mtbr member
    Sep 2013

XTERRA Tri Training

I have a background in running, and have always been a bit of a natural on the road bike. I did quite well at quite a few road tris (won 2 over-all and 2nd overall in the other) last year and wanted a bigger challenge this year. I live in Wyoming so the XTERRA national championships are an easy drive for me and fitness-wise I know I can get at a level that could get me there. I am flying slightly blind for training as it is though. I hired a coach last year for road triathlons, but she has no experience mountain biking.

Are there a set of must-haves type of workouts I need to get in every week? In running, the "tri-pod" typically stands on the legs of a long run, a threshold run, and some interval/race-pace specific work.

Is there a similar analogy with mountain biking, and if so, how do you work technical riding into your weekly routine.

I'll likely be biking 3-4 times a week and at least one ride will be 3-5 hour long ride with lots of sustained climbs (I have a 10-12 mile sustained climb that gains around 5,000 feet). What else should I mix in there for the other 2-3 rides assuming I'll get in recovery while swimming/running?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That's a fun one.

Caveat:
    1. I raced it in 2010 and my advice is assuming the course hasn't changed (sorry, too lazy right now to look it up).

The trail isn't technical. Train for sustained climbing. Nearly the entire course is a climb. The skill you'll need to be good at is passing people in narrow sections. Go out to the longest and steepest hill you've got around and practice short, explosive intervals. Get out of the saddle when you're doing these.

When you get out of the water, there's a couple miles on the road before you hit the singletrack and work your way up to Snowbasin. I would try to pick off as many people ahead of you as you can here.

I got a coach and trained for the XTerra in McCall and the XTerra Utah (it was on the same course and same day as the nationals). My training plan had a lot of road riding in it because it was easier to set and achieve hr goals in my workouts and the convenience of riding from my house. Weekends consisted of mountain bike rides with a target heart rate and a specified number of intervals that I could do at any time during the ride. If I had the time during the week, my training rides were on singletrack.

The run is straight up Snowbasin at the start, tapers off, and then steep down to the finish. This course also was also not technical.
    Last edited by koudja; 01-26-2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added details