Carnivore

What to eat before 50 miler?

I'm getting ready to race the Whiskey 50 again and wondering what is the best prerace meal. I usually just eat a breakfast burrito and drink lots of electrolyte drink. BTW. I plan on finishing in about 4.5 hours maybe less.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    This works for me. An energy bar when I wake up. Two hours before a long ride or race. 8 ounces of Lowfat butter milk to settle my stomach. Then two PBJ's on Raisin Bread and a can of chocolate Slim Fast or low fat Chocolate Milk. It works and I never have stomach issues. It took some experimenting to find out. I carry enough fluid and calories in my camel-back to not have to use any aid stations and a bottle on my bike, just in case. I just use Gel and Electrolyte tabs during a race of this distance. I do take a marathon Snickers bar just in case but usually don't use it.

Carnivore
    That is one of the most creative prerace diets I have ever heard but it sounds like it ought to work.

mtbr member
    Eat whatever you normally eat before a big ride for breakfast. Changing things up on race day is a good way to cause yourself stomach issues. If you normally eat a giant breakfast burrito and go for rides in training and it sits well on your stomach then stick with that. Usually I will eat Greek yogurt with a bagel and honey but everyone is different when it comes to foods. The only thing I change is drinking extra water and sometimes a sport drink.

mtbr member

Or...

...a big bowl of menudo!

Name:  20090728-nastybits-final.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  65.8 KB
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

mtbr member
    Breakfast (~2 hrs prior to riding):
    2 pcs toast w/ jam
    2 eggs
    1 banana
    1 cup of coffee

<1 hour prior:
    16oz bottle of Cytomax (or sports drink of choice)
    16oz bottle of water

During ride:
    Gu/Gel every 1.5hrs, or as needed depending on your size and effort level
    "Got everything you need?"

Carnivore
    Thanks.

I know better than to make a big change before a race but I'm not that committed to what I'm doing currently so I'm interested to see what others do. I can generally tolerate almost anything in my guts but the one thing I don't do race day is milk. I love milk but it always makes me cough up more phlegm when racing.

mtbr member
    night b4 a liter of Tonic Water! who knows why

Merendon Junkie
    That menudo looks great, here we call it mondongo!

As for the OP. I have been told that its not recommendable to eat any wheat or wheat flour products right before a race as it takes a long time to digest.

Chhers

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    Thanks.

I know better than to make a big change before a race but I'm not that committed to what I'm doing currently so I'm interested to see what others do...
    I got this info years ago, that basically there is glycogen in your muscles when you wake up in the morning, that's what you are going to burn initially. It's the basic energy that muscles run off, food needs to be digested fully before any glycogen is produced. Eating a bunch in the morning is not likely to give you much glycogen in time to be helpful. This doc is a bit of info on it:

Proper Fueling - Pre-workout & race suggestions | Hammer Nutrition

For me, depends how long it will be after I wake up that I'll be starting--race or big ride. If it's several hours (3+), I will likely eat a more or less normal breakfast. For me it's usually eggs and toast or cereal with a fair amount of walnuts and pumpkin seeds. If it's two hours I might eat just some scrambled eggs. Less than two hours? Liquids.

My priority is to have a more-or-less empty stomach when it's go time. I go to liquid fuel more or less immediately after the start. I'm using Tailwind. I'll down a half a bottle (~150 calories) of Tailwind in the hour before starting. Then I start my normal Tailwind consumption.

My $.02
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member

Re: What to eat before 50 miler?

I sort of follow the above post from Tom. If it is a long endurance event, breakfast needs to be done with at least 3 hours before the start. This may mean waking and cooking early to meet this time constraint. I like a big bowl of steel cut oats with a big handful of frozen Costco berries thrown in. Usually also a couple fried eggs. And always coffee! I have a thing for sausage links, too...
    If it isn't an endurance event, I'll cut back on the volume of food but stick to the same schedule. Usually this means just the oatmeal and coffee. If I can't make the 3 hours prior thing work, then I'll keep food intake low and drink water and electrolytes.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cale399 View Post
    night b4 a liter of Tonic Water! who knows why
    I know why, but first, what do I win?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Three weeks after your post, but thanks for the great read! Rep added for sure!