Category Winner

Well I started a blog...

I spend all this time in the mornings on the internet and I always end up on certain blogs. Jeff K's blog is always full of gravel road rides in Arctic conditions which constantly mock my reluctance to go ride when it is less than 37 degrees in Charlotte. Ernesto is getting laser guided bike fittings which make me re-think my 60mm Thomson stem, small frame, and 26" wheels. DeJay is always drinking and still winning everything he enters. Everybody is converting to bio-diesel and logging more miles than a long haul trucker.
    I am glad that you guys take the time to post up now and again. I know it takes some effort, so I'll step up and try to play the blog game.
    There probably won't be any pictures of me riding in my snowsuit or getting my stem length calibrated to the nearest millimeter, but I'll see what I can do.

www.teamdicky.blog.com
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Welcome to Fight Club....err...Blog Club.

Really I am that slow

Kewl blog

Welcome to spending even more wasted time on the net.
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Category Winner

Small world

Quote Originally Posted by cbuchanan
    Welcome to the family!!
    How do you know Arleigh? She is working at a local shop in CLT and I was suprised when I saw her link on your site.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Hup, Hup
    Welcome to the family!!
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

Harmonius Wrench

You made me laugh!

I read your "Reasons for Blogging", and I had a good laugh! I can totally relate!

Good luck with your endeavors, and welcome to blogging chores!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

Excellent

Teamdicky, good to see a fellow enduro nut step up publicly. Talking & writin about it is half the fun, yes?

Haven't read the TR report yet, but will get to it. I'm doing it this year (no, not SS - that's over the top) and am reading all I can find...

BTW, thanks for you positive comments on that *other* thread. You'll see I've adopted the label you gave me, it seems to fit on MTBR
    Dave

Anything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

2 Epic

Category Winner

Thanks

I will link you all up if you don't mind. I originally only put links up for people I know or things I am sorta associated with.
    When youz guys post photos are you taking them at lower qualities to get them to look good when you redude the size? Does it matter?

hairball_dh[quote]
    BTW, thanks for you positive comments on that *other* thread. You'll see I've adopted the label you gave me, it seems to fit on MTBR

I admire the fact that not only did you bother to do the test, you put the info out there. If it weren't for the lack of 29"UST I would be giving 29'ers a serious looksee. I just wish I had a better grasp on the physics of it all. It would be great to see something definite. Rider opinions are nice, but if anyone asked me I would tell them they should be on a Ti 26" SS. Keep forging on, and if you do more tests I'll look at them for sure.
    I think it was mentioned before, but should gearing ratios and speeds be the same during the test?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    I will link you all up if you don't mind.
    Link away!
    When youz guys post photos are you taking them at lower qualities to get them to look good when you redude the size? Does it matter?
    I take them at the max camera quality (5 megapixels for mine) and use either the camera software or another program to save for web images.

Keep forging on, and if you do more tests I'll look at them for sure.
    I think it was mentioned before, but should gearing ratios and speeds be the same during the test?
    This round of testing looked at climbing. The primary resistive force is that of gravity - in theory, it takes a certain amount of energy to raise a mass up x feet. The energy required is independent of gearing. For instance, if I chose a cadence of 40 or a cadence of 100, it shouldn't make a difference from an energy requirement perspective. Of course I'd hate the former! That's the domain of the nutty SS guy. As speed pertains to these tests, they were within .1 or .2 mph...darn close. Different speeds, especially at higher speeds, will produce differing amounts of wind resistance, so that is important to control in flatter tests, but for this round at 7mph, it's not a factor.

Sorry, starting to look like thread hijacking...back to blogs!
    Dave

2 Epic

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

Nice blog

I especially like the pic of the skirt/skort/whatever....it's seems very slimming, does it ride up much?

stay thirsty, my friends
    Nice blog. "Bad Idea Racing" is a pretty clever name. I just recently started a blog as well. Happy bloggin
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

Category Winner

Well actually..

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyH
    I especially like the pic of the skirt/skort/whatever....it's seems very slimming, does it ride up much?
    Riding in a skirt was hard as hell. The stage I wore the dress in was 50 KM and it was mostly singletrack. The skirt kept getting stuck in front and behind the saddle. Sure it was worth it, but it did cause some nervous moments.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member

turn this plane around

Quote Originally Posted by hairball_dh
    Link away!

I take them at the max camera quality (5 megapixels for mine) and use either the camera software or another program to save for web images.

This round of testing looked at climbing. The primary resistive force is that of gravity - in theory, it takes a certain amount of energy to raise a mass up x feet. The energy required is independent of gearing. For instance, if I chose a cadence of 40 or a cadence of 100, it shouldn't make a difference from an energy requirement perspective. Of course I'd hate the former! That's the domain of the nutty SS guy. As speed pertains to these tests, they were within .1 or .2 mph...darn close. Different speeds, especially at higher speeds, will produce differing amounts of wind resistance, so that is important to control in flatter tests, but for this round at 7mph, it's not a factor.

Sorry, starting to look like thread hijacking...back to blogs!
    It's bad science to rule out factors before you start..

Teamdciky is right, speed should be held constant and not just average speed - it should be speed over every unique section of the route. Average speed is misleading since it can be boosted by applying more power at the right time.

I also wonder about the concept of average power. Is that averaged over time or over distance?

In order to say that cadence doesn't matter you must show it not assume it. As cadence changes the pedaling becomes uneven with unknown effects on the measuring apparatus and its recording method (digitizing). In fact to say that cadence doesn't matter but the rider would suffer is saying that there are factors more important than power when riding a bike!

Category Winner

Whooooaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Teamdciky is right, !
    The first page in "Physics for Dummies" says that Teamdicky is never right. He might be on the right track, but only headed in the wrong way.
    I know when I win the lottery I will fully fund his experiment.
    Right, I gotta start playing the lottery.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

this is getting old

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    It's bad science to rule out factors before you start..

Teamdciky is right, speed should be held constant and not just average speed - it should be speed over every unique section of the route. Average speed is misleading since it can be boosted by applying more power at the right time.

I also wonder about the concept of average power. Is that averaged over time or over distance?

In order to say that cadence doesn't matter you must show it not assume it. As cadence changes the pedaling becomes uneven with unknown effects on the measuring apparatus and its recording method (digitizing). In fact to say that cadence doesn't matter but the rider would suffer is saying that there are factors more important than power when riding a bike!
    Sigh.

Why is it so hard for folks to grasp the physics of this test? The purpose of this test? The specificity of this test?

I tested my two bikes. The Fuel is faster uphill on relatively smooth dirt roads for a given power for me. Deal with it!
    Dave

2 Epic

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Dicky, next thing you know will be getting sponsors.....

Nice reading. ....And yes, some day I'll update mine.

Eddie O

Category Winner

Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie O
    Dicky, next thing you know will be getting sponsors.....
    Nice reading. ....And yes, some day I'll update mine.
    Eddie O
    Sponsors? I thought that was why I married up??
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

paintbucket
    How do you know Arleigh? She is working at a local shop in CLT and I was suprised when I saw her link on your site.
    Arsbars is in Charlotte now? I thought she was still in Boston. Dang, that girl needs to settle down.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Grizzly
    Nice blog, I will link you from mine.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    I've been enjoying your blog and threw your link up on mine.

Here's the link to mine

Lynda's Blog

Anyone else up for linking my blog go right ahead. Let me know and I'll toss a link on mine too. Link pals :-)

Members who have read this thread: 0