Thread: Wilderness 101

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Wilderness 101

who's goin? and whats it like? i am registered and ready to go.

i am used to west coast riding and havent really been to the east coast.

the website is not exactly updated, anyone have any stories and pics from last year?

mtbr member
    I'll be there. Can't wait as it's my 4th shot at the 101. It'll be epic as always. Being from the west coast you'll like the first 40 miles, then the next few trails will make it interesting

853+29+1x24=Fun
    hot and humid usually

mtbr member
    Hopefully it doesn't monsoon the days prior like it did last year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    How SS friendly is the course? Any gearing recommendations!
    Thanks all

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mooksy
    How SS friendly is the course? Any gearing recommendations!
    Thanks all
    I'll be SSing this one as well...first 100 miler. I'd be interested in gearing recommendations too...I'll be on a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Wilderness is simply Mt biking on the Rocks.A lot of rock garden/Plantation on ridge,climbing and downhill.Climbs are stiff but shorter compared to Shenandoah.Technical stuff on this race is on how you last on manuevering on those rocks on climbing ,ridge,downhill and switchback etc.There"s alot of hike and bike portion and if its wet/raining it will be slippery and humid.And do'nt understimate those rocks because if you crash on one of this rocky,sleepery and full of roots portion, it will hurt.If you're coming from the west, east coast trail is surrounded with thick vegetation and alot of roots/rocks on the trail.You barely exposed to the sun due to thick vegetation.SS on this trail will be brutal but you'll see a lot of them on the race.This is one of my favorite NUE.One tip, stay in front of the starting line so you'll not going to be stranded on the first climb.Best bike for the race -Gary Fisher Superfly 100 or any full suspension 29ner. Again you need full sus. 29ner due to the ROCKS.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    I did a 32x19 on a 29er. You'll be spinning a lot for the first half and then dying on the hills for the 2nd half.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gcadelina
    Wilderness is simply Mt biking on the Rocks.A lot of rock garden/Plantation on ridge,climbing and downhill.Climbs are stiff but shorter compared to Shenandoah.Technical stuff on this race is on how you last on manuevering on those rocks on climbing ,ridge,downhill and switchback etc.There"s alot of hike and bike portion and if its wet/raining it will be slippery and humid.And do'nt understimate those rocks because if you crash on one of this rocky,sleepery and full of roots portion, it will hurt.If you're coming from the west, east coast trail is surrounded with thick vegetation and alot of roots/rocks on the trail.You barely exposed to the sun due to thick vegetation.SS on this trail will be brutal but you'll see a lot of them on the race.This is one of my favorite NUE.One tip, stay in front of the starting line so you'll not going to be stranded on the first climb.Best bike for the race -Gary Fisher Superfly 100 or any full suspension 29ner. Again you need full sus. 29ner due to the ROCKS.

ya i was thinking FS 29er. i dont have one, but i do have a 6" 26" wheeled bike. how about that?

What It Be ?
    I'm entertaining the idea of doing it this year as well as the Shenandoah. Did the SM100 last year had a ball. I'll on a hardtail 29er if I do it. Anybody have any stats on the climbing?

mtbr member
    I think it goes about 11k for climbing. I know the 45 minute climb at mile 42 is my favorite It's a great course and one that I hope is in a little better condition(dry) this time around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ
    I'm entertaining the idea of doing it this year as well as the Shenandoah. Did the SM100 last year had a ball. I'll on a hardtail 29er if I do it. Anybody have any stats on the climbing?
    Here you go, Chris. There's some real climbing for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by hobiesmith
    ya i was thinking FS 29er. i dont have one, but i do have a 6" 26" wheeled bike. how about that?
    Well, 26" FS will work but just be prepared on riding on roots and rocks.FS is better because the pressure and stress on your spine and jts while riding on this rocks will wear you down combined with multiple stiff climbs.But again its doable!!!

What It Be ?
    I've seem that Jared. Thanks. Wondering if anyone doing it had some real numbers from there experience.

They call me Shoogs
    Anyone care to compare the Stoopid 50 to the W101? There were rocks o' plenty this past w/e... tell me there are less in the 101. Please.

