Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

why do it?

5K views 50 replies 44 participants last post by  Joshua_B 
#1 ·
I want to ask the question, why race? Most of us are not going to make a career out of it. And obviously it is fun. But there is a good deal of work that goes into it. I want to hear what we get out of it. Thanks in advance for responding.

#5 ·
One needs stuff for their book of life. Just imagine to get to the end with nothing to write about. I've never raced bikes as an adult but I did win my class and second overall in my one and only motorcycle sand drags sponsored by the HOG in '85. Although it won't matter in a hundred years.. just do it. Whatever it is..

#8 ·
Human instinct? I have a 4 & 5 year old they race doing everything getting out of the car, getting to the door to leave, picking up toys, running and........
If you race you have to be able to handle humility cause there's going to be races were you do awful for whatever reason. Fear of failing is the biggest reason riders DON'T race.

#10 ·
different reasons for different people

I think it's a completely individual thing, and it tends to evolve. Sometimes people evolve right out of it, others like me I think see the experience change for us.

Early on for me, traditional XC, it was about seeing where I was at compared to other people who were racing. Right away found out that I sucked really bad, especially in that short, pinnit-for-ninety-minnit format. But I found it very interesting from the first one that I could push myself so hard that I thought I was doing physical damage and then feel fine 10 minutes after I stopped.

Then when I moved to endurance, it was about experiencing it and testing my own ability to succeed. Finishing Leadville in 2005 was pivotal for me. It expanded my perception of what I was capable of. That lead me to a world of testing my limits--24 solo, vapor trail 125, etc.

Now? For me now it's a lot about the social aspect of it. I've gotten to know a community of people in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona who do these various events. Most of them are so much stronger and more talented than I that it's kind of silly for me to think of them as peers, but I enjoy being there lining up for the events they are doing and sharing experiences.

I'm not competing with them. That would be absurd. If I felt that I had to have comparable results in order to consider my race a success, I would be totally wasting my time.

I've been doing more of the free endurance series events in CO, NM, and AZ. A huge motivator is riding a course that takes me somewhere I would be unlikely to find on my own. And being out there with all these cool people I've been getting to know for the last 6 years.

And of course, personal experience/vision quest. That's pretty much been a constant for me starting 15 years ago with my first 90-minute XC race.

#32 · (Edited)
I think it's a completely individual thing, and it tends to evolve. Sometimes people evolve right out of it, others like me I think see the experience change for us.

Early on for me, traditional XC, it was about seeing where I was at compared to other people who were racing. Right away found out that I sucked really bad, especially in that short, pinnit-for-ninety-minnit format. But I found it very interesting from the first one that I could push myself so hard that I thought I was doing physical damage and then feel fine 10 minutes after I stopped.

Then when I moved to endurance, it was about experiencing it and testing my own ability to succeed. Finishing Leadville in 2005 was pivotal for me. It expanded my perception of what I was capable of. That lead me to a world of testing my limits--24 solo, vapor trail 125, etc.

Now? For me now it's a lot about the social aspect of it. I've gotten to know a community of people in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona who do these various events. Most of them are so much stronger and more talented than I that it's kind of silly for me to think of them as peers, but I enjoy being there lining up for the events they are doing and sharing experiences.

I'm not competing with them. That would be absurd. If I felt that I had to have comparable results in order to consider my race a success, I would be totally wasting my time.

I've been doing more of the free endurance series events in CO, NM, and AZ. A huge motivator is riding a course that takes me somewhere I would be unlikely to find on my own. And being out there with all these cool people I've been getting to know for the last 6 years.

And of course, personal experience/vision quest. That's pretty much been a constant for me starting 15 years ago with my first 90-minute XC race.
Well said! :thumbsup:

The 2nd mtb "race" that I ever completed was the Leadville 100 (the first was a relay of 24 hrs of Moab). I signed up for these mostly to see if I could do it. Turns out I can.

I'll never win or even place in one of these races. Mid pack is cool with me. I set goals and those goals get me out on my bike when I might otherwise be lazy. I used to call it "scared training". Set a goal that is way beyond where you think you can go and the go see if you can do it. It forces you to get out and ride!!!

