Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    thanks for bumping this thread...
    Since it is bumped, here's a thing about WRIAD. The Parks Service just implemented a new policy requiring day use permits for being on the rim. I'm a little bummed about that, since it makes a spur-of-the-moment mission a little more complicated. But friends of mine got one for their WRIAD this fall and it was a pretty painless process. All on-line, no fee:

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/dayusepermits.htm

I would urge us all to get the permits, even if we disagree with the policy. Playing nice with NPS will tend to keep cyclists in their good graces. Not playing nice is kind of like arguing with a cop. You might feel good about your moral superiority, but less good about the tickets/court appearances/nights in jail/vicious beatings. (No offense to any cops out there. I respect what you do, and personally don't argue. I may point out things, but respectfully and calmly.)

I would actually prefer that the permit came with the cost of the entrance fee so I don't have to carry dollerz with me on my WRIAD. (One of my WRIADS I started muy early from the intersection of Mineral Bottom and the pavement, and went through at o dark thirty. Stiffed 'em!)

But yeah, my opinion is, please get your permit. You'll have a pretty good chance of running into a ranger, and it will make the always-positive (I've never run into a grumpy ranger down there) encounter even more so.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I've only ridden the White Rim once, at it was on February 7, 2015. I went clockwise and had amazing weather (sunny and 60F). Route conditions were pretty firm and I only saw like 3-4 other people out there.

Full details on my ride that day are here: 100-mile White Rim

Strava file is here: White Rim | Strava

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Since it is bumped, here's a thing about WRIAD. The Parks Service just implemented a new policy requiring day use permits for being on the rim. I'm a little bummed about that, since it makes a spur-of-the-moment mission a little more complicated.
    The grand canyon is implementing this for day hikes as well...seems well intentioned but is a nuisance to those of us who know wtf we're doing and do it on a semi-regular basis. There will be a day use fee for hiking further than x miles down into the canyon which kind of grinds my gears considering the insane amount of money the GC brings in just to enter the park.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12