Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You don't have to replace that cassette every year. Replace the chain as it gets close to 0.7 wear and you can do 2-3 chains through the cassette. The chains are $50.

Also the front ring will last forever since you aren't shifting.

My "expectation" is that the ring/cassette will last through 2 race seasons (this one and next) and in that time I'll go through 3 chains at $50 a piece. At the end of the 2nd season, I'll do a new cassette/ring.

Either way, X9(1) should be out by the end of 2013, so even if I wear out this $450 cassette in 1 season, I'll be able to buy an X9 level cassette for $250 this winter

-Tom

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    and you can already get xx1 cassettes new on ebay for 350. not great, but better than 450.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My average training ride is 5000ft over 30 miles. On 1x10 with a 34 front. No way I would ever go back to 2x10. The thing with with endurance racing you have know when walking is better than spinning. Energy conversation and stretching the legs can sometimes be better than spinning 100-110 RPMS up a steep climb.

If they made XX1 spider that would fit my XO carbon cranks, I would be all over it.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Dr. Frost
    There is no way to use that 10-42 cassette on shimano wheels, is there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Are the hubs shimano? If so, shimano does not have hub body as of yet for the XX1 stuff.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Dr. Frost
    Yeah, I meant XTR hubs. I mean....it's not super bling or whatever but my xtr/stans arch wheels are the nicest I've ever owned. Adding a new rear wheel to the XX1 price tag is just another nail in the coffin....but tickle down baby, trickle down, I'll be a 1X11 guy soon. Thanks

mtbr member
    If they made XX1 spider that would fit my XO carbon cranks, I would be all over it.[/QUOTE]

You can swap the spider on XO cranks....they are the same, you will need to change the cassette,der, chain and shifters tho.

Dr. Frost
    Or aftermarket rings by wolf tooth components and soon race face....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Say what? Can you just buy the XX1 spider?
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Dr. Frost
    Nah, you just buy one of these guys and use them on your "regular" cranks if you don't want to buy the XX1 cranks.

wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
    Nah, you just buy one of these guys and use them on your "regular" cranks if you don't want to buy the XX1 cranks.

wolftoothcomponents.com
    Nice brother! Be right back, retrieving credit card.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Dr. Frost
    Merely standing on the shoulders of others far more knowledgable

1X10 Extra tall chainring teeth?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Concerning gearing, I'm running a 40x28 with an 11-36 in the rear now, so if I went with a 38T XX1 setup, I'd pretty much only lose 1 gear for climbing (pretty similar to 28x32) and I'd have an even taller high gear, 38x10 vs 40x11. I suppose I could go for a 36T front and have about the same for tall gears, and only lose about a half a shift for low gear. Hrrrmmm, cost seems to be the only downside.

Geez, even the cassette is lighter than my cassette.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Anybody bothered by the big jump of near 17% from the 36 to the 42 (vs. ~12.5% from the 32 to 36)?

Mostly because of that, I decided at the last second to stick with 2 x 10 when building up my Czar (which is seeming to be the endurance bike of my dreams, so far).
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No. At that point, you're going so slowly, that if you're dropping to the 42, you want that gear to feel as easy as possible. I welcome that 17% with open arms when I need it.

Did the Cohutta 100 a few weeks back on XX1. It rained all day. It was muddier than you can imagine... for hours and hours and hours. XX1 was flawless. Perfect amount of gears with a 32t up front for the 13k of climbing. Chain was still good after all the mud/sand/dirt all day. It is a tough group.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I meowed out on Cohutta but got more miles on the XX1 one and doing a "big" 200 mile bikepacking ride with it next weekend. I also love that 17% jump, because if I'm using it, at that point, I'm not "chugging" anymore, I'm "surviving"

mtbr member
    Iím running a 1x10 using an XX1 Crankset with an XTR cassette and XTR rear derailleur (using the XX1 11 speed chain) and itís been perfect so far. It was fine at Cohutta

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Anybody bothered by the big jump of near 17% from the 36 to the 42 (vs. ~12.5% from the 32 to 36)?
    When you shift from 36 to 42 it doesn't feel like that much of a jump at first, but you can just cruise up really steep hills when you're spent. I can't really describe it, but it's strangely wonderful

The jump at the other end from 12 to 10 is bigger (20%). On the odd occasion I do find myself flicking between the 10 to 12 as I can't find the gear I want, but I think I just need to get use to it.