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    how stocked are the aid stations? can i refill water bottles? are their places for my family to pitt along the way? like every 25 mi?

853+29+1x24=Fun
    they are stocked well. Usually they have a good selection of food, water and some kind of electrolyte drink. If I recall correctly they allow you two drops with a one gallon zip lock bag with your own stuff.

You ride along plenty of dirt roads and I want to say you ride through a couple of parks / campgrounds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    how stocked are the aid stations? can i refill water bottles? are their places for my family to pitt along the way? like every 25 mi?
    Here are some tips that will probably help you in this Race:
    -Pay attention on what food and drink that is available on each aid station so you will know on where to put your two 1 gallon zip lock bag.Aid staions with food are always stocked with food and drinks, you dont need to bring a lot of extra on your bag.I always choose 2nd and 4th.Since im slow, i always put my bag with light at 4th.
    -Always put extra socks and shirt on each bag just in case you need to change.
    -Insects bites, off spray before the race and try to bring first aid(anti infalmatory/antipruritic) like cortaid spray
    -Check your shoes, make sure that the sole and clip are fine.You'll be doing a lot of hike and bike on rocks and dirt.
    -Try not to stay too long on aid staion especially if you're slow like me. They always put cut off time on 4th station.
    -Make a copy(credit card size) of elevation profile.With the use of your bike computer (distance) you can check your location,climbs and downhill.Wrist watch with altimeter helps a lot(old school).GPS most of the time loose signal.
    -Try to use full sus. bike.29ner prefered
    -Ride your own pace.Ride hard on easy and easy on hard.
    -Try to finish the race in one piece.Ride safe!:-)
    Goodlock!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The aid stations will be fully stocked (after station one which may just be liquids) so unless you're really particular you'll be covered with food and drink throughout the 100.

You will be discouraged from having family follow you along the course. This can create unnecessary traffic, dust, confusion for others in the forest.. especially if they are unfamiliar with the area.

I would lean towards a larger tire than you might otherwise pick if it's your first time on this one. It's a great Pa ride, enjoy.

mtbr member

101 versus stoopid

Quote Originally Posted by TripleThreat
    Anyone care to compare the Stoopid 50 to the W101? There were rocks o' plenty this past w/e... tell me there are less in the 101. Please.
    The stoopid is much harder per mile than the 101; just double plus some minutes the pro's times and compare to the 101. More locals finish the 101 than the Stoopid. Most of the rocks on 101 are on the descents. More miles of rocky singletrack in the stoopid than the 101. The 101 doesn't really throw anything at you.

mtbr member

as the others have stated, aid stations are FULLY stocked and supported. Aid station #1 is light, but has ample water. It's a very difficult course to get around on as it furtherest point west, aid station # 3, is nearly and hour drive back to the start. Spectator pitting is not permitted (highly discouraged to keep the roads from getting too much traffic; there are non bikers using the system also).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    can you pre ride this course? or is it closed except race day?

i am having a hard time figuring out where it even starts...

mtbr member

101 pre ride

can you pre ride this course? or is it closed except race day?

i am having a hard time figuring out where it even starts...
    all portions of the course are open except maybe a short 1 mile section that merges with the Mid State trail. Its ridden so little that it's not a problem.
    You can get help at www.nittanymba.net very easy to follow the course and pre-ride sections (except a few miles in the sand mtn area, mile 80ish that changes it seems annually)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmblg
    The stoopid is much harder per mile than the 101; just double plus some minutes the pro's times and compare to the 101. More locals finish the 101 than the Stoopid. Most of the rocks on 101 are on the descents. More miles of rocky singletrack in the stoopid than the 101. The 101 doesn't really throw anything at you.
    This guy = very happy!

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I recall the one 6 mile downhill, which was so rocky if you didn't pedal you actually came to a stop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I arm pumped so bad on that I started crying. I remember it too...

That was pretty much about the time I realized that I was a moron for riding a rigid bike.

Old Fart

Old Guy & Hundie newbie needs advice please

I haven't gotten much input from this thread so thought I'd come over here and pose the question about which tires to use and/or any other words of wisdom for an old crazy fool.

