Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

XX1 for endurance racing?

I only have one mountain bike at the moment and I race mostly shorter XC races. But I plan on doing more endurance races this year. I am setting it up with an xx1 crank and running 1x10 with the normal 11x36 cassette. Am I crazy wanting to give up the 2x10?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am doing the same thing. And I am doing 50-100 milers and stage races. I plan on running a 30 or 32 front ring depending on the event.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    This thought has crossed my mind as well....mechanical simplicity, shifting simplicity and all, but I've not got to the point of actually doing it.

Livin' the Dream
    I prefer to keep the wider gear range of a 2x10. Although I used to say the same thing about triple cranks vs. double cranks. . .
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

Dirty South Underdog
    I'm all 2x10 until they make a perfect cassette: brickhouseracing Thing that needs to exist #327
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Your Best Friend
    I think by entertaining this idea, you enter into the realm of having to identify where you want/are going to race.

In Utah we have steep climbs from just about every trailhead and many of our rides will gain well over 10,000ft of vertical in the course of the day.

I say this because with a 3x system you have all of your options when you get tired. I've found with 2x I can ride almost all of it unless I'm really tired towards the end of the day. With a 1x11 it's even worse and you want to go 1x10 with a 36? I'd be walking the whole back half of the day.

Yes, I understand this is me and with more training I may be able to survive that gear range but why limit yourself. Especially with endurance racing. Many of us want carbon, FS and 29er to help alleviate the bashing we take over a 100 mile race and then we go and limit our gears? Not for me.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrouSS View Post
    I am doing the same thing. And I am doing 50-100 milers and stage races. I plan on running a 30 or 32 front ring depending on the event.
    Ditto that, building up a 1x10 FS with a 32T XX1 crank & XX 11x36 cassette for the same. BUT, I've been riding & race only SS, so any gearing is an improvement for me My main driver for the new rig is to have more fun on the rocky courses. I'll keep racing and training on the rigid SS on all but the toughest trails.
    2014 Seven Ti geared bike (in the womb!)
    2012 Seven Ti SS
    2012 Seven Steel SS w/rigid fork

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I was a ss'r for years as well. Any gears easier than a 32x20 is a blessing. A 30x36 is so much easier so I don't see it as a problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I think by entertaining this idea, you enter into the realm of having to identify where you want/are going to race.

In Utah we have steep climbs from just about every trailhead and many of our rides will gain well over 10,000ft of vertical in the course of the day.

I say this because with a 3x system you have all of your options when you get tired. I've found with 2x I can ride almost all of it unless I'm really tired towards the end of the day. With a 1x11 it's even worse and you want to go 1x10 with a 36? I'd be walking the whole back half of the day.

Yes, I understand this is me and with more training I may be able to survive that gear range but why limit yourself. Especially with endurance racing. Many of us want carbon, FS and 29er to help alleviate the bashing we take over a 100 mile race and then we go and limit our gears? Not for me.
    I am on the Colorado front range. Most of my racing is down here or up in the high country. I do most of my climbing in the big ring on my 2x10 system now. So I think having a 30 or 32 with a 36 in the rear would be no real problem. If the race was going to have lots of climbing there is always the 28 ring for the front. I may not be the fastest in the first half of the race but I would be better in the second half. It all comes down the training. Once you get use to the gearing I don't think it would be bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm in for XX1 this year. Front shifting is what is wrong with America.

32T front, 10-42 rear. The only thing I lose is the 39-11 combo and I barely ever use that. I'll just go higher cadence in the 32-10.

Now to just wait for the thing to get in stock/shipped at my bike shop

-Tom

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I only have one mountain bike at the moment and I race mostly shorter XC races. But I plan on doing more endurance races this year. I am setting it up with an xx1 crank and running 1x10 with the normal 11x36 cassette. Am I crazy wanting to give up the 2x10?
    With the XX1 system, you only lose 1 top and 1 bottom gear from a 2x10 setup. That right there is something that most everyone in the world is ok with. If you are in 26-36 you might as well be walking, and you barely spend any time in 39-11, unless you are superman.