Since that first Leadville, I've had the opportunity (and good fortune) to be able to complete several 100 miler (and shorter too) endurance type races with my wife on our mtb tandem and that is a whole new experience. We get to train together and suffer together and celebrate our successes together. It's pretty cool. Most people think we're crazy (maybe we are).

Why do we do it? I guess because its there. Maybe it started for me because it was something that I was not sure if I (we) could do. Now I just hope I (we) can still be doing the endurance type events 10 years from now, or maybe 20?

#12 ·
I wonder the same thing. I'm a long-time road racer just getting into mtb racing, and
I can see why folks want to race on the road, because they can do something they
can't do just going out and riding any day of the year, which is being able to ride in
a large pack. It seems that running and mtb races look a lot like expensive training
to me! I already said that I'm now just getting into mtb racing myself, so don't go hating
on this roadie just quite yet :)

#48 ·
Well, I would say the big difference is that I can MTB race at whatever level of fitness I have since you're mostly racing yourself. Road Racing requires that you be able to hang with the pack and if you're not in shape to do that there's simply no point. For me, it's mostly about the training and having a goal. Signing up for a race puts a stake in the sand. I need that extra bit of motivation to stay in good enough shape to do all the other fun things I like.

#14 ·
I race to get out there and suffer (and laugh...and crack a beer) with a bunch of folks who share the love of bikes! Just wanna get out there and have fun with like-minded people! Of course we all want to win, but that doesn't always happen...and shouldn't always matter. Sometimes the best results are the friends you make at the races...not just the awards.

#15 ·
I race to go fast, on a closed course, without the need to brake for others on the trail or yield to anyone. Just go as hard as I can for as long as I can till either I'm done or the race is over. It's also a great way to meet like minded riders, and see trails and areas you might not otherwise visit.

#17 ·
1. To get out from behind the desk.
2. To push yourself.
3. To give yourself goals.
4. To meet people with similar interests.
5 .To support causes while doing something you like.
6. To have weekend plans other than mowing the lawn.
7. To feel alive.
8. To have something to write in your blog.
9. Or in my case, to get $100,000s of premium equipment from major bike manufacturers.....Oh wait!

#19 ·
LOL. Was just thinking that every distance is hard when you really push yourself.

I did a short-course off-road duathlon on Sunday. I PR'd (not very impressively, but whatever) the 5k and then did the 5-mile bike course with my average in zone 5. I still hurt.

Good result, though. :D

#22 ·
When I don't race, I don't have an exercise goal and it is harder to "train"/exercise with a purpose. I haven't raced in years and that is the biggest thing that I miss about it. It is also an opportunity to camp/ride in some new and fun locations. Plus it is just fun to go fast!

#23 ·
For me its all about the overall experience, not just the race itself.

The training, the drive to be better, the enjoyment and satisfaction I get after knowing that I have given something my all.

For those who are worried about racing and doing terribly, dont sweat the small things. Getting out there and giving it a go (even if you come last) is already better than the person who stayed at home.

Doesnt matter if you win or come dead last, you all do the same amount of distance or time and therefore all contributed something and have something to share.

One of my greatest memories of racing was when I did my first ever 6 hour race. I was completely out of my element and did terribly. Regardless of this I ended up getting a lot of positive comments from the other riders about giving it a go, and even had the first and second place rider come over and have a yarn with me. Offering me tips about how to improve, etc.

Thats when I realised that MTB racing was for me. Not because I wanted to win everything, but because of the community and how people bonded with each other after the race once all of the nerves and pressure to do well had lifted.

#24 ·
When I started several years ago I was trying to compete. That didn't last long at all, but I found that I need racing. It gives me something to "train" for and look forward to. A reason to see friends, to travel new places and get some "me" time. In 2012 I only did a handfull of endurance, xc, and gravel races and things just didn't feel "right." Sure, I still rode, but it was easy to cut a ride short or bail. Hope to do more this year and get back to feeling "normal."

#26 ·
I think most people do it because they have a need to... Painters paint, writers write, and musicians compose not because it's their job or they want to go "pro" at it, they do it because they have to. Kinda the same thing for me atleast, I don't have to win but I have to ride and races are generally a good way to ride with a lot of like minded people. Although I'm fortunate and usually place well when I race, I think its a side effect of why I'm really there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.