Advice on tires (and anything else) for Wilderness 101 - 50 yr. old Clyde Newbie

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Scubapiper; 06-27-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

mtbr member

do it; play it safe

Quote Originally Posted by Scubapiper
    I haven't gotten much input from this thread so thought I'd come over here an pose the question about which tires to use and/or any other words of wisdom for an old crazy fool.

Advice on tires (and anything else) for Wilderness 101 - 50 yr. old Clyde Newbie

Thanks in advance
    riding a 26er i'd recommend ust tires with good sidewalls. I coudn't stand the thought of saving 200 grams, whew, 7 oz, hmm 1/2 lb of rotational weight, ......problem is i'd be waiting for my tire to go on one of the descents....a very tough choice, i don't think at mile 75 i'd be saying, wow, i feel great having 200 g's less of rotational weight, but i would, all day long, be waiting to flat due to saving some weight, and that stress savings may offset the extra 200 g's.

Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by jmblg
    riding a 26er i'd recommend ust tires with good sidewalls. I coudn't stand the thought of saving 200 grams, whew, 7 oz, hmm 1/2 lb of rotational weight, ......problem is i'd be waiting for my tire to go on one of the descents....a very tough choice, i don't think at mile 75 i'd be saying, wow, i feel great having 200 g's less of rotational weight, but i would, all day long, be waiting to flat due to saving some weight, and that stress savings may offset the extra 200 g's.

Stick with the Wierwolfs then or another UST with a less aggressive tread?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Registration Transfer

If any of you decide to bail out last minute, I'd be willing to buy you entry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    for those of you doing the race this year, good luck and have fun! I've done it the past two years and can't make it this year, but I'll be back!

Answering some questions above...
    - the W101 goes down some of the sick trails that the Stoopid50 goes up (sassafras in particular.) Its a 20-minute hike in the 50 & a 5 minute plummet in the w101.
    - i rode a fs 26er (turner flux) in 2008 and a Niner EMD hardtail in 2009 - the niner was better hands down
    - I ran Specialized fasttrack tubless at about 30psi on Stan's 355s (i weigh 175) and never had any issues with traction. the only non-fireroad climb is Sassafras out of Aid #3, otherwise its dirt roads (except for a couple stair-step 25-foot bumps to get up at about mile 75)
    - Aids are spaced well, drop a bag at Aid #2 & Aid #3 (the aid 2 bag will meet you at aid 4, so you can put twice as much stuff in it & effectively have drop bags at three aid stations.)
    - it poured like a mother last time the day before and the trails were totally fine, tacky even. the three wooden bridges were slick but thats it.
    - 11,400 feet of elev gain based on my Garmin http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10389754
    - it also lost signal and cut some corners so it only registers 98 miles (i swear i didn't bushwhack across any hairpin turns - there were RATTLESNAKES everywhere!!)
    - I ran with a lightweight camelback full of water & refilled at aids 2,3,4 and 5. also one bottle on the bike that i topped off at each aid station.

Awesome race and good food & beer at the finish, i cant wait to go back in 2011!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dongustav
    for those of you doing the race this year, good luck and have fun! I've done it the past two years and can't make it this year, but I'll be back!

- the W101 goes down some of the sick trails that the Stoopid50 goes up (sassafras in particular.) Its a 20-minute hike in the 50 & a 5 minute plummet in the w101.
    - i rode a fs 26er (turner flux) in 2008 and a Niner EMD hardtail in 2009 - the niner was better hands down
    - I ran Specialized fasttrack tubless at about 30psi on Stan's 355s (i weigh 175) and never had any issues with traction. the only non-fireroad climb is Sassafras out of Aid #3, otherwise its dirt roads (except for a couple stair-step 25-foot bumps to get up at about mile 75)
    - Aids are spaced well, drop a bag at Aid #2 & Aid #3 (the aid 2 bag will meet you at aid 4, so you can put twice as much stuff in it & effectively have drop bags at three aid stations.)
    - it poured like a mother last time the day before and the trails were totally fine, tacky even. the three wooden bridges were slick but thats it.
    - 11,400 feet of elev gain based on my Garmin http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10389754
    - it also lost signal and cut some corners so it only registers 98 miles (i swear i didn't bushwhack across any hairpin turns - there were RATTLESNAKES everywhere!!)
    - I ran with a lightweight camelback full of water & refilled at aids 2,3,4 and 5. also one bottle on the bike that i topped off at each aid station.

