mtbr member
    Jan 2015

weekly training volume

Just a general type question:

When training for long "races", what sort of weekly training volume should one shoot for (as a % of expected race time).

For instance, I'm considering signing up for the SM100. I would be hoping to finish in around 12hrs. How much volume should I try to work up to by race time?

Previously, my longest race was 4.5 hrs.

mtbr member
    80-110%

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You should train at the highest volume you handle.

By handle I mean
    A. What you have time for
    B. Physically recover from

If you only have enough time to train 10hrs a week then you know what your upper limit is. However, if you have time to train 20hrs a week the odds are that you can't physically handle regular weeks of 20hrs. The trick is finding the right volume for you. My experience is most people start run into their upper sustainable limit around 15 to 16hrs.

Interestingly race length has minimal effect on ideal training volume. The annual training volumes of elite rowers (6 minute races) are similar to that of Pro-tour road racers.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    You should train at the highest volume you handle.

By handle I mean
    A. What you have time for
    B. Physically recover from

If you only have enough time to train 10hrs a week then you know what your upper limit is. However, if you have time to train 20hrs a week the odds are that you can't physically handle regular weeks of 20hrs. The trick is finding the right volume for you. My experience is most people start run into their upper sustainable limit around 15 to 16hrs.

Interestingly race length has minimal effect on ideal training volume. The annual training volumes of elite rowers (6 minute races) are similar to that of Pro-tour road racers.
    Thanks for the responses. I guess what I mean is how much volume is needed to feel "confident" in being able to keep going for 12 hrs? In reality, I think 10-12 hrs a week is probably all I'll be able to find time for...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My training last year for the Salzkammergut Trophy was around 12 hour weeks. I had longer weeks to dial in time on the bike and nutrition doing one 13 hour training ride (200 miles on the road bike).
    My time in the race was 15:30 and I felt okay to the end.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    Just a general type question:

When training for long "races", what sort of weekly training volume should one shoot for (as a % of expected race time).

For instance, I'm considering signing up for the SM100. I would be hoping to finish in around 12hrs. How much volume should I try to work up to by race time?

Previously, my longest race was 4.5 hrs.
    To comfortably finish SM in 10 hrs I have had success doing 4 week blocks where you ramp up for 3 weeks and then have a down week.

For example weekly hours are roughly;

Block 1 - 10, 12, 14, 8.
    Block 2 - 12, 14, 16, 8.
    Block 3 - 14, 12, 10, 4-6.
    Race Day

I will tell you that most of the time I fall well short of the above plan hours, usually in the 80% range due to work, weather, life. And it has not mattered really. More would be better but the 10-12 hr weeks have been enough for me.

Also I would never do 80-100% of your race distance in a single training ride. I prefer to do back to back big rides on the weekends. Get your 10 hours in 2 days rather than bury yourself in a single day. Burn out.

You need to mix in tempo, intervals and a lot (too much it seems) of recovery rides too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Shakes View Post

Also I would never do 80-100% of your race distance in a single training ride. I prefer to do back to back big rides on the weekends. Get your 10 hours in 2 days rather than bury yourself in a single day. Burn out.
    This agrees with the local shop owner who used to do 24 solo's. He said even when training for a 24, he never spent more than 4hrs on the bike at a time. He would do 4 hrs 2 or 3 days in a row and always do 2 X 20 min threshold efforts in the last hour of those rides....

I've got a lot of work to do.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm going to counter that. I lay out a plan of long rides that includes races for the year. Then I try my best to hit each long ride for the week. I sprinkle in additional rides as much as I can, but I rarely meet my volume goal for the week. Last year I ramped up to 10h "training rides" in prep for my 12-14h A race. I've found that for me there's different fatigue zones at 3h, 5h, and 8h+. I like to get a ride that length under my belt to mentally prepare and work on dialing everything in.

Training is mostly about figuring out what you can fit into your life and stay motivated/have fun getting on the bike as much as possible. For me, I enjoy long rides of singletrack and look for 6h races to train for 100 milers. Others find success with daily rides and the occasional long ride mixed in. Some love intervals and detailed training plans. Try to figure out what you like, experiment a bit, and be flexible as the season develops.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxShred View Post
    My training last year for the Salzkammergut Trophy was around 12 hour weeks. I had longer weeks to dial in time on the bike and nutrition doing one 13 hour training ride (200 miles on the road bike).
    My time in the race was 15:30 and I felt okay to the end.
    I think how you find the hours is pretty critical. You need to make time to fit some long days in. I you can manage some 6hr rides in training (not every week) then I think you should feel fairly confident about managing a 12hr race.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I agree with the previous posts. The first time I ever rode 100 miles on a MTB was at the race I was training for (LT100).
    I did plenty of 50's in training and 100s on the road bike.

Just to add a thought...
    Part of the training leading up to a long race is to experiment and find out what successfully works for you and keeps you going from a nutrition, hydration and pace stand-point so that you can repeat the success during your race. No amount of training is going to save you from dehydration, stomach issues, severe cramping, etc. if you get this wrong.

Once you go beyond about 5 or 6 hours, it becomes less about your endurance training and more about how long you can maintain the effort by feeding yourself effectively.

For this reason, I don't really go more than 5 or 6 hours in any one ride. When you do go big, just give yourself a chance to recover.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

HIYAH
    usually have an 8 week buildup to larger events that includes 10+ hrs per week increasing in a ladder fashion up until 2 weeks before. Will max out at 15hrs or so. Do short tempo rides at the beginning of the week including a run of the same course on training day 1 each week. This gives me an idea of wether it is an up or down week. I never push it in on a down week. Will try to do a couple longer rides on the weekend but no where near race length. I really feel like the tempo rides build power...and being smart about how you dole it out is endurance. Training at race length with any frequency would burn me out.

Oh, i try to keep my training on successive days through a week...no rest days until weeks volume is done. Then a couple days of rest before next weeks volume. This helps with stage race prep, but also seems to allow for the training to build. Day 3 sucks!...but by day 5 I am back to normal without rest just by varying load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've done the SM100 4x (10ish hour mark+-) and every year just did it on racing XC and road leading up to it off of 10-14 hour weeks with no more than a 3-4 hour road ride once a week, with the rest mixed with crit, xc, commuting and riding.
    Definitely helps to get some MTB miles in B4.
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,