Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

World Solo 24 title up for grabs?

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  jav1231 
#1 ·
I read over on sologoats blog that Chris Eatough and Craig Gordon are not attending Worlds this year. If that's for real, it looks as though the "title" will be up for grabs.

Or................will wherever they both do show up become the worlds?

Interesting if it's true, I have no idea if it is or not.

#2 ·
2007 World 24 Hours of Adrenalin Championships

I received the following email today...

2007 World 24 Hours of Adrenalin Championships

Just like the Tour de France or any other sporting dynasty it never lasts forever and while our fringe sport has only been around since 1999, 2006 saw the end of a dynasty. What seams like only yesterday, the 2001 championships seamed to be over before it started. Klein rider, Rishi Grewal had come out of retirement (1999 winner) to face off with Cannondale's Tinker Juarez and the consensus was that this was a two horse race. What took place (104 degree starting temperature) was a 12 round prizefight with both riders determined to knock the other out within the first couple of rounds. Not unlike Rocky and Apollo both riders knocked each other out early on, only to leave an unknown rider named Chris Eatough to barely win (10 minutes) over a local 40-year-old racer named James Dover. This was the beginning of a dynasty.

Over the next five years Eatough found a way to win under every possible condition and course design. It's not to say that others did not have the ability to beat Eatough rather they were unable to strike when the opportunity was there. The champion Eatough always found a way to elevate his game to new highs along the way.

They say that history repeats itself and not unlike the 2001 event when no one was watching Eatough, in 2006 no one was watching one of the many Australians. After all it was to be Eatough matching Lance's 7th consecutive victory. The documentary film crew failed to even interview any of the Australians. What happed next was a full-blown assault with a relatively unknown Australian named Craig Gordon who lapped the six-time champion.

And so the bar is set once again and while Eatough had registered his attendance, he recently decided to take a pass at this year's event. Also the chap from down under Craig Gordon who was motivated to return for round two "I have dreamt many times about defending the Championship this year" is sticking close to home and will sit it out for this year while supporting a spouses dream.

So folks this edition of the World Solo Championships is wide open in 2007!

#3 · (Edited)
hamburgerhelper said:
I received the following email today...

snip

They say that history repeats itself and not unlike the 2001 event when no one was watching Eatough, in 2006 no one was watching one of the many Australians. After all it was to be Eatough matching Lance's 7th consecutive victory. The documentary film crew failed to even interview any of the Australians. What happed next was a full-blown assault with a relatively unknown Australian named Craig Gordon who lapped the six-time champion.

snip
The deleted scenes of 24 Solo has Poz talking about Gordon in the car interview which I think is on the way down to worlds; he mentions him, says he might be someone to watch as he was the Aussie national champ (or something to that effect, going from memory), and was someone they knew little about. While the crew didn't interview Gordon before the race, they didn't interview a lot of people, including Brandon.

As Guitar Ted mused, my guess is that Moab has become the 'unofficial worlds' this year to a lot of people. (edit: for the men)

#4 ·
It still sounds like the biggest talent pool will be at the Adrenalin Worlds in Laguna Seca. Gordon isn't coming because he is helping his wife set up a new business so he's not racing anywhere. Plus it still seems like the biggest international contingent of riders comes to this race. I don't think you see too many from Canada, UK, Australia going to Moab. Nor are you getting the same number of soloists there.

As for Eatough, who know's why he is not going....I know he says because he wants the NUE series title....but looks like Nat Ross gave him a good run a few weeks ago at the Nationals so maybe he's afraid of being beat 2 years running. Regardless, but it's nice to see different people winning the title.

My money would have been on Dave Harris had he not jacked up his ankle at BC Bike Race (unless he is planning some miraculous recovery). Now it has to be on Nat Ross. As for the women, I think it will come down to Linda Wallenfels and Monique Sawicki.

Any other predictions?

#5 ·
sperky said:
I don't think you see too many from Canada, UK, Australia going to Moab. Nor are you getting the same number of soloists there.
Come down this side of the Equator. We had 212 solos in our Aussie race last October.

sperky said:
My money would have been on Dave Harris had he not jacked up his ankle at BC Bike Race (unless he is planning some miraculous recovery). Now it has to be on Nat Ross.
Any other predictions?
We have more riders from where Gordo came from :thumbsup: I can think of 3 Aussies who would be within a lap of Gordo after 24 hours, but only 2 of them are going to the USA for September... Andrew Bell, John Claxton.

#7 ·
IMHO the top three boyz at Worlds this year are Hendershot, Ross and Tinker. All three of those guys have been denied the top spot for the past 7 years. They all have oodles of experience. If it was a contest of who could endure the most pain and misery Hendershot would win out every time. I call for much pain and a Hendershot win.

On the women's side Lynda Wallenfels, Pua and Rebecca Rusch are the top three. I think Rebecca is the strongest. She's the most consistent 24 hour racer in the US right now. She probably the toughest mentally too. I'm pulling for Rebecca to win.

Good luck to all of 'em! We'll be partying at the SM 100 right around the time the victors are crowned in Monterey.

#8 ·
I say Mr. Ross....

from latest results he's riding well, very well. Good luck Nat!

Edit....and for the SS class watch out for the new youngster (21!) on the block Dez Wilder; Barenaked Cannondale. Kid can ride!

#13 ·
Tinker pulled it off! A well deserved win. Looks like Nat, Ernie and Mark were pretty close to each other.

You heard it from me. I called the women's race. I'm glad Rebecca won. I was rooting for her all weekend from 3000 miles away. After my wife, I'd bet every time on Rebecca. She rocks! :rockon:

We were in Virginia racing the SM100. We couldn't get the Worlds results right away. I had to call Mark Hendershot on his cell phone to get the skinny! Mark said that he knew the heat was going to mess people up, so he rode a smart race and waited for it to open up. :thumbsup:

In 24 Hour racing experience wins out more often anything else. 24 Racing is about talent, but it's also about mental toughness, consistency, preparation and patience. The win is not always to the "swiftest, but to those who keep on" riding and use their heads! ;)

#17 ·
Tinker pulled off the most strategic, most impressive win I've ever seen in a 24. He shadowed Kelly for over 20 hours at about 10 seconds back (!) as in the pre-race meeting it was announced collusion was a no-no. In other words, no working together, no drafting. Tinker just marked whoever was at the front, which happened to be Kelly. They lapped the rest of the field. I was crewing for LW, and every time we'd see the pair come through Tinker looked to be just cruising on an evening stroll - except he was moving fast. But he was so relaxed...

On lap 18 he dropped the hammer. Having done quite a few of these myself, and seeing Tinker on the rivet more than once...it's hard to imagine how he gathered the strength to pull that 18th lap. One hour, two minutes. Unbelievably fast, and within 2 minutes of the fastest lap of the race for anyone. His gap grew to 25ish minutes in a single lap. Simply amazing. Patience and fury defined.

Huge kudos to Kelly Magelky too. Jeesh, he knew what was coming all along. Can you imagine being shadowed by Tinker for 20 hours? That'd crack the average bear ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.