mtbr member

What Did You Eat After Your Race?

Did my first 100 miler. Had a hamburger and a hot dog with regular coke on-site. Then went to some ice cream shop and had a banana split with whipped cream. Absolutely no guilt!
    '15 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon World Cup

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm also a "reward eating" 100 miler. Usually it's a burger and fries or Mexican.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Mex is the best!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    After some races I have no desire to eat at all. Yesterday I had a burger that I couldn't remove the buns from to add condiments, baked beans, pasta salad, and BEER!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I raced Shenandoah this weekend also. I have to say after 98 miles of nothing but Tailwind I was not starving like I usually am after an endurance event. I hate to be a bandwagon guy but I am becoming a believer in TW! I felt perfectly fueled the whole race and was not starving after...

But I had the cheese burger, fruit salad, pasta salad, and regular leafy green salad post race meal. I loaded the burger with relish, mustard, and the leafy green salad. I have to say it all tasted excellent! Then about 1.5 hours later on the way home I stopped for a Met-Rex protein bar and chocolate milk.

mtbr member
    jbell, congrats! I also rode SM100 this weekend. As well, I also rode on Tailwind (with a few chunks of PB&J and some Swedish Fish at AS2 and 4). Also, I hope you had some of the traditional Scud fries at AS6. They are so refreshing. Getting there and eating the fries lets you know, "You got this!"
    After the race, had a small protein shake (2 scoops of GNC Amped in just 4 oz of water). Then I had 2 hot dogs, baked beans, and a wonderful pale ale!
    I gotta say, those toasted hotdog buns were the best!
    Congrats again!
    _Matt E.
    I just wanna ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
    After some races I have no desire to eat at all. Yesterday I had a burger that I couldn't remove the buns from to add condiments, baked beans, pasta salad, and BEER!
    Good to see you out there again! Big congrats!
    And yes, the burgers looked a little "well done." I went for the hotdogs....mmm.
    _Matt E.
    I just wanna ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg81 View Post
    Did my first 100 miler. Had a hamburger and a hot dog with regular coke on-site. Then went to some ice cream shop and had a banana split with whipped cream. Absolutely no guilt!
    Big congrats, Stuart!
    See you again soon.
    _Matt E.
    I just wanna ride...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMustang View Post
    Also, I hope you had some of the traditional Scud fries at AS6. They are so refreshing. Getting there and eating the fries lets you know, "You got this!"
    Congrats again!
    _Matt E.
    I cooked almost every one of those Scud fries.... It was enlightening to work an aid station all day. The 1st time through almost everyone stopped (including JB) and the 1st half of the pack was in a pretty big hurry. The 2nd time through, most of the top 20 did NOT stop (Quadswoth was the 1st one to stop and get fries). Behind the top 25, most stopped, most not in too big of a hurry. There were less "shattered souls" than I expected and we didn't have to cut off any riders. To my knowledge, everyone who made it to AS6, made it to the end.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    I cooked almost every one of those Scud fries.... It was enlightening to work an aid station all day. The 1st time through almost everyone stopped (including JB) and the 1st half of the pack was in a pretty big hurry. The 2nd time through, most of the top 20 did NOT stop (Quadswoth was the 1st one to stop and get fries). Behind the top 25, most stopped, most not in too big of a hurry. There were less "shattered souls" than I expected and we didn't have to cut off any riders. To my knowledge, everyone who made it to AS6, made it to the end.
    First off Thank You SM100 is a great race and the volunteers at the Aid Stations and AS6 particularly make it a big success every year. Last year I worked at Aid Station due to injury and it was rewarding and gets you stoked to ride for sure.

As far as eating "all" and "everything" was correct I even went back for leftover AS5 Pizza (which I chose to skip during the race)!
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMustang View Post
    Big congrats, Stuart!
    See you again soon.
    _Matt E.
    Thanks! Like others, TW was excellent for me. Supplemented with a few gels and a few fig bars at as2 and as5 with a slice of pizza at as5 as the mechanic worked on my bike.

Big kudos to the volunteer and mechanic at as5 who noticed that my rear wheel was loose - actually turned out that a pivot bolt was loose! The mechanic said that it was not uncommon to see a loose bolt in conditions like at sm 100. My bike is about three years old and I thought that the rear was a bit loose but I thought that it was my poor handling. I shudder at the thought had they not spotted it.

I'll have to look out for the scud fries the next time. I think i missed them at as5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '15 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon World Cup

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes, THANK YOU to all the aid station volunteers!!! I unfortunately did not spend much time at any of the aid stations. I did slide into the 1st one thinking it was #2, but was quickly made aware of my mistake so I only lost a second or two. After reviewing my GPS time I only had a 9 min overall difference from my moving time to total time. So because of the excellent work of the wonderful people at the aid stations I averaged less than 2 min at any one stop. That was no food, just a bottle top off add my TW to it and some much needed chain lube at AS#5 I think.