Awesome race and good food & beer at the finish, i cant wait to go back in 2011!

cool! thanks for that link!

fight the system
    I haven't gotten much input from this thread so thought I'd come over here and pose the question about which tires to use and/or any other words of wisdom for an old crazy fool.

Thanks in advance
    I've actually gotten away with 2.0 tube type Kenda Karmas setup with Stans. There is quite a lot of gravel/dirt roads and very few sections that require a ton of tread. I'm not sure I'd ride a full slick but a faster rolling tire helps. Dont let the thought of gravel turn you off though, its an awesome course!
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

mtbr member
    I'm in - this is my 2nd 100miler (SM 100 was my first in 2009) and I'm looking forward to the PA trails I've heard so much about.
    Saratoga Mountain Bike Association - www.saratogamtb.org

"Tri" sticker. Translation: "One Less Good Bike Handler."

Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dongustav

Yes, thanks for the link.

I do have have question for you if you don't mind divulging. According to your last bullet, you were using plain water. What did you do for nutrition? Thanks.
    No blogs here, nothing special.....I just like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    can anyone advise the starting address for the 101. I need it for the GPS. THANKS

mtbr member

the field...

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl

view sateillite

its the field down east street (alley) that borders the stream and the mtn.

mtbr member
    I'm wondering if anyone has any news on the course. Same as last year? Has it been in good condition? I'm getting ready to rip this one for round #4. Everyone else psyched?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

SS Gearing??

Still not a lot of response on SS gearing. I've heard 32-18 on a 29er is pretty good. True??

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JPSurly
    Still not a lot of response on SS gearing. I've heard 32-18 on a 29er is pretty good. True??
    Last year's SS winner ran 32X18. But I wouldn't necessarily go using that as a barometer for what you or I should use. I know a couple people who used 32X19 last year and said that was good, but thought something inbetween 32X18 & 32X19 might be better. So maybe something like 34X20 or 33X19.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP412
    Last year's SS winner ran 32X18. But I wouldn't necessarily go using that as a barometer for what you or I should use. I know a couple people who used 32X19 last year and said that was good, but thought something inbetween 32X18 & 32X19 might be better. So maybe something like 34X20 or 33X19.
    Thanks for the information. That's helpful. And thanks for implying that I'm slow and/or weak.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JPSurly
    Thanks for the information. That's helpful. And thanks for implying that I'm slow and/or weak.
    I did say "you or I" so I guess I was implying I'm also slow and/or weak. I guess if you share some of the same traits as last year's winner, you could run 32X18.

http://teamdicky.blogspot.com/2009/0...her-facts.html

mtbr member
    I'm more of a spinner so I think I'll be running a 32-20.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hello everyone,
    Just finished the Breck 68/72 (sub 9) and was wondering how it compares to the 101. These are the first long races I've done/doing and any help with how they compare would be wonderful. Bty: Breck was incredible; views you wouldn't believe and tons of singletrack! (and super volunteers)

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Wilderness is a hard race but the highest elevation is about 2400', 10000' less than the Breck

Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lushizzle
    If any of you decide to bail out last minute, I'd be willing to buy you entry.
    http://craigbarlow.blogspot.com/2010...-for-sale.html

Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by XC62701
    I'm wondering if anyone has any news on the course. Same as last year? Has it been in good condition? I'm getting ready to rip this one for round #4. Everyone else psyched?
    http://www.nittanymba.org/component/...,8612/catid,3/

fight the system
    Quote Originally Posted by dwvfrog
    Hello everyone,
    Just finished the Breck 68/72 (sub 9) and was wondering how it compares to the 101. These are the first long races I've done/doing and any help with how they compare would be wonderful. Bty: Breck was incredible; views you wouldn't believe and tons of singletrack! (and super volunteers)
    I've done the w101 twice and just finished the B100 last weekend. They both have a lot of climbing and the terrain has some similarities with rocky descents, long climbs and some fast dirt to knock off some miles. The breck takes quite a bit longer though partly cause the high altitude drops your power and there is a little more single track in the Breck. Both were great races! By the numbers this is my comparison between the two:

Race - W101 / B100
    Climbing -10,400ft / 12,100ft
    Place - 6th / 6th
    Time - 7:13 / 9:05

http://www.jessejakomait.com/journal...sp?journal=775

If you survived the B68 the W101 will be just a tad harder but you should be ok.
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

Wannabe Endurance Racer
    How does the Wilderness compare to the Silver Rush 50? The Leadville 100? I've done both a few times but have never raced in the East where I live. I would love to get one more epic race under my belt before the LT 100 on Aug 14th.
    "The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by herrhaus
    Yes, thanks for the link.

I do have have question for you if you don't mind divulging. According to your last bullet, you were using plain water. What did you do for nutrition? Thanks.
    Sorry this is so late.. water in the camelbak, Hammer perpetuem in my bottle with a refill at #2 & #3 along with Hammer gel flask (provided by the race & refilled at 3 & 4.) Then switched to just water & gels at aid #4 because it was HOT & the perp was too thick, shots of coke & gatorade to get me from #5 to the finish (which is just about an hour of total hammering with everything you've got left in your legs.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kev0153
    hot and humid usually
    Looks like this year will be an exception. 75, sunny and low chance of rain.

Here is the map of the course.
    http://raymoinledroit.wordpress.com/...ilderness-101/

PM me with any feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853

PM me with any feedback.
    Geez, the first year I do it it's like 95 degrees and humid. I do it last year and it's torrential rain the entire day before. I decide not to do it this year and BOOM; perfect weather. I should be paid not to race these things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    To those that replied to the breck/wilderness difference post; thanks. It looks like good weather for the race this weekend, good luck to all who entered!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Results

Pro/Open Women:
    1, Cheryl Sornson (Team CF) 8:06:00
    2, Karen Potter (MTBracenews.com) 8:15:21
    3, Brenda Simril 8:20:38
    4, Vicki Barclay 8:22:15
    5, Selen Yeager 8:42:32

Pro/Open Men:
    1, Jeff Schalk 6:34:37
    2, Christian Tanguy 6:39:42
    3, Nick Waite 6:52:45
    4, Jeremiah Bishop 6:53:40
    5, Brandon Dragelis 6:53:52
    6, Christopher Beck
    7, John Borns
    8, Robert Licheauwalker
    9, Nathan O'Neill
    10, Will Baker
    11, Justin Pokriuka
    12, Andy Gorshi
    13, Ezra Mullen
    14, Ryan Laribiere
    15, Jeffy Pflug

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thanks to everyone who helped in this thread. i wouldnt of had a clue yesterday if it wasnt for yall!

btw, i was the rider with a camera on my helmet

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    thanks to everyone who helped in this thread. i wouldnt of had a clue yesterday if it wasnt for yall!

so how was the first race ever back east?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA

well around mile 50? during that descent with all those stupid rocks and then that long single track with all those rocks...i thought to myself, "if i lived here, i would be a roadie"

i aint lyin, those rocks are just stupid

Old Fart

Wow, I did it

Thanks for the input and information here. Glad to report I finished. This was probably the hardest thing physically I've ever done in my life. Not sure right now If I'll do anything like this again but hey I did it.

I can't believe I was at Aid Station 3 about the time the winners were finishing. I'm in awe of you all. I also can't imagine riding this in sweltering heat or rain.

If any of you volunteers are checking in here a big thanks to all of you for your enthusiasm, encouragement and help. YOU GUYS ROCK!!

mtbr member
    I'm super stoked...this was my first hundie and completed it in 10:09 on my rigid SS 32x20 gearing. Congratulations to all the finishers. Man...there is some serious rock in PA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Thanks for the input and information here. Glad to report I finished. This was probably the hardest thing physically I've ever done in my life. Not sure right now If I'll do anything like this again but hey I did it.

