• 09-03-2012
    What do you pack in rest stop bags?
    Doing my first 50 miler race this week in the Fool's Gold.

The website says the 50 milers can use two 1 gallon bags at the 4 rest stops. I'm looking for tips from those who have a few of these races under their belt.

What do I need to pack? What should I not bother with?

Rest stop 2/3 is the same spot for those not familiar.

Thinks I'm considering:

Honey Stinger waffles, Hammer Perpetuem Solids, Hammer Endurolyte FIZZ, Chain lube and and small rag, Spare tube(I'm riding tubeless), Extra CO2's, Peanut butter and honey sandwich or two.

What can I expect when reaching a rest stop? Will I be digging around for my bag, or do they see your race # and find it for you?

I read that in the past, rest stops have been an issue at this race regarding water. I dont want this to turn to a bash fest on the race, just looking for some good tips.

• 09-03-2012
    I've done this race...
    several times.. Here's what I'm putting in mine..

Extra water bottle, bottle will have drink mix in it.. small can of coke, 7oz. and a small carton of coconut water.. I'll also put a bonk buster, and gels as well as some chamois creme and an extra pair of gloves.. tube for sure and patches..

I've never had a problem at the rest stops..

I'll hit the coke at no. 2 along with the gels and gloves.. Next time through I'll swap bottles, bonk buster and coconut water in the back pocket.. It's only 6oz, I may drink it there, but will probably move on..
  • 09-05-2012
    Pizza and beer..
  • 09-05-2012
    In addition to those things already mentioned --> Pretzels.
  • 09-06-2012
    I'd recommend adding some sort of protein too. I know there's protein in peanut butter, but if you're going to be out there most of the day you'll probably need more. I eat salami on long rides, cut into bite sized pieces. It's weird, but it works.

Don't forget sodium either. A couple salt packets can keep the cramps away better than anything else.