I know I was not in the race for a podium spot, but I had a goal I wanted to meet. Unfortunately b/c of my poor gearing choice I just missed my 10 MPH average pace by 0.25 MPH. I raced it on a 34X22 and know I could have picked up a good bit of time with a little more road speed (there was more road / double track sections than I had anticipated). I love 34X22 on single track and can hold my own, but I spin out pretty quick on the roads.

None the less GREAT race with even better support, Ill be there next year!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post

I raced it on a 34X22 and know I could have picked up a good bit of time with a little more road speed (there was more road / double track sections than I had anticipated). I love 34X22 on single track and can hold my own, but I spin out pretty quick on the roads.
    I think Gordon ran something like 34X19....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sounds about like Gordon's normal gearing. He is an animal!

mtbr member
    I was floored to see people sitting and eating pizza at 5. I would've deposited that on the side of the trail well before the top of the final climb. In hindsight I should've had some fries just for the tradition but for once my eating habits seemed to be working out for me and I didn't want to ruin it.

I think what helped me the most is I decided to use my Camelbak with just water in addition to my bottles with Carborocket. I have a tendency to not hydrate enough when using bottles with CR so I thought I'd give myself the option of having water as well. A most excellent idea!

mtbr member
    Haven't raced in a while and had never heard of Tailwind. Was just looking at their website, and it seems pretty sugary for an endurance event. In the past I always used Hammer Perpetuem for long days in the saddle. No simple sugars and plenty of energy provided. No stomach problems for people drinking Tailwind all day? Anyone opt for Perpetuem at SM100?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I helped at least one guy at AS2 refill a bottle and he was using Moca Perpetuem. I asked him what it was because of the brown color that I had not seen before and that it seemed like he put a ton of it in the bottle. The end result looked like Chocolate milk. I'm not sure I could drink that all day...

everything in sight.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by likeybikey View Post
    Haven't raced in a while and had never heard of Tailwind. Was just looking at their website, and it seems pretty sugary for an endurance event. In the past I always used Hammer Perpetuem for long days in the saddle. No simple sugars and plenty of energy provided. No stomach problems for people drinking Tailwind all day? Anyone opt for Perpetuem at SM100?
    I'd like to hear what people say on TW too?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm a TW user. I don't have any stomach issues, but then my stomach isn't what I'd call sensitive either. I mix 400Kcal/L of water and consume at a rate of around .7L/hr.

jbell, I finished just a couple minutes after you at SM100. I turned a 32x20 gear. I wonder if you were the guy who blew by me shortly after Hanky?

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I'd like to hear what people say on TW too?
    I've done tailwind for multiple 12hr solos, 100 milers and 50-60 mile races and it's been great. Supplement with a banana and some fig newtons on the longer races....but otherwise ~350 calories of tailwind per hour and just go.

Same with a 24hr solo. 1 bottle per lap, then supplement with solid food occasionally. Stomach didn't feel GREAT hours 18-24....but I was still riding strong and definitely not puking or anything. I'm thinking some of that was having too much water at night...gotta thicken up the mixture when it gets colder so you get the same calories, but don't have to drink 24oz of water with it.

My stomach also lets me ride on oreos, redbull, coke and donuts and be perfectly fine.....so my testimony may not be worth much.

I don't train with tailwind though. Too expensive and sugary.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Don't know, I was honestly happy with my gearing (for my legs and condition). I honestly never really got tired, just kept the legs turning. I was watching my pace real close as I had no clue about the course and did not want to blow up. Of course I was tired after the race, but not spent. I could have gone harder, but I am happy with how it went.

I have a 12 hour this next Saturday, and plan on only fueling off TW. The course is about a 7-7.5 mile lap on pretty flat ground, but damn is it rocky and rooty! I can update this thread of how I make out on the TW. I expect it will be a good race using the TW based on my previous races and rides fueling on it, but this will be my longest so we will see if any problems arise. I am going to have some bail out foods (a can of Coke, Cliff bars, sushi rice with maple syrup and one with soy sauce) just incase. I have found that during 12 and 24 hour races (riding solo) sushi rice with maple syrup or soy sauce is the best solid I can get. It goes down fast, taste good, and my body responds very good to it. Surprisingly Little Debby Oatmeal Cream pies are a good fuel source too, but you have to get the big box (the pies are larger and have more cream in them!!).

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Now I want a burger. And a burrito.
    I'm most at home while riding rocks
    mtbphd.com

brakepowermeter.com