I can't believe I was at Aid Station 3 about the time the winners were finishing. I'm in awe of you all. I also can't imagine riding this in sweltering heat or rain.

If any of you volunteers are checking in here a big thanks to all of you for your enthusiasm, encouragement and help. YOU GUYS ROCK!!
    That's the same words i said after i finished my first NUE/W101 last 2008.After 4 weeks I decided to go for Shenandoah 100 and finished it too.Since then Im doing 1 to 2 100 miler race every year.I did Mohican 100 last 2009 and Lumberjack this year.Next , I'll do either Leadville 100(if im lucky to get an entry) or Breck 100.These 100 miler races like NUE series are ADDICTIVE that only a Mt biker can understand.Congrats for finishing the race.GOOD JOB!!!!!

Old Fart

I can't believe I'm consedering it but...

Quote Originally Posted by gcadelina
    .I did Mohican 100 last 2009
    How do the 2 compare? I know the climbing is about the same in terms of elevation gain. I'd just like a comparison as I almost did that one this instead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    anyone know where to view the photos that guy was taking at the bridge crossing?

mtbr member
    probably was bob, from http://www.bobs-photogallery.com/ great guy. give him time to get them up or send him an email

Rider
    I chatted with you on the way up Greenlee (after A.S. #2). Hope you turned it on for the ride down Croyle. (one of the other trails with the stupid rocks)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I chatted with you on the way up Greenlee (after A.S. #2). Hope you turned it on for the ride down Croyle. (one of the other trails with the stupid rocks)
    you were SS werent you? well the trail with the most rocks didnt get recorded. i was too distracted and pissed off to deal with the camera

up until then, even though the entire race i was keeping my heart rate below 160, but i still cramped because i am not used to that long of descents with rocks and rocks. so i was tensing up and not relaxing and i just plain was not used to it. when i got to the bottom my feet were asleep, then on the next climb, my legs started cramping. figures. i was on a good pace too then i had to stop and walk them off and rest, then my legs were done. i never thought that a descent would get me instead of the climbs.
    Last edited by hobiesmith; 08-02-2010 at 06:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA
    You mean first race for a person or the first race back east for the East? It was not the first race back East, was not even the first race in the general area. Thee had been many years of races out of Coburn. The first for this race is (I think) to be the first 100 miler MTB race anywhere. (1991)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You mean first race for a person or the first race back east for the East? It was not the first race back East, was not even the first race in the general area. Thee had been many years of races out of Coburn. The first for this race is (I think) to be the first 100 miler MTB race anywhere. (1991)
    Read the first post.

Wilderness 101

What It Be ?

If any of you volunteers are checking in here a big thanks to all of you for your enthusiasm, encouragement and help. YOU GUYS ROCK
    You got a month to prep for the Shenandoah Hundie. I wanted to do the W101 but I waited to long to register. Next year plannin on the 101 the Stoopid 50 and the SM100.

Rider
    you were SS werent you? well the trail with the most rocks didnt get recorded. i was too distracted and pissed off to deal with the camera

up until then, even though the entire race i was keeping my heart rate below 160, but i still cramped because i am not used to that long of descents with rocks and rocks. so i was tensing up and not relaxing and i just plain was not used to it. when i got to the bottom my feet were asleep, then on the next climb, my legs started cramping. figures. i was on a good pace too then i had to stop and walk them off and rest, then my legs were done. i never thought that a descent would get me instead of the climbs.
    Actually, it's a 1x9. Geared high tho. My granny gear is 34x34. Nice orange-fade-to-yellow colored frame.

Yes the descents are indeed long a rocky. Triceps are still a bit sore today, but not too bad. Have fun in the SM100 (if you're doing that one).

