Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

What happened at the Cascade Cream Puff?

The DNF rate was super high: OBRA: Results: 2013: Cascade Cream Puff 100
    I would not have finished. I am not sure this is good for a race (or is it?). You decide.

jms
    mtbr member
    It's a great race. It was a fantastic course. I missed the CCP for the first time in seven years and I'm bummed. I believe it was heat/humidity that caused the attrition rate - I saw a Sunday forecast for Oakridge of 95 degrees. I've raced it in those conditions and the humidity is hellacious in the woods @ Tire and Winberry in when it's that hot, it turns in to a flippin sauna. Last year I was hypothermic at the finish. Race day weather is the luck of the draw.

I'm looking forward to making up for my absence with the Fat 55 ......... Having done everything from the Whiskey 50, The Tahoe Sierra 100 and the High Cascades 100 [3x, 1 podium] the CCP and Fat 55 are still far and away my favorite races. They both deserve greater support than what they've received lately.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It wasn't too terribly hot. I thought the weather was pretty nice. The reason for the high DNF rate was the course. It was hard--by CCP standards it was hard--that means it was HARD. The climbing wasn't insane by volume, but it was steep and pitchy. 1912 was a *****. Even worse was the climb out clover patch up to Alpine trail. It just sucked the life out of everyone. Although the course was a great one, I think that for 100 miles, it was too much for most. As a 50 mile course, it was perfect--right on par with the Fat55 course in terms of difficulty.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I liked the Fat 55 but the gravel roads got old. The feeling of the town along with singletrack is nice. Capitol Forest is my favorite endurance race. Very little gravel and sweet singletrack.

The CCP has to do something because you can't have that many DNF's and have folks want to come back.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I agree re Capitol. Personally I like 5 hour-ish, single loop courses. The 50 mile option for CCP looks interesting. I may do that next year instead of High Cascades.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I liked the Fat 55 but the gravel roads got old. The feeling of the town along with singletrack is nice. Capitol Forest is my favorite endurance race. Very little gravel and sweet singletrack.

The CCP has to do something because you can't have that many DNF's and have folks want to come back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I agree with all above, but I'd like to elaborate a little. First, there is less daylight than normal, so there's that. I don't think the course had any more vertical than normal, but it was definitely steeper with a larger portion on single track. The added clover patch descent wasn't crazy techy, but it was definitely more high-speed-chunky-rooty-rocky than the average Alpine trail descent, and I think that goes a long ways; my upper body was nearly as beat up this year as when I did the race on a rigid, which totally sucked (I think there were two rigid finishers this year: first place SS and DFL).

The race was also a bit of an anomaly because I feel I rode the first lap pretty conservatively and still got down in 5:40, then completely blew up in the second lap. But even after limping along for a soul-crushing fifty miles nourished only by coke and watermelon, I still finished relatively quickly; I can't figure out why this year felt so much harder yet didn't really take me (or the top finishers) longer than normal. With that said, I still lost 5 lbs after eating dinner and chugging a few bottles of water.

I do think this is the best CCP course so far, and I think others will agree more as the pain subsides. The added clover patch descent was undeniably awesome and well worth whatever parts of Alpine and/or winberry divide it replaced. Capitol Forest is a great place but lacks that je ne sais quoi of the CCP. It's a shame that the race could become too difficult to attract enough people to sustain it. While I was on my bike I was cursing the new organizers more than I had ever cursed Scott Taylor, but with the hindsite I now have from my bed sipping a glass of scotch I'm just gonna say that we need to HTFU. It's a 100 mile mountain bike race with some ungodly number of verticals (17k - 22k, depending on who's strava you're stalking), and to finish this thing you're gonna be pushed into some real dark places in your psyche.

Not sure I directly answered any questions, but I blame the scotch for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sounds tough! I bailed at the last minute for a bunch of boring reasons, but the main one was the last-minute decision by the promoter to go with a 50 instead of a 65.

Sounds like the 50 would have been plenty tough!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    A couple of years ago I flipped a coin to decide between HC100 and CCP100, ended up with HC100 but injury meant I cancelled the trip. Last year I raced the HC as it had become a NUE race, but a couple of days later I did most of a lap of the CCP. Ouch, that climb hurts, and the mach speeds you can hit coming down Alpine
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    May 2007
    good thread & great race, that said i did not get there this year but plan to next year
    Go that way really fast......if anything gets in your way turn.

Living the Dream
    How does HC compare to SM100 and W101? I am originally from NORCAL and interested in doing HC100. Was the single track fun?
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

It's carbon dontcha know.
    It's superb. Probably the favourite 100 mile race I've done for the course.

Shenandoah is the best complete package, but HC100 is still has the best course imo.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Agreed--doesn't get better than the HC100 for superb course and organization.