Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rat Bastard!
    Jun 2006

Are XTR pedals still a bust?

Relatively speaking of course. I've been holding off on a new set of 980's or 985's because I've read so many negative reviews about clogging with mud and bearing/bushing problems. Any kind words out there for these pedals or would I be better off looking for some old new- stock 970's that are still getting good reviews?

Thanks,
    Mike

mtbr member
    I wanted them as well but passed based on the reviews here. I bought XT for 72 dollars. At that price if they blow up I don't really care. I''d wait for the next generation of XTR to come out and go with a cheaper Shimano pedal for now. They all work, they just get heavier as you go down in price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't ride much in the mud (lots of stream crossing though so they get wet) but I have beating on my XTR's for over 2 years and haven't had any issues.

Rat Bastard!
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    I don't ride much in the mud (lots of stream crossing though so they get wet) but I have beating on my XTR's for over 2 years and haven't had any issues.
    980's??

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    I got a set of 970s when they first became available in 2007. They have been on my primary bike ever since. Tons of miles, many beatings. Bent part of the body and got replacement parts. Bearings are still smooth as butter. They have been amazing.

I hadn't heard about negative reviews of the current models, but that's probably because I'm not in the market for any. My 970s with six seasons are still bomber. (Now I'm probably jinxing myself, I'll snap a spindle on my next ride I bet!)
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    All the talk about mud shedding problems were likely from people used to crank brothers. If mud shedding is your primary goal then crank brothers might be a better option... just accept the fact that they break and need bearing rebuilds all the time. Mud shedding isn't THAT much worse on the 980s vs 970s. I've had a pair of the 970s for about 4 years with absolutely no problems. My initial pair of 980s had bearing issues after a year of racing and abuse. Shimano gave me a completely new pair without questions, after using them for another year of racing/abuse they are still perfect.

One thing I noticed on the 'new' pair of 980s is that they shortened the exposed pedal spindle by moving the pedal body closer to the crank. This seems to address the issue I had with the previous pair, which seemed to have issues due to the bearings having so much leverage on them due to such a long lever (pedal spindle). While a new version might be cool I'd buy another pair of the 980s without concern.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've had a set of 985s for over two years now. Mud shedding is excellent / never had a problem with that. I do live in CO, so it's pretty dry most of the year, but have gone out a few times when snow is melting and it gets sloppy. Still no issues.

I've beating them up a lot. They did start to get play in the axle to pedal interface. I called up Shimano and they said that it was a feature. You could run the pedals with a loose axle to pedal interface as some people liked that. It sounded like BS to me, so I emailed mountain bike action magazine about them and they posted a pretty comprehensive replay. I had to take them apart, grease the bearings and screw them back together. They still have a little play in them, but aren't as bad as they were (I'm sure a better mechanic than me can get them to fit better / I'm a bit of a hack). The biggest issue is the gold nut on them is really soft metal and rounds pretty easily.

I recently got a pair of carbon soled shoes, so the extra cage on the 985 vs 980 is now a waste for me. It did help with my older softer soled shoes. I also have the 780s on another bike and they work great. If I needed a new pair for my race mtb I'd probably just get the 780s. Double the price to save 33g isn't worth it for me and I don't notice the width difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoomer View Post
    980's??
    yes

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I snapped the axle deep inside the pedal on one of my 980's with a couple of thousand miles on them. Probably only put about 700 miles on the replacements last year so can't comment if they're any better than the earlier ones.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I had bought 2 pairs of 980s last year. Both of them got the same race and training abuse and the bearings and bushings are toast. I'm going to send them back and see what happens. Its a great pedal and the mud sheadding isn't too bad. The price is another story but hey I bought 2 pairs.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Suck. Inconsistent release and engagement and suck in mud. The older 970 were better.

Livin' the Dream
    After 3 Eggbeater failures, including one during a race; I went to XTR 980's. They've been rock solid just like every other Shimano product I've used. I still wouldn't discourage anyone from Eggbeaters, good pedal, just not for me. It's sad b/c if you read enough reviews, you will find that everything sucks.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

Rat Bastard!
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Asbury View Post
    After 3 Eggbeater failures, including one during a race; I went to XTR 980's. They've been rock solid just like every other Shimano product I've used. I still wouldn't discourage anyone from Eggbeaters, good pedal, just not for me. It's sad b/c if you read enough reviews, you will find that everything sucks.
    Definitely some truth in the last part of your comment. Folks will trash a product that gives them the slightest problem but there's a common thread in a lot of the reviews I've read. If there's a little smoke there may or may not be a fire but when there's a lot of smoke you better get a hose ready. I was hoping that more recent reviews would indicate that bearing play and bush displacement were problems more commonly associated with previous years and not the newer renditions but apparently those problems still exist. Since these pedals will be going on my Stumpy for trail riding I think I'll drop back and punt. Most folks rave about 970's and I can still find old new-stock. Should work well.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I wanted them as well but passed based on the reviews here. I bought XT for 72 dollars. At that price if they blow up I don't really care. I''d wait for the next generation of XTR to come out and go with a cheaper Shimano pedal for now. They all work, they just get heavier as you go down in price.
    I've always been a big fan of XT. I feel like you get last year's XTR after they get the bugs worked out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have had a pair for over a year now, they have been great.I have had the previous models as well. I will ask this from the negative comment providers. Did you guys re grease bearing and spindle or just ride them until they failed? I have re greased mine 2 times. If they spin super free then they need grease, if you ride in lots of water and mud they need grease. I only say this because I believe pedals are over looked when it comes to maintenance.

mtbr member
    Yes. Are XTR pedals still a bust?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358385257.694125.jpg. A known issue, and no warning.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Yes. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358385257.694125.jpg 
Views:	741 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	753718. A known issue, and no warning.
    Huge Shimano pedal fan.

I've got one set of newer XTR's that have been rolling since early 2011.

I've got another set I just started using in March '12. My riding was split between the two bikes, more on the older set. The newer set was taken off in late September '12. I was putting a bike together last week with the newer pedals, and the axle broke off in my hands while spinning the cranks.

Weird.

Still a huge Shimano fan. Going to get them warrantied and hope for the best.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Yes. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358385257.694125.jpg 
Views:	741 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	753718. A known issue, and no warning.
    My 15 month old 980's did this. But they were quickly replaced no questions asked. Second set have been pretty good except the seal walked its way out so required a strip, clean and grease.

mtbr member
    That's great they were replaced but Crank Brothers will do the exact same thing. The whole point of buying Shimano is to have something reliable. If they're both going to break you might as well use Eggs and lose a lot of weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have the XTR's and they have been worry free. Great pedals

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a pair of 970s and 980s. The reliability of the 970s are laughable in a good way. They probably have well over 10K miles on them and not a single issue. The 980s had a "known issue" early on (play in the pedal/axle) and were warranted with no questions asked. The new set have 2300 miles and still feel like new; no excessive play. I think the early production 980s had issues, but they seem fine now..

Happy Trails
    I have a new pair (2 months ) that so far are working fine. My riding buddy has an older pair (of the current model) that have crapped-out bearings twice before and now trouble for third time. I think Shimano replaced once and LBS rebuilt once and now he's having trouble again. He's not a faker or troll so I think there is some justification for the reliability concerns.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My XTRs have been bomber. No issues, no problems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Over 60hrs racing on 980's last year with no issues. They've been through quite a few deep mud puddles as well. I do find they get packed up with snow quite easily though, but what doesn't I guess.

Undercaffienated
    My almost two-year old XTR trail PD-M985 drive side pedal just failed:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast