Thread: XC Tire Setup?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

XC Tire Setup?

Just curious what everyone is running for tires during long(ish) xc races.

I ride a 29er steel HT, currently on WTB Bronson 29x2.2's in front and back. I need new tires, and have been looking into several options. Either switch over to maxxis and go with an Ardent 2.25 front and Aspen back, or two Ardent 2.25's. I run Aspen's on my commute bike, which are light and fast, but not enough grip for steep climbs and decents on our local fire roads. I'm also considering staying with the Bronson's on my current set up.

What are you guys running?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Fast in the back, and a bit more grip up front, especially if significant singletrack descending is involved.

Brand choice is so personal. Some options for consideration (F/R): Ardent/Aspen, Racing Ralph/Rocket Ron, IRD Fire/Specialized Fastrak (my personal training combo), etc.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Gumnut Peddler
    Raching Ralph/Rocket Ron for me.

Only downside is that I have found both do not like riding on hard surfaces. They chew themselves out quickly on the road.

I try to avoid how much time is spent on the road with my XC bike, but sometimes it is nice to be able to ride from home to the trails and then back again.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've done a few different combinations. I was riding with a Maxxis Crossmark 2.1" and a Panaracer Dart for a while. Then the Crossmark and a Nevegal 2.1". Put a 2.1" Nobby Nic on the back for a while. Now I'm doing the RaRa/RoRo combination but in 2.25" and I like it a lot, although I haven't raced that combination yet.

It's really all about terrain. The Nevegal was motivated by some sketchy surfaces on the trails one of the places I ride. The current setup is motivated by my ass is fatter than in 2009. I'm finding I like a little fatter tires with a moderate knob.

Do you ride singletrack?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Twin Six METAL Team
    I've been running Maxxis IKON's, and they've worked really well for me. Schwalbe Racing Ralph's have also worked well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Most of the races I'll be doing will be a combination of fire road and single track... I might try Ardent 2.25 front and Bronson 2.2 in back. I tried an Aspen in the back tonight, and it just didnt have enough bite climbing a steep local fire road.

MTB B'dos
    When I ran XC tyres I loved Crossmark R/Ignitor F, these days if I wanted an XC setup on a regular basis it would be Crossmark R/Ikon F. FYI, the Ikons are WAY faster rolling than the Ardent and I trust them more in terms of no dead spots in the tread, don't let the tread design fool you with them, they are amazing tyres I run on our chunkiest trails here that are full of rocks, roots and covered in moss and slippery as hell.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    When I ran XC tyres I loved Crossmark R/Ignitor F, these days if I wanted an XC setup on a regular basis it would be Crossmark R/Ikon F. FYI, the Ikons are WAY faster rolling than the Ardent and I trust them more in terms of no dead spots in the tread, don't let the tread design fool you with them, they are amazing tyres I run on our chunkiest trails here that are full of rocks, roots and covered in moss and slippery as hell.
    The Crossmark R/Ikon F sounds interesting, I realize the Ardent are not as fast rolling, but they seem to be a bit more durable. Is that not true?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Flash HT - Ikon EVO front and rear-tubeless. No flats ever.

25psi. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by catbutt23; 11-07-2012 at 10:25 AM.

MTB B'dos
    Haven't had my Ikons long, well about 4-5 months, but I have a lot of tyres to swap between, think maybe logged about 300 miles of dirt and tarmac on them and they look good. You won't need to worry about wear as much on a front tyre, not nearly as much as on the rear. I think if you're really looking for XC fast, but with some predictable grip the Crossmark/Ikon combo would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon93108 View Post
    The Crossmark R/Ikon F sounds interesting, I realize the Ardent are not as fast rolling, but they seem to be a bit more durable. Is that not true?
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    +1more for Ikon in Front, Crossmark on rear. In wet sticky mud conditions the crossmark does not grip at all, at least for me

I've got a set of Rocket Ron's on another bike f&r and it does great as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleologist View Post
    +1more for Ikon in Front, Crossmark on rear. In wet sticky mud conditions the crossmark does not grip at all, at least for me

I've got a set of Rocket Ron's on another bike f&r and it does great as well.
    I'm another that likes the IKON/Crossmark combo for 95% of terrain that I encounter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What kosmo said.

A grippy enough tire for your conditions on the front coupled with a less grippy but faster rolling tire than that on the rear.

I personally use an Ardent front/IKON rear combo. I find that the extra grip of the Ardent is worth it, especially in singletrack and definitely if it rains. If there was a super dry dusty XC race where there wasn't much singletrack, I'd throw another IKON on the front.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^What Ardent do you use, the 2.25? I just went to the LBS to look for tire options; they basically tried to sell me what they had left on the shelf. A pair of KingTrails 2.4's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    29er FS. 2.25 Ardent front, 2.2 IKON rear. The 29er 2.4 Ardent is a MONSTER.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Ghetto tubeless Minion DHF 2.35 front + HR 2.35 rear for trail and XC. Would race a tubeless 2.2 IKON front and rear.

MTB B'dos
    You could use one on the front and you probably wouldn't ever have to worry about grip there again. Throw something light and fast on the back and enjoy the drift
    ^What Ardent do you use, the 2.25? I just went to the LBS to look for tire options; they basically tried to sell me what they had left on the shelf. A pair of KingTrails 2.4's.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^ Where are you guys ordering tires? Pricepoint has a good price, until you add their WAY overpriced shipping. My LBS doesnt have the Ikons/Crossmark/Ardents.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Team form.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Team form.
    That doesnt help me much, unless you are ready to take my order...

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nope. But Google Shopping is competitive with anything I get through my team.

mtbr member
    That doesnt help me much, unless you are ready to take my order...
    CRC or Jenson for me

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Specialized Captain 2.0 up front and Renegade 1.95 rear. Tried Fastrak up front but was too sketchy for our conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    check bike29 for some killer deals on tires........

SALE!