That's me being really picky though. I don't see me buying a bike with a FD ever again.

mtbr member
    Did my first race on XX1 last weekend (60 miler Battle of the Bear in Morrison, CO). Loved it. I ran a 34t front, and could see going to a 36 on courses where there are stretches of flat or fire roads. The shifting was perfect - quiet, smooth. I never used the 42 (the course featured short, punchy climbs rather than sustained uphills), but I'm sure that I will on upcoming races. I can't really see a downside to it at this point for marathon XC. You just have to get a sense for what front ring suits a particular race course, and then get out there and not think about your drivetrain at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just got my first ride in on the xx1 full group. Went 24 miles at our best trail. It's nice, really nice! The shifts are incredibly smooth and precise. Shifting up the cassette is almost silent. Shifting down is audible in a good way. We weighed each of the xx1 parts that went on the bike, as well as, the x9/x0 stuff that came off. I shaved 1.25 pounds! I do like the idea of mixing the xtr components. That may be the best all around choice but I really needed everything anyway so for me the full group was best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I just got my first ride in on the xx1 full group. Went 24 miles at our best trail. It's nice, really nice! The shifts are incredibly smooth and precise. Shifting up the cassette is almost silent. Shifting down is audible in a good way. We weighed each of the xx1 parts that went on the bike, as well as, the x9/x0 stuff that came off. I shaved 1.25 pounds! I do like the idea of mixing the xtr components. That may be the best all around choice but I really needed everything anyway so for me the full group was best.

Were you 1x10 prior to the conversion XX1?
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Merendon Junkie
    There some cases where I think XX1 will never work. I dont think it would be pratical at all where I ride. This is an example of a pretty long climb we regularly do, gaining somewhat like 5100 feet in about 10 miles. This time we went right back down but sometimes we ride the crest of the range. Yo could climb this with xx1 but you would need a smallish chainring but then you would be undergeared once the climb was over.

cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XX1 for endurance racing?-img_1908%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Were you 1x10 prior to the conversion XX1?
    No, I was 2x10 prior.

Yo could climb this with xx1 but you would need a smallish chainring but then you would be undergeared once the climb was over.
    I don't think so...

Actually, my first impressions were very good in regards to being under-geared after the crest. The standard xx1 group (32 front) offers pretty much the same high gear and low gear as my previous 2X10. My ride was on a fabulous single track that offers plenty of grinders. I used the 42 tooth a few times for fun but never once got into the 11 tooth. The 11 would have me at like 35mph and I would probably hit a tree and die. Of course I need to visit more terrain but my initial thoughts are to swap for a 30 front to find less drag in the happy medium range.

I read everything that I could get my hands on prior to purchasing the xx1 and I still had my concerns. Then I met a guy at the trail head that had this group. This guy is a well accomplished xc rider. He has over 500 miles on the xx1 along with a couple of races. He said that he honestly can't come up with a single complaint about the package.

The only thing that I'm a little uneasy about is derailleur life. Only because it's such a big change from what Sram has done in the past. The crank is rock solid. The shifter and cassette haven't taken on much change in build from previous xx components. The derailleur however, is completely different from anything that's been proven over time. What's the chances of this thing lasting like XTR? I don't know, time will have to tell on that.

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Racing in Florida? Sure.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

DaFaJa
    I am on 1x10 XT cassette & XO Type 2 and Love it..
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast