Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

"You should really try EPO"

I was in a bike shop recently and a bike shop employees told me I should use EPO--after I shared I like to do master's class endurance races. I laughed and said, "Oh, yaw, I'm going to risk my health to beat Bob from Boise." I have always thought it was pathetic to use performance enhancing drugs unless you are Lance Armstrong and you have to use them to compete.

I recently found an article in a Bend, Oregon article paper detailing how drugs are on the uptick among master's athletes trying to find the fountain of youth. The article talks about how you can tell if someone is doing drugs if they all of sudden start winning races and never had in the past. It also talks about 50-year-old guys who are 2% body fat and how weird that looks.

Would you use EPO to move into the top 10?

Bicycle Paper.com :: Articles :: United States Anti-Doping Agency Exposes Northwest Residents

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Um, no. I would not use EPO to be more competitive. I'm also the guy has never bought an energy drink because I know it isn't good for my body. I enjoy racing, doing well, placing in my age group, sometimes winning, but it doesn't define who I am. I do not care that much. I'll just stick to riding locally if I determine racing isn't fun or rewarding anymore. There are people that have to win and do anything to win, but that isn't me.
    Last edited by Rod; 10-15-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Would you use EPO?
    Not now, not ever.

My die-hard roadie friends would agree that use of performance enhancing drugs is happening in masters racing, but I'm not sure how they really know with any certainty.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not sure it would vault me from dead last to the podium.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

AZ
    banned
    Not a chance. It would only move me up to mid pack finishes anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would have better results if I gave up my vices and trained, instead of adding another vice. If you read Tyler's book, you still have to train like a MoFo to rep the benefits of big blood. Plus blood transfusions are what the cools kids are doing now, none of that pesky EPO residue in your system for anyone to find.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    If you read Tyler's book, you still have to train like a MoFo to rep the benefits of big blood.
    Good read?
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by "Rod" View Post
    Um, no. I would not use EPO to be more competitive. I'm also the guy has never bought an energy drink because I know it isn't good for my body. I enjoy racing, doing well, placing in my age group, sometimes winning, but it doesn't define who I am. I do not care that much. I'll just stick to riding locally if I determine racing isn't fun or rewarding anymore. There are people that have to win and do anything to win, but that isn't me.
    Energy drinks are bad for you? damn! I'm addicted to RockStar's.
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

Livin' the Dream
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Good read?
    Yes, very good read. The level of detail he goes into is fascinating. It changed my opinion about the "level playing field" and granting all riders amnesty.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The Secret Race was very good but Hamilton kind of sounds like a guy with sour grapes. EPO raises a guy's risk for heart attack, pulmonary embolism, and stroke due thicker viscosity of the blood. Plus it is very expensive and like said above won't help you unless you are really at the top of your game and need a 10 percent increase in ability. If you are an hour behind the best riders you are screwed No EPO can save our slow butts!

mtbr member
    I can see the rational for pro's doping, even if I don't agree with it.

As a master, I am just out to prove to myself that I can accomplish something. No one else cares how I do. I don't see the point in masters doping.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    Energy drinks are bad for you? damn! I'm addicted to RockStar's.
    Bad for your wallet at the least. That's enough for me.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Not now, not ever.

My die-hard roadie friends would agree that use of performance enhancing drugs is happening in masters racing, but I'm not sure how they really know with any certainty.
    I was hearing that this weekend from a die hard roadie friend. Sad that its a topic that comes up so often now.

renaissance cyclist
    As one who is also a devoted roadie, I realize that I take my training and racing far too seriously and put it far higher on my priority list than any Adult with a career and family ought to be putting his amateur hobbies. I justify it, however, by telling myself that because it is exercise, it is filling a need; killing two birds with one stone, everyone should be exercising for the health benefits anyway, so why not spend little more time and money on making it something I can enjoying? By taking it to a point where I am negating the health benefits of exercise by drugging myself up for racing glory, I feel I would no longer be able to justify having the hobby at all.

Team Velveeta™

Tradsies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    ... EPO raises a guy's risk for heart attack, pulmonary embolism, and stroke due thicker viscosity of the blood. Plus it is very expensive ...
    Dude, it isn't expensive if you just hang around at the entrance to Amgen in Boulder offering to trade sex for EPO:

Boulder Cyclist receives 2 year ban from UCI | 303Cycling News
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah don't know why it is that important to beat everyone else ..... Just showing up is an epic win!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MTB Fanatic
    I'd use EPO just before bed to see what sex is like doped up....
    Nathan

Now broadcasting from CO
    Wouldn't dope... sounds like a bad idea...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Blood doping is the ticket. They can't test for that yet. I wonder how many guys have their blood in the fridge waiting to inject it back in. I guarantee there are Joes doing that right now.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    EPO in masters riders. Like it matters whether they win or lose. I ride because I enjoy it. I race to test myself. If there were no more events to ride, I would make up my own. If I place in a race, it's a bonus. Now get out there and ride.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Doping is a horrible idea unless you are racing the TDF.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    I'd use EPO just before bed to see what sex is like doped up....
    If you get an erection that lasts longer than 4 hours, be sure to cal 911. (and brag about it)
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Ha

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    If you get an erection that lasts longer than 4 hours, be sure to cal 911. (and brag about it)
    I hear the growth potential is fantastic

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    EPO should be an activity at all nursing homes.
    Sorry for the elderly quip,but I'm finding all this EPO crap funny!
    And I'm out of beer,SOB!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast