Addicted to 2 wheels

What to pack? 50 miles/10 hours/remote loop w/ no official support

I am doing my first endurance race in a couple weeks. The course is 50 miles and very remote. It is in AZ, so the temps should be real nice and there should be no rain. There will be water at mile 35, hour 6ish. I want to bring what makes sense to finish.

I have a FS bike running tubless

Here is what I was thinking:
    100 oz camelback, with 2 22oz bottles on the bike. Maybe one extra bottle?
    Food I got figured out
    1 Extra tube
    Tube patches
    Needle and thread for side wall slash
    Air pump
    Light first aid, mainly gaze and some big bandage pads, a couple small band aids, small packet anti-bacterial ointment
    Suspension high presure pump? Not sure? Never ride with one, but read it is a good idea.
    Multi tool with allens, small pliers, zip ties, duct tape, tire lever, chain breaker, small clean rag
    Toilet paper
    Bike light
    Might bring light wind breaker or more based on tempature forecast
    Small tube of sunscreen
    Sunglasses
    Phone/camera
    GPS

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No shock pump.
    One tire boot for sidewall slash (cut from old tire sidewall).
    No needle and thread.
    Nurse your way through a liter of energy drink before the start, and pack less H20.
    No light.
    No TP, unless that part of the pre-race routine fails that morning.

Since this is your first endurance race, if you're in it to finish it, and not gunning for any specific goal, disregard the above, and bring whatever gives you comfort and confidence. Stress and/or anxiety during an endurance race just adds to the fatigue.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I am riding mainly to finish. A freind and I will be pacing each other. I don't like to pack a lot of extra stuff though. I am thinking I will pass on the shock pump and light.

Tell me more abou the tire boot to handle a slash on tubless. I would prefer to stay tubless if possible.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    I am riding mainly to finish. A freind and I will be pacing each other. I don't like to pack a lot of extra stuff though. I am thinking I will pass on the shock pump and light.

Tell me more about the tire boot to handle a slash on tubless. I would prefer to stay tubless if possible.
    I'm quite curious too to hear how you use only a piece of sidewall to patch a sidewall tear well enough to hold air tubeless.

How much do needle and thread weigh? Hmm, I guess not much, but super bulky. Hmm, I guess not bulky either...

Use waxed dental floss not thread. And if you're serious about wanting to repair a sidewall so that tubeless will work again, better have some Stans (or whatever you use) and at least one CO2.

All of us who run tubeless would rather stay tubeless if possible. But for corn sake, bring a second tube. If your needle and thread and the magic piece of tire sidewall leave you without a tire that will hold air, it'll save you some walking if you can just put a dang tube in there. Murphy's Law dictates: if you have one tube you will flat both tires. Arizona? I'd rather have an extra tube than the first aid kit.

I agree about less water.

I disagree about TP.

It. Doesn't. Weigh. Anything.

I have a ziplock bag with enough tp for one or two incidents in each of my packs. I just leave them in there. I have only needed them a few times, but I've scored points with a number of people who did. Girls often. Apparently they need a little bit of TP even when they pee. Go figger. When they don't have any and you provide some, they often are pleased.

Agreed no shock pump--unless it's a new-ish bike and/or you don't know yet whether A) you're running the right pressure, or B) the seals are good and it holds air flawlessly. (EDIT: to anyone for which this is not obvious--never ever try to let a little air out of your shock/fork with your fingernail unless you damn well have a shock pump handy. You will let out too much, maybe even all of it. Just leave those valves capped unless you're going to put the pump on them.)

A full bike light probably isn't warranted unless you really think 50 miles might take more than 10 hours. But having a little petzl headlamp folded up in your bag isn't a bad idea. You never know until you know.

Also agree about bringing whatever makes you feel good. Especially if it weighs less than a hankie.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

AZ
    banned
    Picketpost?

I suggest dental floss to sew up any sidewalls in addition to the tire boot (Super glue may also be of use). The boot reinforces the damaged area of the sidewall, it won't let you continue to run tubeless. I carry two tubes on the long events (26" tubes). You probably want to carry at least one light just in case, this could be a long day.

mtbr member
    Much like others said....

-2 tubes
    -No shock pump
    -Water depends on you and the temperature
    -Not sure about TP. Can't say I've ever needed to carry that on a ride but if think you'll need it then it'll be worth its weight in gold.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Sanchez, It is Picket Post. if you think a light makes sense, I will follow your lead.

I guess I better do search on side wall repair. Floss makes sense.

I will now be packing a second tube.

I am surprised by the less water comments. I have always errored on bringing more. I will go with what feels right based on the day.

Do you guys carry an extra derailer hanger? I thought that could make sense and is light.

Thanks for all the advice.

AZ
    banned
    Do you guys carry an extra derailer hanger? I thought that could make sense and is light.

Yes, absolutely must have one.

mtbr member
    If riding Picket Post, bring a small light that you can see the trail with in case you're stuck out longer than you think. Bring needle and floss. When riding in remote AZ desert, this is a must. People that haven't ridden here don't get the damage our terrain can inflict. A spare der. hanger is always welcome. 2 tubes plus a patch kit and tire boot or use energy bar wrapper, even if running tubeless.

I would plan water based upon where you can fill up. A filter weighs almost nothing but can be a lifesaver!

Good luck and have a blast out there!
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Possibly some misunderstanding on my tire boot recommendation. I cut a piece of a burly old knobby and carry it as a boot. If my tubeless tires get a sidewall tear, I insert the boot AND OF COURSE A TUBE, reinflate, and off I go. I'm not sewing during a race.

I've done the home made boot thing 3 times on different rides over the (many) years, but never had to do so during a race. I did, however, once come upon a disgruntled looking racer on the side of the trail, and when I asked the usual "anything I can do to help?" his reply was "not unless you've got a tire boot".

Which I did, and which saved his race, and which resulted in me receiving a very fine 6-pack of IPA in the finish line area.

FWIW, Park makes some fine self-adhesive tire boots, but they will not stick to a Stan'd tire, and are designed to be used with a tube, anyway. If you ride with tubes, they work really well, and take up no space.

mtbr member
    I am doing my first endurance race in a couple weeks. The course is 50 miles and very remote. It is in AZ, so the temps should be real nice and there should be no rain. There will be water at mile 35, hour 6ish. I want to bring what makes sense to finish.

I have a FS bike running tubless

Here is what I was thinking:
    100 oz camelback, with 2 22oz bottles on the bike. Maybe one extra bottle?
    Food I got figured out
    1 Extra tube
    Tube patches
    Needle and thread for side wall slash
    Air pump
    Light first aid, mainly gaze and some big bandage pads, a couple small band aids, small packet anti-bacterial ointment
    Suspension high presure pump? Not sure? Never ride with one, but read it is a good idea.
    Multi tool with allens, small pliers, zip ties, duct tape, tire lever, chain breaker, small clean rag
    Toilet paper
    Bike light
    Might bring light wind breaker or more based on tempature forecast
    Small tube of sunscreen
    Sunglasses
    Phone/camera
    GPS
    Don't overthink this one. Remember you're going into Superior at one point so you have a resupply on food and fluids. Your list looks pretty solid, here's what I would change.

consider going with
    2 tubes, at least one with sealant
    ditch the 1st aid, that's what the rag is for!
    gorilla tape wrapped around a normal pump
    -this + super glue can give you some piece of mind on minor sidewall cuts. or an extra layer if you sew one up.
    2oz bottle of stan's
    cash

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: What to pack? 50 miles/10 hours/remote loop w/ no official support

Here's some weightless stuff that can't hurt:

A few zip ties of different strength (whoops said already)

A whistle (for help if incapacitated or lost)

Chain master link/power link: If you have chain problems, chain breaker usually isn't gonna help. The problem link already broke. If you pin back together you'll be shorter, risking further breakage or even derailleur failure if you're in, say, 2x10 big-big, and you get a big compression. also pinning it back together is way less reliable than a master link, you're likely to break again at the same spot. So, master link is the best solve when on the trail.

Derailleur cable - occasionally they mysteriously break

And, this may seem odd, but i carry an extra spreader spring for brakes. A buddy of mine was replacing his wheel on a long ride, accidentally caught the spreader as he was inserting the disc, and bent it all to hell. his brakes were therefore stuck closed/dragging for the rest of the ride. So next time i replaced my pads i kept the old spreader in my pack after. Its close to weightless.

AZ
    banned
    Two quick links and a few extra links can save your bacon if you gack the chain. I always pack a couple of Baby Wipes in a ziplock as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yeah, how did the quick link thing get overlooked? An absolute must. One to lose in the dirt, and the second to successfully repair the chain. They weigh nothing and take up no room.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Good thread, never trained or raced with a boot. Today I'll start!

mtbr member
    I'm reading a lot of stuff about tire boots...

My carry (and it works): A dollar bill and a few inches of tape, wrapped around a small piece of plastic ("dog-ear" the end of your tape...this way you can acquire it quickly).

FWIW.

Cheers,

R

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Tape is a tough sell on a tire that has been running Stans. It used to be my go-to boot, now it is my go-to tubeless rim strip material!

Vincit qui patitur
    Duct tape wrapped around your seat post, SPOT, super glue (cuts etc), comb for cholla cactus, spare batteries for spot and/or lights and GPS, lighter, etc. Think back country hiking alone too.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I made some patches out of duct tape covered card did four in two different sizes, weigh next to nothing....but a godsend if i slash my tubeless tyre wall. luckily when i first did it my mate had a plastic paracetamol packet to keep the tube in the tyre JUST..

mtbr member
    If you can get one of those small lube bottles (sometimes in your race bag)... dry would be ideal... re-lube after 5 hours.

Ahhh the pain....
    Pretty good list...As someone doing the same race (81 mile version), I'll be carrying most of that stuff too. The whole "do I sew up a slice and try and stay tubeless" vs throwing in a tube I think really depends on the slice. I've had minor cuts that a few stitches (w/o breaking the bead), some super glue, and some gorilla tape over the top fixed great on the first try. Then again, I've had cuts where I keep trying to get it to seal and eventually tube it. I've seen someone (on that very trail at Picket Post) cut a tire from bead to tread...no effing way sewing would work. Took 2 park boots to get him out. So, I say, sew it if minor, or if very near the start of the race. You may need to save those tubes till later.
    Oh, and I like to carry one of those stans valve core removers too and a small syringe. You can rescue out some stans from your slashed tire and squirt it into your tube by taking out the valve core.
    The key thing here is that although it's a race, it also a race that takes place in some REMOTE areas of AZ. This ain't a "do a sh*tload of laps around a 8 mile track... For the folks doing the 81 miler, your worse case walk-out is 20 miles...that could take a while.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/