Thread: Wildcat 100

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Wildcat 100

Headed up this weekend and have never been before - anyone have any good beta on the trails? From the race organizers web site I can get the elevation profile and trail type breakdown (%road, % single track, etc) but what I can't find out easily is what to expect from the single track in terms of difficulty. Roots? Rocks? Twisty/turny?

Any info from anyone who has ridden previous editions of this race would be most welcome!

Also, it looks like the forecast for the few days preceding the race is for rain, wondering how well the trails drain or if it's going to be another sh!tshow like the SM100 was last year.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    A NUE event with No Pint Glass??!! C'mon.

All that mud for nothing?

The only thought that kept me going all day was adding to my pint glass collection. And all I got (besides a destroyed drivetrain) was a cheesy wood medal that fell off the lanyard within 30 seconds. Also no food on Friday night-they ran out. And I got the very last sandwhich wrap post race-and I do mean the very last and only one. Too bad I could have eaten about 6 of them. Seemed like every one was mostly intersted in packing up and leaving Dodge. Maybe I'm just spoiled from Cris Scott's events, or Rick Plites' Lumberjack. Promotors take note: Do it just like these guys or dont bother.

This race has potential but its not a good venue for early spring. Late summer yes. New England Mud season-no.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Wildcat 100

Haha yeah some random asshat from New Jersey posted a comment on my race report calling me a "whiner who gives MTB'rs a bad name" because I said that the event's organizer left something a little lacking. They got the job done, but the missing turn signs and lack of communication turned me off a bit. The course was frickin sweet though except for the parts that went through a peanut-butter-mud bog.

For future readers: course does not drain well. Single track is more technical than Mohican. Rocks and roots. Not sure if the course will be the same again because they literally changed it the day before the race...

I agree, Mohican and SM100 are much better organized - both those race organizers do a phenomenal job. Despite all the shortcomings I had a pretty good time and would probably do the Wildcat again, rain or shine.

mtbr member
    Signed up for the wildcat epic sunday August 4th race. Here's hoping for better weather and logistics.