mtbr member

Who mixes Perpetuem and Heed in one bottle?

I have done a few endurance races and I have good luck with Perpetuem. Usually I just run straight Perpetuem and maybe throw in some gel now and then or even Endurolytes. Normally I do 1.5 scoops of Perpetuem per hour in a 20 oz bottle (1 hr bottle). Any stronger and I get some stomach problems (gas!!). For rides under 2 hours, I'll do just Heed. I like Hammer Products because for me they are a local Montana company. I have heard and read that Perpetuem has no electrolytes so a person "needs" to incorporate that from something else and so one should mix in Heed. I have also heard plenty of just running straight Perpetuem only from start to finish. I have had cramp issues before in endurance races but I have attributed it to over exertion or poor hydration and not necessarily because I was missing out on an electrolyte drink. But I'm willing to try something new, I've been out of Endurolytes for a while!

So I'm just wondering who feels they need to mix products and what kind of ratios do you run? I have been experimenting and I have my own ratio that I'm going to go with on next weekends 38-mile race. I've settled on 1 scoop Perpetuem and 0.75 scoop Heed in a 24 oz bottle for a 1+ hr bottle.

mtbr member
    After taking a feed of HEED (hey, that ryhmes) at CP #2 in the 2008 SM100, and then barfing it up, I'd rather scrape baboon dandruff into a bottle and drink that.

I'm even getting nauseated these days with Perp...and I used to drink lots of it training/races.

Last edited by RSWMTB; 08-19-2011 at 05:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I use perpetuem and heed, but in different bottles. I mix the perp with gel for flavor. For electrolytes, I supplement with chelated cal-mag tablets and little baked potatoes (potassium), potato chips (salt), bananas (potassium).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I ran a 50 50 mix of heed and perp, 900 calories in one bottle that would last me 2 laps at 24hop. The perp has to much protein to run straight for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have been using Infinit Nutritions stuff, and I really like it MUCH better then the Hammer stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    For me it's 1 scoop perp., 1/2 scoop heed & 1 scoop of endurolyte powder per hour in a multi hour bottle for anything over 3 hrs. If going over 5 hrs. I'll mix a second batch in a baggie and just add water. Also usually carry additional endurolyte caps just in case. Fluid is plain water and for variety I'll cut up a cliff bar in small pieces in a baggie or a pack of shot blocks.

mtbr member
    I've tried concentrating it before in multi hour bottles and even flasks. But it is too hard on my gut. So I stick with single hour doses. No more than 1.5 scoops of Perpetuem at a time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I use a mix all the time. Typically 1:1 Perp to Heed. It rocks. In fact, I pre-mix the two in their dry form, to make it quick and easy to head out on a ride.

I change flavors around throughout the year so I don't get tired of any one combination (though I am not a fan of chocolate drinks).

For races, my personal rocket fuel is the equivalent of 1 Perp, 1 Heed, 1 Gatorade, and 1 Elete (the small "blister" packs). That boils down to about 450 calories in a 33 ounce Magnum bottle (about 1.5 hours for me).

I also like the MT connection. My wife's whole family lives there, and I believe my B-In-Law occasionally plays poker with the Hammer's Head Dude.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    I am a fan of the Cafe Latte Perpetuem. It tastes like chocolate milk to me. For Heed I've tried the strawberry this year and I like that, too. When I mix the two, it has a bit of a Neapolitan ice cream flavor that is good as long as it is not too sweet. I tried mixing a 2 hour bottle during my experimenting and found it just too sweet (1.5 scoops of each). I've put a spreadsheet together based on the ingredients and there is overlap for calories and carbs. But I have no idea if the other stuff I would be missing out on by taking on less Perpetuem would affect me at all. I guess we'll see!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    I have been using Infinit Nutritions stuff, and I really like it MUCH better then the Hammer stuff.
    I second this suggestions. Turns out being much cheaper when you add in the cost of Perp and Heed.

But, to the OP's question, sure you can mix the two. But also you can mix Heed into the water bottle that you suppose to be drinking with the Perp. As to just drinking Perp, it will eventually catch up with you if the race is long enough. Have to mix in water, the hotter (or humid) it is, the more water you need.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yea for me not having to worry about electrolytes, calories, etc, etc, etc is a bonus. Just mix it with water or in my case I mix powerade with it, and away I go. Also the folks at Infinit are super friendly. I recently had an issue where I felt like I was consuming to much. I gave them a call. They determined the issue was with the scoop size, and immediately sent me a new scoop, and some other cool schwag. Awesome folks.

mtbr member
    2 scoops perpetuem, 1 scoop gatorade

130 lb rider - two hour bottle
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice