mtbr member

Wildcat 100 in NY

I just signed up for this race today and from what I can see it's relatively new. I'm looking for info on the course, but there isn't much out there. Has anyone done it before?
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

mtbr member
    Maybe you've seen this, but in case you haven't..
    Race info WC 100

Haven't done it, but was considering doing the shorter (100k) option, assuming I can kick my butt into shape by spring time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailrider92 View Post
    Maybe you've seen this, but in case you haven't..
    Race info WC 100

Haven't done it, but was considering doing the shorter (100k) option, assuming I can kick my butt into shape by spring time.
    Yeah, that was about the only info I have seen out there. I did come across someone's blog entry from a couple of years ago that did the 2 day race (50 miles each day). According to him it was cross bike smooth the first day and semi technical sigletrack the second day. I'm wondering how that compares to the upcoming 100 mile course in May.

By the way, go for the 100 mile.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just got an email from a friend who said it was mostly fast and "roadie friendly." Maybe I'll do it on my Casseroll...

Cars Are Evil
    Thanks for mentioning this race. It might be a good way for me to motivate in the early season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've been considering too.......anyone with local knowledge? I have reviewed the website, photos, etc. I think this is the first year for the 100k and 100 miles in one day? Sounds like they are working on trail access, maybe some new terrain?

Agreed, could be pretty painful early May.....motivation?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was told it could be done on a CX bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have been told it is non-technical as well. Lots of doubletrack and orchard riding. From what I understand, a good bit of the route is closed to the public other than on race day so pretty limited recon potential. I may race the August race this year.

I have done a lot of road riding in immediate vicinity (New Paltz, American Zofingen), and I can confirm that there are some serious hills around there...

OSCMTB

It is quite smooth, and road riding would be good training for it. Last year CX bikes were not permitted. There was one 6 mile section that had some technical singletrack. Most of the course is not open outside of the event, and you would be hard pressed to figure out where it went anyway. Very scenic and excellent event. If my schedule permits, I will most likely do it again this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    why does it say two days but i don't see a two day option. is it assumed that the 100k is a one day event and the 100 mile is a two day event.

OSCMTB
    The Wildcat 100 is in May. The Wildcat Epic (2 day) is in August.

Wildcat Epic mountain bike race

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post

It is quite smooth, and road riding would be good training for it. Last year CX bikes were not permitted. There was one 6 mile section that had some technical singletrack. Most of the course is not open outside of the event, and you would be hard pressed to figure out where it went anyway. Very scenic and excellent event. If my schedule permits, I will most likely do it again this year.
    I've seen other races restrict cx bikes. Maybe the promoters want to give the illusion a race is tougher than it really is. Or, maybe the bulk of the course looks suitable for a cx bike, but some of it clearly isn't and they don't want to deal with a bunch of DNFers who complain they weren't warned.
    Last edited by mudge; 01-23-2013 at 05:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for posting up the Strava track.

Sounds like this year it starts in Rosendale, not New Paltz? And they are talking about the Williams lake area (looks like north section) being repeated for the 100 mile version...doesn't look like you had to repeat it last year to get 100 miles? Maybe they are skipping some of the stuff in the south?

I have nothing against cross bikes or cross riders....but I kinda like the idea of mtb only. keeps the playing field a little more level.

Looks like a good early season test. Always try and convince myself to do American Zoffigen but never seem to have the gusto for such a big commitment so early in the season. Wish it was still in October.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post

I have nothing against cross bikes or cross riders....but I kinda like the idea of mtb only. keeps the playing field a little more level.
    What about rigid 29ers? With 1.75" tires? Would that be okay?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    I've seen other races restrict cx bikes. Maybe the promoters want to give the illusion a race is tougher than it really is. Or, maybe the bulk of the course looks suitable for a cx bike, but some of it clearly isn't and they don't want to deal with a bunch of DNFers who complain they weren't warned.
    I looked on their website and bikereg to see if there were any restrictions on the type of bikes that can be raced and I don't see anything. I could race my Spcialized Crux cyclocross bike or my Specialized Epic. It sounds like the Crux may be the faster choice, but it's unclear if it would be allowed. Maybe I'll bring both and play it by ear.

I can see somone saying that it's a mtb race and cross bikes would be an unfair advantage for some riders, but I think the course should dictate the bike. Does anyone know the rule for sure?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrob1775 View Post
    I looked on their website and bikereg to see if there were any restrictions on the type of bikes that can be raced and I don't see anything. I could race my Spcialized Crux cyclocross bike or my Specialized Epic. It sounds like the Crux may be the faster choice, but it's unclear if it would be allowed. Maybe I'll bring both and play it by ear.

I can see somone saying that it's a mtb race and cross bikes would be an unfair advantage for some riders, but I think the course should dictate the bike. Does anyone know the rule for sure?
    Ok, I just got a reply back from the promoter. As per NUE rules, only mountain bikes are allowed so I guess I'll be riding mt Epic with skinny semi-slick tires.

OSCMTB
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    Thanks for posting up the Strava track.

Sounds like this year it starts in Rosendale, not New Paltz? And they are talking about the Williams lake area (looks like north section) being repeated for the 100 mile version...doesn't look like you had to repeat it last year to get 100 miles? Maybe they are skipping some of the stuff in the south?

Looks like a good early season test. Always try and convince myself to do American Zoffigen but never seem to have the gusto for such a big commitment so early in the season. Wish it was still in October.
    This year looks to be more technical, with less rail trail fireroad. Hence, the Williams lake part used twice. The New Paltz start location doesn't have much in the way of parking, hence the move.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for clarification on bikes

75 registered so far. Good start.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrob1775 View Post
    Ok, I just got a reply back from the promoter. As per NUE rules, only mountain bikes are allowed so I guess I'll be riding mt Epic with skinny semi-slick tires.
    The only rule regarding bikes per the NUE info page is that you must finish the race on the bike you started with. It says nothing about style of bike. If your racing singlespeed you can't have a flip flop hub.
    Info:
    Rules of the National Ultra Endurance Series on NUE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderX View Post
    The only rule regarding bikes per the NUE info page is that you must finish the race on the bike you started with. It says nothing about style of bike. If your racing singlespeed you can't have a flip flop hub.
    Info:
    Rules of the National Ultra Endurance Series on NUE
    Hmmmmm...

I don't see any exclusion either, but the promoter said in an email to me and on the Facebook page that it had to be a mountain bike. He also said it was per NUE rules. I'm not sure if he is unaware of the wording of the rules and is interjecting his own personal feelings. I wonder if he's bound by NUE rules since it's in the series or free to impose his own regulations. This is confusing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Bump

Newbie MTB'er here with lots of road experience and touring experience. The idea of a dirt century is intriguing but I don't want to find myself in over my head on some crazy technical course and stranded. Considering this as my first ever MTB "race" any reason why I shouldn't other than the fact that I'm a 6'3" 250lbs clydesdale and climbing is a *****!