mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Using a flash while racing?

I plan on photographing some XC races this year and wanted to get input from racers about their thoughts on photogs using a flash while racing. I would like to add a little fill flash on the faces of the riders, but don't want to distract them while bombing down a hill or in a critical turn.
    Any input from you guys would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Have a little warning sign on the trail 20-30mts before the riders get to you advising them photographer ahead! A photographer had this set up in a recent 24hr race both during the day and night and was awesome for the warning the riders

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    A lot of cycling photogs around here use flash. Never has really freaked me out, mostly just a little caught off guard is all.

I like the idea of a sign, though I wonder if it would cause some people to try to show off for the camera, and then cause them to wreck? Never underestimate the stupidity of people...

mtbr member

Using a flash while racing?

Flash is no issue in a day race. Night might be a different story though

Feral Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzee429 View Post
    Flash is no issue in a day race. Night might be a different story though
    I wouldn't say "no issue", but more like "only mildly annoying". A lot depends on whether the flash in your peripheral vision
    or directly in your line of sight. I've taken flash photos of racers with a compact camera flash and nobody yelled at me, but
    it was on an uphill segment and I was clearly visible well before the riders got to me.

I've also been "flashed" while racing and it's made me much more sensitive to the issue.

I would say daylight only and side on, rather than front on. Think "separate rider from background" and not
    "illuminate face".

mtbr member
    I would suggest no flashes as it could be a bit startling at worse, annoying at best. Actually, I do not know why so many people are out there taking photos. If you do, pull back a little, these close up photos that seem to dominate are pretty lame.

Also, as someone that has hit two photographers during races, don't get too near the course.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Fill flash is barely noticed by myself. No one I've ridden with has said anything about t the photogs at our races. Like idea of the sign.
    If you can be blissfully ignorant to the notion that something is impossible, then you might surprise yourself. -- Andrea138

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ... and don't use a motion sensor to trigger a flash on an unattended camera. The guys from Sportograf did this the first time they came to Canberra for the Scott 24 Hr. 3,000 riders, 70,000 photos (including some great ones of very surprised kangaroos).