mtbr member

What do you pack in rest stop bags?

Doing my first 50 miler race this week in the Fool's Gold.

The website says the 50 milers can use two 1 gallon bags at the 4 rest stops. I'm looking for tips from those who have a few of these races under their belt.

What do I need to pack? What should I not bother with?

Rest stop 2/3 is the same spot for those not familiar.

Thinks I'm considering:

Honey Stinger waffles, Hammer Perpetuem Solids, Hammer Endurolyte FIZZ, Chain lube and and small rag, Spare tube(I'm riding tubeless), Extra CO2's, Peanut butter and honey sandwich or two.

What can I expect when reaching a rest stop? Will I be digging around for my bag, or do they see your race # and find it for you?

I read that in the past, rest stops have been an issue at this race regarding water. I dont want this to turn to a bash fest on the race, just looking for some good tips.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Medeco; 09-03-2012 at 06:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I've done this race...

several times.. Here's what I'm putting in mine..

Extra water bottle, bottle will have drink mix in it.. small can of coke, 7oz. and a small carton of coconut water.. I'll also put a bonk buster, and gels as well as some chamois creme and an extra pair of gloves.. tube for sure and patches..

I've never had a problem at the rest stops..

I'll hit the coke at no. 2 along with the gels and gloves.. Next time through I'll swap bottles, bonk buster and coconut water in the back pocket.. It's only 6oz, I may drink it there, but will probably move on..

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Pizza and beer..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    In addition to those things already mentioned --> Pretzels.

Life-Long Rider
    Sep 2012
    I'd recommend adding some sort of protein too. I know there's protein in peanut butter, but if you're going to be out there most of the day you'll probably need more. I eat salami on long rides, cut into bite sized pieces. It's weird, but it works.

Don't forget sodium either. A couple salt packets can keep the cramps away better than anything else.