Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Twowheelchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    156

    What to do last few weeks before 24HITOP solo?

    Doing my first 24hr solo and I want to be well rested for the event. I've been doing some 8+ hr rides and some shorter stuff and will be doing a couple MBAA XC races in the weeks before the 24hrs. I've already decided to soft pedal the XC race the weekend before but I'm wondering about getting proper rest without losing too much. I'm 51 yrs old and slow so I'm not worried about what place I get. My goal is to ride the whole time and get 10 or more laps.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    561
    I'm currently a week and a half out on my 12hr race and I'm on the get the flu and dream about riding taper plan

    First make sure your getting solid sleep and on a regular schedule. If your event starts Saturday then Thursday night is the most important to get a good night sleep.

    As far as taper goes I always try and back off on the intensity so I'm still pushing at least my 24hr pace just not setting an KOM's or PR. Back off on the distance a lot if you doing regular 8hr rides, I'd say some 2hr ride the second week before and some 1hr rides in the last few days. The idea is to keep your muscle in their dythe by maintaining your intensity but reduce the time so your not breaking them down, only waking them up to eat.

    For a race like a 24hr solo to much taper is better then to little but to much taper can wreak havoc on your confidence so shut that out of your mind and believe your going to do good. If your race is Saturday take Thursday off and get your gear ready, do a short ride or pre-ride the course at your expected 24hr pace. Don't "carbo load" or extra hydrate for dinner just eat a normal sized dinner with carbs and drink water, your body does best with gradual changes or consistency.

    As an added bonus plan out your pitting for the 24hr make sure you have a plan to reduce your time in he pits so your legs stay loose and your time is spent moving forward. Going through the race in your head can bring about some anxiety but it also keeps you occupied while your suffering though this not much riding period of taper week.

    Best of luck and what race are you doing?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Twowheelchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    156
    Thanks. I'll skip the flu though. I'm doing the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo in mid Feb. 16.5 mi. laps.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    561
    Yeah I would have liked to gone to that race but I suck at knowing about races 6 months early to register. I'd do so many more races if I could enter the week of

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22
    I have raced 5 24hr solos and have consistently done well. I would agree with the taper plan as stated above. When it comes to race day, my advice is this: Race for 24hrs ONE LAP AT A TIME. I strongly recommend eating and drinking the same things (more or less) at the same point during the lap. At OP, I recommend a watered down gel at the lap point (pit), a bar just after the "*****es" on the road, then drink a 21oz bottle of your choice (I like scratch labs) over the duration of the lap. Consume no more than 400 calories per hour and only 300 is fine, especially if you are not trying to achieve 17 or 18 laps. Having a vile of pickle juice is great too in your back pocket in the event of cramping. Getting your body and mind into a routine is key to living the race one lap at a time. This will also greatly reduce the mental stress of figuring out what the F you are supposed to do as the hours wear you down. The routine will also make the laps go by must faster mentally. And remember, it's 90% mental. The other 10% is mental. Keep your head straight and you will achieve your goal. Best of luck.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OnThaCouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    540
    I've heard it put "It's 90% mental, the other 10% is all in your head"

    Quote Originally Posted by Solidrs View Post
    And remember, it's 90% mental. The other 10% is mental.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Twowheelchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    156
    Solidrs, Thanks for your wisdom. I've been quizzing a bunch of locals who have done it and kind of synthesizing a plan that seems like it will fit my style. I can definitely use some of what you suggest. I was going to go for around 300 cal per lap myself with 100 or so coming from Scratch (pineapple is awesome) and the rest coming from Dr. Lim's portables or whatever else seemed good at that hour. I had planned to give myself some choices but I like the idea of a routine too. I've tested out the chocolate chip coconut recipe and another with eggs and sausage. They were great. Easy to eat, no gut problems on 8 hr rides and they seem like real food. I can't do gels all day. I hadn't thought of the pickle juice but I will definitely bring some. I'm wondering about caffine. I know some people who down the Red Bulls or whatever for half the race but I plan to use something with a kick only if I really need a boost. Dr. Pepper is my drug of choice. I find that my body sort of crashes about 4 hours later.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    561
    I forgot to mention coca cola or in your case dr pepper is your freind after 8hrs. Something with sugar and caffeine to wake you up plus you'll want the carbonation because it'll allow you to belch out the accumulation of gases and such that collect from eating crap all day. I like coca cola because its at every ultra marathon aid station and it just works, if I'm setting up my own pit stop then I'll buy the little mini 6oz kids cans because that's the pefect about. If your looking at 90min or longer laps then I'd drink at least a few oz every time you pass your pit. It'll only last you about 90 mins then you hit it again and your good for another 90 mins. The mistake I've most often made during my 4 100 mile ultra runs and 4 24hr solo Mtb races is forgetting that swig of coke and litteraly fell asleep on my feet or in the saddle, fell over both times.

    I've been meaning to find some caffeine pills to stash on the bike just incase I have a brain fart and forget drink a little coke when I pass through the pit.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    70

    What to do last few weeks before 24HITOP solo?

    Some solid advice in this thread, thanks.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,445
    Great advice above. The only thing I have to add is my favorite bit of advice from my original mentor in this craziness: The week before an endurance race is too late to gain anything, but leaves plenty of time to lose a lot, so go easy!

    Also, Rojo's point of "your body does best with gradual changes or consistency" is so true about so many different aspects of endurance racing, that it bears repeating (possibly even in caps).
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Similar Threads

  1. Bikepacking + 24HitOP = Awesomesauce
    By freeskier46 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
  3. Anyone doing 24hitop?
    By juan_speeder in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 11:20 AM
  4. NM Rocks 24HITOP!
    By DaGoat in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
  5. 24hitop rider/teams list?
    By RobZona in forum Arizona
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •