mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Wtb XC bike and not break the bank for me 6'3" 230lbs 34" inseam help..

I've been looking to ride a mtb. I 've not ridden in 20 years or so I don't know nothing new but what I've ridden at the lbs rode like a beach cruser? I've tried to be clear that I want to race XC but most of the bikes have a upright ridding posture and feel dead. I don't have a lot of money to spend so... Does anyone make a good XC race bike for about 1,000 at least have a frame that fits me?

Happy Trails

Airborne Goblin. There is a manufacturer's thread in the Forums on Airborne and BigDaddyFlyer, their product guy will answer any questions you have. Hard tail 29er with X5 and X7 is just over a grand. Let us know what you decide.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Airborne Goblin tt is only 62 cm or 64 cm Iam looking for something with a longer top tube so I can be more aggresive without a super long stem I don't like going over the bars....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think I would like about 28" from seat post to handle bars.

Happy Trails

It's not a road bike. 22 inch seat tube will fit you fine, is what I think. I'm 6-1 on a 24.3 inch effective top tube (~62 cm) .... You don't want anything longer than 64 cm. 64 cm top tube and a 90 mm stem is .... ~28 inches.

From Airborne's web site:
    General Sizing Range
    16" = 5'2" to 5'7"
    18" = 5'7" to 5'11"
    20" = 5'11" to 6'2"
    22" = 6'2" to 6'5"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    It's not a road bike. 22 inch seat tube will fit you fine, is what I think. I'm 6-1 on a 24.3 inch effective top tube (~62 cm) .... You don't want anything longer than 64 cm. 64 cm top tube and a 90 mm stem is .... ~28 inches.

From Airborne's web site:
    General Sizing Range
    16" = 5'2" to 5'7"
    18" = 5'7" to 5'11"
    20" = 5'11" to 6'2"
    22" = 6'2" to 6'5"
    yes L 20" to Xl 22" is what my size is. I can ride a bike more upright however there are trade offs. let us say I can produce 200 watts of power in an upright position on flat ground I will be travling about 24km/h while in the more race position for the same effort I will be travling at 30km/h.

I think I am missing something besides loss comfort and the ability to huck. I am old and dont huck as for comfort I"ve been know to ride my bent bike on the trails it's kick ass comfort

Any help would be appreciated

think
    Jul 2008
    Travelling at 24 vs 30 km/h due to aerodynamic rider position on flat ground is a consideration when buying a mountain bike?

I screwed up.

Happy Trails

Quote Originally Posted by Otctind View Post
    :Any help would be appreciated
    Maybe take up golf?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is that your actual inseam? I only ask because my riding buddies never measure their actual inseam, they just state their pant length... -I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam, my 20" Kona Kula dlx 29er leaves me about 1" of standover. It measures 20" from bb to top of the seat tube/collar.
    If money is tight, consider older rim brake bikes and 26ers, I have just as much fun on my old 26ers as I do on the newer 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

OK I may be totaly wrong here but in xc ridining are there still flat spots riding? In any case I like to ride the bike to where I'll ride off road in portland there are great...good... bike trails that I can ride to so if I can have a comfortable riding position and get there faster and use less energy that is the goal.

Golf? Realy is fun. Thanks that helps alot

As for my inseam I where a 32" pants inseam... But my real inseam is 34" I used two diffrent ways for this caculation: measuring to the top of my hip bone and then doing some math, Standing flat footed with my back to the wall and a book up against my junk. These two ways said I have a 34" inseam.

I did not think this is a hard question who makes longer top tube mtb? I think the best answer I got so far was form a LBS We don't belive in bike fiting... So I asked a follow up question so the length of crank arms don't make a diffrence? answer we don't belive in that. So some one 6'3" and some one 5'2" should have the same crank arm legnth? Why not.....

The White Jeff W

Re: Wtb XC bike and not break the bank for me 6'3" 230lbs 34" inseam help..

At your weight id be looking at something burly like a Canfield Yelli Screamy. Its not traditional xc bike geometry but they're playful and agile for a 29er. Mine is 28 lbs with a pretty stout build. 25 lbs should be no problem. You would want an xl

:edit: I just reread your post and saw the part about staying sround $1000. In that case the Yelli probably wouldn't work for you.

Take a look at On One bikes. Onone.uk. they have some pretty reasonably priced bikes with nice builds
    No moss...

Happy Trails

I think what we are trying to say is that buying and racing a bike that is too big for you is unlikely to improve your aerodynamics and raise your cross country speed by 6 km/hr. Nevertheless if, during the last 20 years of not riding, you have reached a different conclusion, then have at it. It's your world .... Ride what you love.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New way of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    I think what we are trying to say is that buying and racing a bike that is too big for you is unlikely to improve your aerodynamics and raise your cross country speed by 6 km/hr. Nevertheless if, during the last 20 years of not riding, you have reached a different conclusion, then have at it. It's your world .... Ride what you love.
    Oh I see now and thank you all for you guidince. I don't want a bike that is to big for me. I was just use to riding bikes with a longer top tube, shorter seat tube and like 72 deg head tube ang. I don't think they mass produce this kind of bike not good for down hills not fun to ride ( they don't sell and crash alot)

I was going off some old bike fit numbers from 1990 for a xc race bike.
    Just got done riding a old 26 ht xc bike and I am beat up. Time is the saddle of diffrent bikes gives the best answers.

I thank all of you for your great knowledge.

So my next thread full suspension for me.
    My buttox is still after that ride.