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

Smile

How do the 2 compare? I know the climbing is about the same in terms of elevation gain. I'd just like a comparison as I almost did that one this instead.
    I dont have the exact elevation profile but there are more climbing on W 101 than Mohican 100.Wilderness is simply Mt biking on downhill,a lot of stiff long climb,ridges,single track,switchback with a lot of ROCKS.Climbing are longer and stiff .In Mohican, 90 % of the first 50 miles are singletrack on rolling hills followed by multiple short stiff climb on single track,fire roads and double track.98 % 0f Mohican is ridable compared to Wilderness where hike and bike portion will depend on your skill level.Both are well organize but with Mohican, i was not able to get the souvenir mug because they run out of it when i crossed the finish line.They said that they will mail it but i been waiting for almost a year and still waiting..Anyway, both of them are fun and brutal.Thats what get when you do NUE series.

Bruh
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidas 119
    anyone know where to view the photos that guy was taking at the bridge crossing?
    Could've also been my friend, Abe.

http://www.aelandesphotography.com/eventblog/

He'll probably have photos up in the next few days or so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Wilderness 101 Photos

I was out taking photos at the Wilderness 101 last weekend. Below is a link to the gallery for anyone who is interested.

The weather was amazing, and the course looked awesome. Congratulations to everyone who finished!

http://www.aphotoofyou.com/Mountain-...Wilderness-101

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanDM
    Read the first post.

Wilderness 101
    I did and it did not really clear it up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    by popular demand from everyone on the course, i put up some video on the interweb

and yes i know i did not film the hardest parts of the course unfortunately. btw, the rocks are much bigger than in the video

Rider
    I think that you must have turned your cam back on or you had just turned it off on the climb up Greenlee when I came along. I asked you what the heck that thing was on your helmet and mentioned that only "extra" thing I decided to carry was a cell phone.

Your story sounds identical to that of mine. Congratulations on finishing. Many more in the future (if that is your plan).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think that you must have turned your cam back on or you had just turned it off on the climb up Greenlee when I came along. I asked you what the heck that thing was on your helmet and mentioned that only "extra" thing I decided to carry was a cell phone.

Your story sounds identical to that of mine. Congratulations on finishing. Many more in the future (if that is your plan).

ya i remember you. werent you riding a orange marin 29er?

Rider
    Yes, that's me.

Nobody likes Marin around here.....I don't remember seeing another Marin that day anywhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes, that's me.

Nobody likes Marin around here.....I don't remember seeing another Marin that day anywhere.

that just makes you cooler! marin county is where i all started me friend

btw, i didnt ask you during the race as i was a bit tired, but did you happen to score that bike for stupid cheap? i know last year or so, there was a bank or something selling orange marin 29ers if you signed up on their website. anyways, thats what i was wondering when you were riding next to me

Rider
    My new Alpine Trail 29er

The only thing that is stock on the bike is the frame, seat post and handle bars. EVERYTHING else has been upgraded. So, when you add all my upgrades in.....not so cheap. LOL

They call me Shoogs
    by popular demand from everyone on the course, i put up some video on the interweb

and yes i know i did not film the hardest parts of the course unfortunately. btw, the rocks are much bigger than in the video
    Congrats dude...I was the guy asking directions coming into town with a mile to go. Must have missed a sign, thanks for the reassurance.

The vid took me right back, with out the cramps...nice job.

Run With The Wind
    Great video, congratulations on finishing, awesome job! It was a great race and the weather couldn't have been better.

mtbr member

Great video! I sent it around to my friends to give them a glimpse of what we were all riding over for 101 miles. And congrats to you for finishing and hitting your goal! I did the same thing two years ago with the SM100 and it was the best feeling in the world just to finish.
    Saratoga Mountain Bike Association - www.saratogamtb.org

"Tri" sticker. Translation: "One Less Good Bike Handler."

They call me Shoogs

PM me with any feedback.
    FTR ... You do great work. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Re21Agent
    Great video, congratulations on finishing, awesome job! It was a great race and the weather couldn't have been better.
    thanks. we lucked out on the weather being next to perfect

Old Fart

Thanks

Nice video, thanks for sharing it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddy
    Great video! I sent it around to my friends to give them a glimpse of what we were all riding over for 101 miles. And congrats to you for finishing and hitting your goal! I did the same thing two years ago with the SM100 and it was the best feeling in the world just to finish.

ya i got some good video of you. did you figure my camera was on?

Members who have read this thread: 0