mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Your game plan for lap ending with fast downhill.

Wondering what your strategy is for fast downhill sections. Here is the elevation map (http://knobbytireseries.com/Knobby%2...0Elevation.pdf) for the 9 mile loop. Fast downhill completes the lap. Going to be warm temps, hardpack covered with sand. Race starts at 9am and ends at 5pm.

Do you "save energy" by coasting on lap one?
    Pedal just enough to keep legs loose every lap?
    Hammer hard early until delirium sets in then go into coast mode?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That downhill looks steep enough that hammering really won't gain much in time. Get yourself up to speed as quick as possible and then try to be smooth on all the corners so you don't have to constantly sprint back up to speed. Since you are talking about an 8hr race, the time/energy saved is better used on the longer climb. Good luck!

I like mtn biking, too
    Sounds fun! Being faster on the DH's than most of my competitors has not helped me too much in an 8 hour. That being said, I've found that a good long DH to look forward to on each lap keeps up my motivation up and keeps me smiling. On dh's I usually go for flow, look way ahead, be smooth, and of course, try not to depart too radically from my current skill level as crashing costs time. If the DH is steep, then practice steeps. If rocky, spend time "sessioning" rocky trails.

Most of what I've read (and practiced) about the 8 hr. race format is to keep the effort light on the 1st 1 or 2 laps, but make sure you stay with your pack so you don't get stuck behind slower categories on the singletrack. Towards the end of the race, you are supposed to punch it when everybody else has lost steam. To do that requires a lot of long training rides where you start easy and finish hard. Best of luck!

Cheers
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson