Carnivore

What is the best 24 hour solo training plan?

???
    Last edited by gila monster; 03-25-2013 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I used Chris Eatouh's 24 Solo Plan last year and it was great. Did well in my first 24 Solo race and also did well in both a 50 miler and a 100k...couldn't have do it without Chris!
    Chris Eatough - Professional Mountain Biker

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    chris eatough, isn't this the guy who was defeated by an aussie going for his seventh WC and retired as he admitted that the winner had shown him what true determination to win was. (the aussie rode himself into 3 days in ICU as his muscles where breaking down and killing him by the end of the ride)
    everyone is different and everyone has different approaches to preparing for 24hr solo events, finding out what Jason English does might be a good place to look. The guy is a machine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah that was a great ride by Jason English that year but he nearly DIED to win by one lap, so not sure if he's one to emulate. But to each their own.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It was Craig Gordon who nearly killed himself beating Chris My hat is off to anyone that can ride a 24hr solo winning or not because I can't I was just asking as I wasn't sure if it was chris in that epic battle. (they played the vid at the Scott 24hr the following year and omg what started out as the movie producer filming chris and going for his 7th win turned into a movie about their ding dong battle that year, The camera mans comments still haunt me when craig collapsed halfway through the final lap and after checking with a course marshall, race management decreed he had to finish the lap, both the camera guy and the marshall had to put him on the bike and ride beside him, with only one leg capable of pedalling.
    His words...it was the cruellest thing he had ever seen. The ambulance was waiting at the finish like for craig..
    Chris had a cry at losing on the day, then when interviewed a couple of days later made that statement about determination to win.
    BUT to win 6 WC solo championships is no mean feat and worth the praise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've gotten by pretty well over the years figuring out my own training for 100 milers (with some small, but key help from others).

I DON'T THINK THAT WOULD WORK THAT WELL FOR SOLO 24 HOUR EFFORTS.

Go with a pro's plan, IMO. There are several out there.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I would work my arse because I know that is what would give out first for me on such a long race and I have a comfy saddle.

I have talked to guys and they tell me a 24 hour race for us mortals tends to be a long, fairly slow slug. It is about persistence and the 'little engine that could.' If you are a guy who does 270 miles in 24 hours then the training would be different. I would take some short naps and have fun with it on my first attempt...

mtbr member
    Well I did it and signed up for the 24HITOP solo 2014. Looking over those training plans again. Any more experience with them to share?

BTW I changed my name from "gila monster" to avoid confusion with Gila Monster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I did my first 24-hour race solo this summer. One thing that was handy was to develop a race strategy based on what I thought I could do. It helped to study results from last year. I knew that I wouldn't be going anywhere near 24-hours of saddle time based on my own limitations. Based on previous year's results, it looked as if a fair number of people tried to ride through the night, gave up around midnight, and never got back on the bike. So, I decided to stop at 10pm, nap, then get up really early and start again. Yea, I felt like a weenie when I told people that I planned on sleeping, but the result was that I did more laps than I planned. I did more laps than people who tried to go right through and failed. I won the female class. I did more laps than any female in previous years. And I had fun!! Unfortunately, I got tendonitis in my wrist (something I never had before), which kept me out of the woods for the next month. My saddle time was 14 hours total.

Develop your own strategy. If you know you'll need rest, build it in to the plan. Build nutrition into the plan.

Another thing that really helped was setting my heart rate monitor to beep if it goes too high. It's really tough not to get sucked into riding too fast (especially if there are teams competing). The first day, I had to slow down a lot to keep it from beeping. The second day, it never beeped (because I was fatigued).

Ride Responsibly
    Come ride the 24 Hours of Gold. This will tell you where you need improvement.
    No license needed, laid back fun ride.

24-Hours of Gold

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I tend to not train for any of my solo 24hr Mtb races or my 100 mile ultra runs. I just lead an a vote life style and try to always have fun while MTBing or running. I find over a 24hr period your mind(attitude) is your most important muscle. When comparing what I do on a day to day basis to the people I battle with during a race I notice I spend half as much time out on my bike or running then others. I think because I have so much fun MTBing or running on interesting courses my positive attitude keeps my body going way past what it should be able to.

The catch is that in order for me to be successful in a ultra distance race is the course has to me fun. By fun I mean lots of single track, trees(shade), technically advanced descents and long loops. If the course lacks these things then I will get bored, lose the fun vibe and lose motivation.

I did compete in the solo class of the 24hrs of gold several years ago but the course was lacking is a challenging enough descent section and the loops were far to short. So after 12 hrs I stopped having fun and the little things like freezing my toes off and such became a bother so I stopped half way and called it a day. I will note that I had plenty of strength left in my legs and was in the lead but that wasn't enough to keep me going. I do plan on competing in 24hrs of gold again next weekend as my first ever single speed race and I hope I can somehow keep that spark of fun alive long enough to finish this time. I also hope my frame that I just mailed back to the shop gets warrantied and back to me in time for the race.

So the short version is ride a lot in places where you don't want to stop till the sun goes down or if you have lights then till the batteries die. If your not having fun then change something. Try to bring along some friends whenever possible because that always makes things more fun. And practice you nutrition plan during your long rides throughout the year because without fuel, or a solid stomach you won't make it.

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Happy to answer any questions here about my 24 hour solo training plans or training in general for a 24 solo. I've raced OP five times - love that race.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I agree RojoRacing53. Even though 24's are hard, a racer has to look for something more in the race other than just pure racing. Whether it's looking forward to enjoying the flow of a course, the ability to see how many miles you can do, whether you want to do it with almost zero downtime, racing it side by side with a buddy, testing yourself in a different way, whatever... there has to be something more to it than just racing for the podium. And everyone is unique in what they consider to be worthwhile, besides the podium.

I'll be doing my 24th 24hr Solo in just over a week. Around my 14th 24hr Solo I decided to switch only to singlespeed riding/trg/racing, so for the last 3yrs I've done all my 24 Solos on SS. The change was exactly what I needed to make it kinda new and fun in a different way again. When things start to get a bit stale I look for a way to change my racing style within each race. Sometimes I'll push myself in a way that I know is a mistake just to see what comes of it and if I can work my way out of that mess. Whether it's a persons first 24 Solo or their 75th 24 Solo, there's always a way to make it 'fun'. I fractured my ribs less than a week ago, so I guess that will be my way of changing up how I race in a week, I'm curious to see how it's going to work out. Of course my situation might not be everybody's cup of tea, and I respect that, about 12hrs in I figure it won't be my cup of tea either but I'll still see where it goes.

To anyone asking about what's the best plan... I was going to recommend Lynda as she has a great reputation and has been there and done that. Looks like Lynda showed up just before I could make that recommendation. On top of a solid plan from an experienced coach, you should try and seek out as much face to face time as you can with anyone who has done a complete 24, or a decent alternative is anyone that has done at least a 12hr (they are both very different races with different 'tips'). Keep your ear to the ground for any advice you can get, from any source, remembering that some of that advice might not exactly right for you, or some of it might be horribly wrong if it's coming from a tri-geek (joking).

I coach lots of 24hr Solo racers, along with all kinds of other road and dirt racers, but I've never created any templated plans, this is my coaching advice:

- A templated plan is valuable if you've got nothing concrete to work with.

- A templated plan is even better with occasional experienced advice (the more frequent the better) and I'm sure Lynda would provide that.

- Don't forget to keep your ear to the ground as it will present an occasional gem.

I'll be Solo at OP next year, so I'll see you there. Good luck with the trg.

Shaun

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005

24 x 24 hour solos!

staylor - awesome post and advice.

24 x 24 solos! Wow. That's impressive. That has to be a record. I haven't heard of anyone else doing that many.

Thx for the good words about my training plans.
    Last edited by LyndaW; 10-11-2013 at 10:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I used Lynda's plan this year for my "first 100 miler" then used her personal record plan for my next two. They were great. Easy to understand, fit with a standard work week well, and the additional straightforward advice on pacing, nutrition, and race day strategy was just what I needed. As for a "best" plan, I don't think there is necessarily a best plan for everyone just like the best plan for one person might not be the best plan year to year. Just get one to start with, don't cheat it...too much, and it will keep you focused and keep you from getting bored.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LyndaW View Post

24 x 24 solos! Wow. That's impressive. That has to be a record. I haven't heard of anyone else doing that many.
    Maybe because most people have much more common sense than I do. ;-)

I would think there are a few out there who have done more. Maybe I'll get back to you once I hit the 30th Solo, though at 50yrs old I might not have that many left in me, LOL!

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post

I did compete in the solo class of the 24hrs of gold several years ago but the course was lacking is a challenging enough descent section and the loops were far to short. So after 12 hrs I stopped having fun and the little things like freezing my toes off and such became a bother so I stopped half way and called it a day. I will note that I had plenty of strength left in my legs and was in the lead but that wasn't enough to keep me going. I do plan on competing in 24hrs of gold again next weekend as my first ever single speed race and I hope I can somehow keep that spark of fun alive long enough to finish this time.
    Wish we could make everybody happy! Have to settle for best we can do!
    What about the idea of this laid back event for a "Training Tool"?
    Was there anything you did like about the course?