mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Wingnut for solos and hundies?

Thinking about a wingnut for all day rides, solo races and all that. I already have a 100 oz camelbak bladder so I need one of the models that works with that. I am leaning towards the Hyper 3.0 but worried it will be too big...anybody got suggestions on which one. They sure are pricey, could just keep the bottles I guess but I like the option of carrying more water.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've had the smaller version of the wingnut for over four seasons now. I've worn it for three Lumberjacks and one Cohutta plus countless long rides. I absolutely love it. The lower postition on the back makes it really comfortable and stable. Plus, the side pockets are easily accessible while riding and hold a ton. I had sworn off packs after trying out two or three different camelbacks and a couple of other systems. When I started getting into the longer races and rides, I needed something to carry more water and food. I had heard good things about the wingnut and decided to give it a try as a sort of last ditch effort. It's been great. I want to get a new one only because mine's so old and dirty, but honestly after four seasons there's really nothing wrong with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Love mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K
    Thinking about a wingnut for all day rides, solo races and all that. I already have a 100 oz camelbak bladder so I need one of the models that works with that. I am leaning towards the Hyper 3.0 but worried it will be too big...anybody got suggestions on which one. They sure are pricey, could just keep the bottles I guess but I like the option of carrying more water.
    I've got the Hyper 3.0. It's much lighter than a Camelback Mule, but carries as much. It made a huge difference in getting weight off my arms - much less tiring at the end of the day.

For racing only, you could certainly get by with something smaller as you don't often need to fill with 100oz - you can usually refill at aid stations and only carry as much as you need to from one stop to the next. In a race, I rarely have more than 2 bottles worth in the bag and Perpetuum in a bottle on the frame. But, for long self supported days, it's great.

mtbr member
    1+

Wingnut packs are the best. It's not as nice a no pack at all, but if you need to carry stuff on your back the Wingnut packs are hands down the best packs I have used. The down side is that they are expensive, but they are also hand made in the USA. I love mine for big ride days 5+ hour rides back country adventures.

Team Bionic Pickle
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckred
    For racing only, you could certainly get by with something smaller as you don't often need to fill with 100oz - you can usually refill at aid stations and only carry as much as you need to from one stop to the next.
    I second that opinion. I have the Wingnut Assault that I use for endurance races, and the 50 oz volume works out perfectly. That's equal to about two large water bottles, and that's plenty to span between aid stations on 100-milers or laps on 8, 10, 12, or 24 hour events.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I was thinking of one of the bigger ones to use for all day rides too...no aid stations.

mtbr member
    I purchased the Hyper 3.0 and it has a lot of room. I guide MTB tours in the summer, so I carry a lot of stuff.

Pack list:

Medium size first aid kit
    Sam splint
    white athletic tape
    trail map
    multi tool and trail side must haves
    2 spare tubes
    100oz hydration pack
    Topeak Mtn. Morph hand pump
    3 whole sandwiches
    2 16oz container full of snack foods (fruit, trail mix, etc)

I can fit all of that in the pack, plus the pack has a draw cord on the outside so I can strap any extra layers of cloths I feel I don't need on.

Again, best pack I have used. Plus is has a safety whistle built into the chest strap buckle.

Ride Everything
    I'm considering a(n) Hyper 3.0 to replace my MULE NV, but I'm a little concerned about construction/materials. I've read some posts where straps have frayed and zippers have blown out.

Comments?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    I'm considering a(n) Hyper 3.0 to replace my MULE NV, but I'm a little concerned about construction/materials. I've read some posts where straps have frayed and zippers have blown out.

Comments?
    I just lookded at both my Wingnut and Mule side by side. The Mule has about 5 years of heavy use and is still in fine shape. The Wingnut has one season and is also in fine shape - still looks new other than some mud spattered on it.

The Wingnut is certainly of lighter materials and appears less sturdy than the Mule - and I remember when I weighed both of them, I was surprised at how much ligher the Wingnut is.

If you look at them side by side, the Mule is much stouter in appearance. But,, at least after one season, I don't see anything on the Wingnut that looks like it's starting to show wear. The zippers are smaller than on the Mule. But so far, no problem.

So, if long term durability is top prioritiy, the Mule would probably be in the lead. Comfort and weight puts the Wingnut ahead. The Mule is of course cheaper. So, don't know if that helps, but pick your most important points and there you go...

bike junkie
    Dec 2007

Highly recommended

I have the 3.0 for smaller rides and the Adventure pack for really big days (and multi-days), they're great packs. The lowrider system is the bomb, totally stable. I got the 3.0 used a few years ago and the AP about a year and a half ago, I've used them a lot and they're both still in great shape. No strap or zipper issues. I expect them to last for many more years. That sailcloth is a lot tougher than it looks. And like another poster said...hand made in the U.S.
    Spend time behind bars

mtbr member
    Got the hyper 3.0 after a 24hr race that was an absolute mud- fest. My old camel back (chaos) got soaking wet and HEAVY! Plus the fact that I couldn't get anything out or in with out taking the pack off, or ask a riding partner to do so. I started looking around and found Wing Nut on an endurance thread. It made me nervous not to be able to see the pack in person and the fact that they don't come with their own bladders. I love every thing about the pack and it holds way more than my c.b. chaos did. The space is very well thought out in that; if you don't have it filled it is very small and if needed, it just keeps expanding to fit everything.
    Things I like:
    1)lite
    2)can reach two mesh pockets,two zip pockets and one shoulder mesh pocket while riding. This is the best feature as I can reach and get a cliff bar, eat half, then put it back for later and never skip a beat. (empty wrappers go in the other side)
    3) nothing to soak up water and get heavy.

The only thing that I can nit pick about is the fabric. It is a little noisy so it wouldn't be good for ninjas and it could only hold about 50oz when I used my 70oz camel bladder. So I ordered a new square bladder from www.wildlandwarehouse.com (95 oz). The first time I used this pack was at the Tahoe Sierra 100 and I was glad I paid the next day air to get it there for that event. IMHO it is the best pack out there. I would recommend getting the assault if you're racing on supported courses only. For race and trail riding where you need food, tools, rain jacket etc go with the 3.0..

Ride Everything
    Could someone post pics of their Hyper-3.0?

Also, does a CamelBak 100oz bladder fit well in the 3.0?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Bladder

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    Could someone post pics of their Hyper-3.0?

Also, does a CamelBak 100oz bladder fit well in the 3.0?
    Fits fine in mine...

No pics, sorry,

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by foot hill
    It is a little noisy so it wouldn't be good for ninjas
    Crap! I just started ninja training so I guess this won't work - LOL

I've actually got the Deuter Race X Air and it's way better than any camelback but the loaded weight and access issues (while riding) has me looking at the wingnuts too. These reviews are great.

mtbr member
    Sorry. My last post says I have the 3.0 WRONG!
    I've got the 2.5. Great pack but becouse it's low it requires square bladder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have the 3.0, best pack ever. 4 yrs old and it still is holding up. Some wear but mostly from when I left it on the ground overnight and mice ate through the mesh pockets to get at my hammer flask. I like it way better than my old hawg. it saves my back, don't hardly notice it with it fully loaded. The c-back bladders work great with it.