sep 2006

1st Enduro race. Bike advice please.

Currently on an on one 456 summer season/large with 140mm upfront but I'm 6ft 4 inches tall (238lb) and feel I need to change out my bike for something thats fits me better.

Budget is limited but could go to a Kona honzo 20L/XL or a Giant trance x2 29 XL.

I can get a demo of the Trance soonish but something is telling me Honzo would be a more wise choice as its kitted out with pretty much all I need off the peg. Anyone have experience racing super D/gravity enduro on these bikes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've ridden the Trance and think it is a great platform and personally I'd choose it over the hardtail but that's just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thank you for posting. Yes, I went out for a ride today on my on one and it almost feels like a child's toy underneath me plus I feel beaten up after a few hours of riding. Its capable bike but I don't think it big enough.

mtbr member
    My two cents: maybe I'm reading too much into the title of your post, but I wonder if you're missing the point of enduro if you're focusing your bike choice on what's best for enduro racing. Focus on the best bike for the riding you do every day, and just use that bike for enduro. You ride a lot more than you race, so it's probably better to get the right bike for what you do most. Especially since you haven't raced enduro before, so your views on the best racing set-up are gonna keep evolving. If you get into it, maybe you start making race-specific bike/component choices down the road, but to start off I say just race what you ride, that's the beauty of enduro.

Not trying to give you a hard time, just offering another perspective.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Might be worth looking into a bike like the santacruz hecker as well. Good bike for the money. I think any decent full suspension all mountain style bike will be faster than a hardtail, but like others will tell you hardtails are a blast to ride. Like the other guy said you will.brew riding more than racing.

If you really don't want to spent much money look in the a proper sized 456. They really are good frames (incredibly good for the money), if you want to lose weight get the carbon 456, that will save you over two puonds of weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Agree with the points above but something to consider is that the enduro race format differs significantly. In Colorado you'd be most comfortable on a 6+ inch AM ride (I ride a Canfield One) for events like Keystone and Winter Park which are very DH specific. On the other hand, the Pacific NW and other formats involve way more pedaling and are more like XC races. So look at the formats you intend to race and your every-day biking. I'd bet you could find a great deal on a used Carbon Fiber Nomad, Trek Slash, Specialized Enduro, etc. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    What is the budget? I would say to check out the Spec Enduro line. I would have suggested the Mojo HD Special Blend, but at 6'3" it might be tight. My buddy is 6'2" and loves his though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ordered a Trance x2 29er XL, going to upgrade/switch parts as I go. Should get it next week.

Formerly of Kent
    So, pedally, even downhill, means XC now? Or, just because you have to ride up the hills to, that's "XC"? Last time I checked, that's what "Enduro" is in Europe.

By that definition, anything other than chainless DH is XC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Been riding the trance 29 with a wide bar (780mm) and a shorter stem (60mm) for a few weeks and its been a blast. The front could do with something a little more aggressive in the rubber department the Hans dampf 2.35 trailstar looks like it will do the job. Also added a bionicon chain guide and some softer wider grips. Looking to sort out a dropper post as soon as possible but it may have to wait..ooh the saddle got ditched straight away for a charge spoon. Rides very well.