Needed Less ~ Did More

"Welsh Ride Thing" aka GDR-Wales thread

A multi day event on the other side of the pond. With only a few weeks to go I thought it would be good to have a thread on here for discussion of kit, tactics, tictacs and lifts.

I have pretty much sorted the kit list and plan to try if out in the next week or two to make sure it all works and I have not forgotten something / packed too much (my usual fault!) Bike choice is still up in the air but I am 90% sure the drop-bar Solitude 29er will be making the trip with a 20t freewheel as 120miles in mid-Wales on a loaded fixie might just break me!

Arriva Trains Wales seem to have schedualed engineering works over the bank holiday weekend (who wants to travel then? ) so using public transport is out. I am traveling from Cheltenham with space for 2 other people and bikes if they are on the way and want picking up. The other option is anyone coming past Gloucestershire is welcome to offer me a lift

So what has anyone else got?

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    How many miles across is Wales? What altitude does the Wales Divide run at?

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Its not strictly a divide race as it does not run down any mountain chain, or indeed in a straight line. The plan is to start in mid-Wales at the organisers house, take in 6 check points (you can plan the route yourself) and then back to the start. The GDR part comes from the race rules (or lack of them) and the self-supported nature of the event.

You can indeed ride the length of Wales off-road as that was the plan for my stag (bachelor) party but the inclusion of a road bike and a broken hand meant that it was mainly on road and started from a friends place 1/5th of the way down Best laid plans and all that!

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -

Scott in Tucson
    I'm still wondering about Morlahach's first question. Got any estimated distance figures? Time to complete? Surfaces? That kind of thing.

Thanks, sounds interesting.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Well as you can plan your own route as long as it takes in the checkpoints the organiser is thinking about 100-120miles, starting Saturday 12pm and ending sometime Monday. Altitude will depend very much on route taken so I will have to let you know after the event

Surfaces will vary from road to dirt track to moorland singletrack and "there's a dotted line on the map but no trail on the ground" A new trail has been named "George Micheal" after the organiser almost got his shoe sucked off in a bog

48hrs for 120miles even off-road sounds like a long time if the weather cooprates it could be a lot shorter and more pleasant!

SSP
    -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Alex - did you see Dave Buchanan's off road Welsh C2C in under 24hrs - http://www.davebuchanan.co.uk/blog/6188369250625428977/

Very good effort in my book and throws a gauntlet for the UK ultra crowd (which sounds a bit poncey but you know what I mean)...

His teammate Rich Rothwell is taking that with an England (St Bees-Robin Hoods Bay) C2C midmay.

http://richyroth.blogspot.com/2008/1...d-idea-si.html

Stuff's happening :-) I've an idea but not thought it through properly yet.

Have fun with your event and write us a nice report.

Ian

mtbr member
    Is this different from the Trans Wales event?

Nice to see someone else from Cheltenham, I live right on Leckhampton hill so access to the trails is a doddle!
    "to finish first you first must finish" - Mike Hailwood

Needed Less ~ Did More
    I live in St Pauls and normally ride over Cleeve Hill way... Until a few weeks ago I managed Williams Cycles in town.

Nothing to do with Trans-Wales, a total off-the-radar event

SSP
    -