mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Your thoughts on weight weenies.

So, I have noticed on the forums every now and again this hate or disgruntlement toward weight weenies or people buying expensive parts. Here are my thoughts.
    If you don’t have the time and don’t revolve your life around MTB’ing why not compensate your lack of physical stamina with less weight to pull around on the trails?

I ride single track XC trails here in the pacific northwest and am currently training for my first race (a 30mile XC). I weigh 160lbs and do not huck at all. Largest drop I see is maybe 2ft once or twice a year so light weight parts need not worry with abuse from me.
    I can only afford to go out about once a week for a 2-4hr ride due to work, commitment to the navy reserves, what seems like never ending yard work projects and family (wife and 2 kids).
    I have the money and want that 2-4hrs to be as enjoyable as possible and still want to somewhat keep up with the people I ride with.

I have spent about $1500 in the last 3 weeks on weight reduction parts for my 2009 Pivot mach 4 with XT/XO group set. My bike currently weighs 26.21lbs before I add the following parts next week.

Stans crest 26” wheel set
    SRAM XO XG-999 cassette
    Forte Carve SPD pedals
    Alligator serration rotors
    Sella itallia SLR XP slow
    Shimano XTR M980 chain
    Professional bike fitting ($150)
    And some new shoes, Diadora escape 2

All were on sale.

The old adage goes “don’t upgrade, go up a grade”. This is very true but if your lifestyle does not permit or MTB’g is not the highest priority but you still want to enjoy it to its fullest with your current lifestyle and obligations…wheres the crime?

Would like your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by gks333; 04-11-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    2009 Mach 4 XT/XO group. Some carbon upgrades w/crank bros. cobalt wheel set.

Team Velveeta™

live-and-let-live

Quote Originally Posted by gks333 View Post
    So, I have noticed on the forums every now and again this hate or disgruntlement toward weight weenies or people buying expensive parts...
    I stand solidly in the live-and-let-live camp on this. People who ride are part of my tribe. Dissing on them is not something I think is the way to go. I try to focus on what I have in common with anyone who rides, including roadie leg-shaver types, DUI cowboys, DJ nutjobs, Shuttle Monkeys, and yes, even Tri-geeks. All those terms are affectionate, just as I refer to myself as a coder dweeb.

Personally, I'll try to get a little weight off the bike when it's reasonable. But I really should focus on the flab weight I carry everywhere, on the bike and off.

People who spend mega-bucks on gram savings really should be valued to a certain extent for helping out the bike industry. As somebody who has several friends who either own or work at shops, I like to see as much $$ as possible flowing into their world. As long as you can afford the money spent on high end parts, and your habit isn't taking food off your childrens' table, I say who is injured? Maybe you, if you make your bike too flimsy to handle your weight and/or riding style... but that's a different subject.

To a certain extent, I feel the same way about gram junkies that my old college roomate felt about nymphomaniacs. He always said in reverent tones, "We need to honor our nymphos. They spread a great deal of happiness in the world. It doesn't mean she's a bad person!"
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    To a certain extent, I feel the same way about gram junkies that my old college roomate felt about nymphomaniacs. He always said in reverent tones, "We need to honor our nymphos. They spread a great deal of happiness in the world. It doesn't mean she's a bad person!"
    Haha, too funny. Until you become a father of teenaged daughters.....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I should have stated that I weigh 160lbs and do not huck at all. The largest drops I see is maybe 2ft once a year. I understand and accept that the Mach 4 is a XC bike and should treated as such.
    2009 Mach 4 XT/XO group. Some carbon upgrades w/crank bros. cobalt wheel set.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Haha, too funny. Until you become a father of teenaged daughters.....
    Hmm, yes. I would imagine that lots of the stuff that we considered fun or funny back in college looks a little different through that lens!
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I always suggest that it goes in this order:

1. Lose the gut/get super fit

2. Now it is ok to become a weenie, as you can no longer lose much body weight to increase speed. Earn it.

** On the other hand, if the weight weenie custom build inspires the unfit/overweight person to get out and ride a ton, then hey...watcha gonna do!?

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I stand solidly in the live-and-let-live camp on this. People who ride are part of my tribe. Dissing on them is not something I think is the way to go. I try to focus on what I have in common with anyone who rides, including roadie leg-shaver types, DUI cowboys, DJ nutjobs, Shuttle Monkeys, and yes, even Tri-geeks. All those terms are affectionate, just as I refer to myself as a coder dweeb.

Personally, I'll try to get a little weight off the bike when it's reasonable. But I really should focus on the flab weight I carry everywhere, on the bike and off.