With XX1 you can also pick your front ring for your race. Got a race somewhere super damn steep? Hell, throw a 30 on there and spin up all the climbs. Will you be riding in Florida? Go 36 on the front and have at it. You don't have to break the chain or pull the crank to swap a front ring. Only 4 bolts and done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    With the XX1 system, you only lose 1 top and 1 bottom gear from a 2x10 setup. That right there is something that most everyone in the world is ok with. If you are in 26-36 you might as well be walking, and you barely spend any time in 39-11, unless you are superman.

With XX1 you can also pick your front ring for your race. Got a race somewhere super damn steep? Hell, throw a 30 on there and spin up all the climbs. Will you be riding in Florida? Go 36 on the front and have at it. You don't have to break the chain or pull the crank to swap a front ring. Only 4 bolts and done.
    I know thats what I am thinking. I do ride up in the high mountains from time to time. But there is the 28 for that too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    On the three 100 courses I typically race, both the lower and higher gears would be sorely missed.

It's soooooooo tempting to simplify to the 1 x 11, but there would be a cost in competitiveness.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    My impression.....

If your making the choice at build, having just completed a XX1 build and racing it 50 miles this passed weekend on what many say is a bike beater of a course. I can honestly say I wouldn't even consider another groupo. Without question it exceeded every expectation I had. Perfection!

Happy Trails
    Last edited by justonegear; 03-18-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'd also like to go XX1. Does anyone know if the Mavic XX1 freewheel body will work on Crossrides? I really don't want to shell out for another set of wheels.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I guess it depends on the amount of climbing and how fit you are really.. The front chainring is easily swapped out for another when you want. Gear low to be safe. That way you will give your legs a chance to recover a bit here and there during the race. Maybe run a 28t (if you can find one for sale that is...??) and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I thought about going XX1 when recently re-gearing my Spec Epic. I chose to continue with the 2x10 and opted for a Rotar 2x10 crank leaving the remainder of the gearing XX. I do a lot of solo 24's, this is my primary 24 bike and I like gearing options that allow me to spin the hills as a race progresses. I could not replicate what I needed with XX1.

I have a 1x10 on a Spec Stumpy hardtail I use for races 8hrs or less and really like it. If I were to change that one out I'd definitely go XX1 eventhough I would have to rebuild the rear hub, etc. The XX1 certainly intrigues me.

My point in discussing the two bikes is along the train of throught of determining what events you will use the bike for and the the options different gearing systems provide. Good luck out there....

Happy Trails

Racing in Florida? Sure.

endurance xc
    I ride a 1x9, 33 front and 34 back. I ride lots of steep climbs and it only forces you to ride harder and get stronger. There are no drawbacks to a 1x9 or 1x10 setup. I say if you need something taller than 33x34 then you should be walking it.
    Last edited by VaNNage; 04-11-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Happy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by VaNNage View Post
    I ride a 1x9, 33 front and 34 back. I ride lots of steep climbs and it only forces you to ride harder and get stronger. There are no drawbacks to a 1x9 or 1x10 setup. I say if you need something taller than 33x34 then you should be walking it.
    No drawbacks? C'mon. I just checked Strava and my last rides were 1900, 2300, 800, 2800, and 3400 feet of climbing over 10 to 30 miles. I would have not been faster walking the climbs compared to 38x24 tooth front chain rings ... I don't got the game to go 33x34 on these rides in Arizona. I don't think you do either, but then again, maybe so. You know what they say: It's the Indian, not the arrow.

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    in florida, hahaha

i just raced xx1 at dragon's back this weekend. 7300' in 37 miles. xx1 was fine. ive got a 32 on the front and was able to flly on the flat run-in, and slowly plod up the climbs in the 42.

no issues. perfect group. theres a reason long course guys like jeremiah bishop use it.

Happy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    7300' in 37 miles. xx1 was fine. ive got a 32 on the front.
    R e s p e c t

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    na dude, i obviously don't know you, but i'd bet almost any guy who ride a mtb regularly wouldve been good on that gearing. take the xx1 plunge. you won't look back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    XX1 looks really good but do you guys not balk at the cost of replacing that cassette every year? Over here in the UK they are 300 ($450) each.

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    according to sram, the cassette lasts 4x as long bc of a specific type of hardening coating theyre using now on all of their new cassettes.

now whether you believe that or not, well, thats a different story.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast