mtbr member
    Jun 2011

XC race weekend before peak 100 miler. Bad idea?

Two of the races I want to do best at happen to fall right next to eachother. The Iron Horse MTB race in Durango and the Barn Burner 104 in Flagstaff.

The Durango race is a week before, and would be 3x7mi laps.

Bad idea to do those so closely together? I know in running, it was routine to do a shorter "tuneup" race, like a 1500m the weekend before a peak 5000m. But I'm fairly new to cycling and not sure if that's a bad idea, given that the race distances are longer..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That's a great time to do a XC race. Perfect length and intensity. Good time to stretch the legs out and open them up for the big event.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    "Fairly new to cycling" sounds like you're not gunning to win both events, so I would say go ahead and hit them both.

The reverse order would be deadly!

Go VERY easy in between.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    A week to recover from a cross country ride seems fine. I never get that blown up from 20 race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Who cares, have fun at both. Why fret needlessly beforehand....when you can enjoy both Durango and Flagstaff back to back?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm only wondering about it because I'm trying to qualify for Leadville at the flagstaff race! Ha. So I want that to go well. And yeah, I just upgraded to cat1 so I'll definitely be back of the pack... not trying to win. Especially since cat1 races with pro in Durango.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Seriously live life and don't let others define it for you...if you make Leadville, enjoy a loooong weekend prescripted to you by others.

But do know that there are other options out there and something like an NUE event is a much more nobler and rewarding path...... in my opinion.

As for doing both, yes doing an xc race before an endurance race generally does help you...just don't try to race high intensity for the endurance race or face high probability of bonk.
    Last edited by Timo; 04-18-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Grip it and rip it.
    Is Cat 1 a condition like Type 2? Seriously live life and don't let others define it for you.
    Sounds like you're being a bit patronising there. The guy just wants some advice.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post

But do know that there are other options out there and something like an NUE event is a much more nobler and rewarding path...... in my opinion.
    Go slow and steady, just like your lady tells you to.
    Speaking of patronizing...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Damitletsride! View Post
    Sounds like you're being a bit patronising there. The guy just wants some advice.
    Its the internet, no reason to get excited, but I fixed it for you.