People who spend mega-bucks on gram savings really should be valued to a certain extent for helping out the bike industry. As somebody who has several friends who either own or work at shops, I like to see as much $$ as possible flowing into their world. As long as you can afford the money spent on high end parts, and your habit isn't taking food off your childrens' table, I say who is injured? Maybe you, if you make your bike too flimsy to handle your weight and/or riding style... but that's a different subject.

Well said. As someone who's spent the last 21 years paying rent by wrenching on bikes, I admit that the ugliness of envy has reared it's head before. It can be tough sometimes working on a bike that costs half of your annual salary when the owner hardly rides.
    But those were in my younger, angrier days.
    For the last several years, I've come to understand the value that many of those high dollar, weight-weenie bikes put on the tiny sliver of time they get to ride. I can't begrudge someone investing money (which they may have plenty of,) in order to make the most of their riding time (which they have little of.)
    And their purchases of XTR groups and high-end suspension not only makes it possible for guys like me to have jobs in the industry, but also allows companies to trickle down technology so that SLX is better that XTR was a few years ago.
    All that being said, acting like a jerk while flashing your AmEx Black card will get you made fun of back in the service department. We promise not to mock you, if you promise to treat us like people!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

nOOb
    May 2008
    I don't really care too much about what others do with their time and money. I won't tell someone what to do anymore than I would like another person telling me how I should conduct my business.

But, my personal philosophy is worry about the body first, the bike second. I would hate to be a 250 lb guy riding a 22 lb mountain bike, that just seems odd. Spending $1,500 to lose 2 lbs on the bike won't make me faster, it won't make the ride more enjoyable, it will just cost me money. The money is better spent on Gatorade, Perpetuem, and a cheap road or cross bike to get into shape.
    Not to sound offensive, but I liken it to an obese woman that spends $120 to have her hair done merely for looks, but refuses to exercise and watch what she eats.

JGL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Spend the money to buy time to ride. For example, hire someone to do the yard work. It sounds like you already have a great bike. Just my $0.02.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JGL View Post
    Spend the money to buy time to ride. For example, hire someone to do the yard work.
    Agreed! Yesterday, I mowed my lawn with money while I went for a two-hour ride, then a one-hour walk with my visiting Dad. Awesome!

But I do have a freaking four-hour lawn in April and May.

We've all got our quirks, whether it be weight weenie-ism, riding exclusively in flannel shirts, insisting on using a 10-pound pack for a two hour ride, but we're still all mtb riders, so live and let live, I say.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    biggest problem with online forums; people start believing all the BS they read. Who gives a flying fark what anyone else thinks? Especially someone you dont know and have never met. You want to buy stuff to make your bike lighter? Do it. Have fun.

and thanks for supporting the economy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Feral Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by gks333 View Post
    I have the money and want that 2-4hrs to be as enjoyable as possible and still want to somewhat keep up with the people I ride with.
    Well, the sad part is that it probably won't work to do that. The more you weigh the less advantage you get from dropping weight on the bike.

Losing weight on the bike has two major effects.

Your time on long climbs will be roughly x% faster, where x% is the percentage of weight of you + bike. (i.e. if you + bike weighs 200lbs, then
    if you lose 2lbs of bike weight, you're only 1% faster ).

It makes a big difference in your ability to accelerate. Humans are very low power engines, and ( A = F/M ). You change M just a little bit and
    you see a big change in A. For road bike riding in a pack, this can make a big difference your ability to make all those short accelerations to stay
    in the pack and close gaps. It can also help in MTB, sometimes if you can make a quick acceleration, you can get over a small hill or obstacle that
    would dramatically slow your speed.

I do think there is a point for everybody where bike weight starts to dramatically affect your speed, but I'd guess that's somewhere close to 20%
    of your bodyweight.

But if you think you're faster, you probably are. I love tinkering with bicycles and fooling around trying to get lighter gear is one way to indulge that love
    of tinkering, but the bang for the buck is really low unless you're already in the whippet class.

SORBA FAN
    I weigh 250. I ride a 2013 Rumblefish Elite. This weekend I stole my brother's Superfly 100 SL Elite and was WAY faster. I hurt my buddies (great fun!!). I don't think there is a "right" answer; do what you love. I ride XTR pedals. I wear spandex. I have a carbon water bottle cage on my bike and wear white shoes. Riding is all about fun and faster is generally more fun. If it makes you smile, then do it.
    Define love? My 2008 Gary Fisher HiFi Carbon. Is that Debbie Gibson singing, or is it my heart?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Weightweenies and other folks who spend their money on high tech parts are doing us a favor, because they often sell these parts used at a huge discount, and they are supporting the development of trickle-down technology for the rest of us.