Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Ultracentric results?

So who won the Ultracentric 24 and 48 races in McKinney this weekend?
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    We won the 24hr 4man race. I didn't know the 24solo winner, but it wasn't who I was expecting. The 48solo winner was that Haas guy.

edit: I wouldn't expect the results to be posted anytime soon, if at all. That was the worst run event I've ever been to and the race director, Robert Tavernini, is a lying pos. We got absolutely nothing for first place...just an "attaboy". We spoke with the owner of the "sponsoring" bike shop, and he had no idea he was a race sponsor. In good faith, the shop owner offered to refund our entry fees....but we declined. Robert had promised $3k worth of cash/swag from said bike shop. This will be Robert Tavernini's last dance in the mtb world and I won't do another ultracentric event until he is replaced as race director.
    Last edited by yater; 11-17-2008 at 08:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

24 Hour Solo winner

The winner of the 24 hour solo was a Florida college student. His first name is Chris and I won't even attempt to butcher the spelling of his last name.

Chris was a pretty impressive young rider, he was keeping pace with our 4 man team for a while. And he won the event without any support.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kstine71
    The winner of the 24 hour solo was a Florida college student. His first name is Chris and I won't even attempt to butcher the spelling of his last name.

Chris was a pretty impressive young rider, he was keeping pace with our 4 man team for a while. And he won the event without any support.
    Chris was an impressive young man, for sure. However, he was sent home without a payout check and a promise of "we'll talk next week". Doubt he'll get it.
    required disclaimer: I'm a bike shop girl.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chainringrrl
    Chris was an impressive young man, for sure. However, he was sent home without a payout check and a promise of "we'll talk next week". Doubt he'll get it.

That's absolutely ridiculous. What excuse did Robert give for not handing him a check? Did he claim that Chris didn't earn it, or did Robert just not have it to give?

(I was the 2nd place solo finisher, missed the "mileage requirement for payout" by 24 miles, partly due to poor promoter communication)

Brian
    -Porkchop

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    That sucks! That's a college kid that drove all the way from Florida for this race. I know the guy was racing a Moots, but I'm sure he could have used the prize money as most students could.

I wonder what the story is with the prize money. Considering the extremely high entry fees, you'd think they could payout as advertised.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What a POS!! That prize money was attractive and I almost booked a flight down at the last minute in hopes of coming home with some. Fortunately, I couldn't quite pull it off at the last minute.
    Does anyone know if there were any women solos or SS solos? If so, who won?
    The combination of super patriotism with piety, used in the service of fear to elicit votes while suppressing equality works, but it is lethal for America......

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ketchd
    Does anyone know if there were any women solos or SS solos? If so, who won?
    There was at least one women solo 24 that I saw. She was pitting next to our tent and there were Colorado plates on their SUV. Didn't catch the name, but I'm pretty sure she won.

mtbr member
    I raced SS solo (men), but they didn't score SS any differently than geared.
    -Porkchop

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Were you the first place SS? If so, then he owes you $3K. Check out:

http://www.ultracentric.net/mountainbike.html

That prize money is for all 24 and 48 hour categories (male, female, SS).
    The combination of super patriotism with piety, used in the service of fear to elicit votes while suppressing equality works, but it is lethal for America......

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Were you the first place SS? If so, then he owes you $3K. Check out:

http://www.ultracentric.net/mountainbike.html

That prize money is for all 24 and 48 hour categories (male, female, SS).
    He was 1st SS solo 24, 2nd 24 solo overall. Had a pretty amazing race.
    But if you'll notice, they made a small change a day or two before the race and attached a minimum mileage to the payouts (big green box halfway down the page).

I agree PBnJ should get paid. If you advertise (and charge huge fees), you should also be held accountable to what you stated day 1 to attract racers to pay these entry fees. The fact that minimum mileage requirements were posted days before the race (I wasn't aware of them until after the fact) is low-down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was just noticing that little last minute BS add-on requirement. It could also be interpreted that if you meet the requirements, then you'd get the $4K (instead of $3K) that it says..... Who knows. What a f'n jack@ss. I'm glad I didn't go down there for the race, cuz I might be behind bars today for kickin' the sh!t out of him.
    PBnJ, great job man! Was there much climbing? How long were the laps? How many did you knock off?

mtbr member
    PBnJ, great job man! Was there much climbing? How long were the laps? How many did you knock off?
    Thanks... There wasn't much climbing, so my 2x1 rigid 69er was just the thing. I took my first break longer than 10 minutes around the 14 hour mark, when I sat down and tried to do some math. By my computer, I would have to keep up the same pace I'd been averaging during the day, all the way to the finish, in order to hit the minimum mileage. My night laps were slower though, so I could tell I wasn't going to hit it. With that knowledge, I did 2 more laps and hit the tent for some rest. I slept for a blissful 4 hours, then got up and did 5 more laps before the 10am finish, for a total on my computer of 22 laps... 150.21 miles.

The problem was, my computer was showing 6.75 miles per lap, but Robert had calculated the "minimum mileage requirement" based on 8 miles per lap. I didn't realize that until after the race. If I had known that when doing my math at midnight, I would have skipped the sleep, and easily gotten the extra 3 laps needed for the $1500 2nd place cash payout (25x8=200).

Like I said, I only consider it partly his error (he should have had a minimum lap number, not mileage amount)... I should have been more on top of it. But honestly, I didn't think I'd be in a position for it to matter, when I started the race. And, apparently the payout was bogus anyway. No more UltraCentric Experience for me, thank you.
    -Porkchop

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chainringrrl
    However, he was sent home without a payout check and a promise of "we'll talk next week"..
    Did you witness this firsthand?

mtbr member
    I spoke with the event photographer, Luis, this morning. He doesn't want to dis Robert yet, but he hasn't received his promised payment yet for flying out from California to take photographs. His name and services weren't plugged on the UC website like they were supposed to be, either. Just a flyer in the registration packet.

Luis seems like a good guy... he says his photos will be ready for viewing/ordering in a day or two, at this website: www.reflectionsphotographystudio.com
    -Porkchop

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PBnJ
    I spoke with the event photographer, Luis, this morning. He doesn't want to dis Robert yet, but he hasn't received his promised payment yet for flying out from California to take photographs. His name and services weren't plugged on the UC website like they were supposed to be, either. Just a flyer in the registration packet.

Luis seems like a good guy... he says his photos will be ready for viewing/ordering in a day or two, at this website: www.reflectionsphotographystudio.com

Aw man, he is a good guy. I'll check out his pics when they're up. I hope he gets paid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was the 12hr Solo Women winner (and only entrant). When they were doing "awards" I had to ask for my medal. I could care less about the award, I just wanted the recognition that I and the others deserve. Likewise, he did not even mention any of the 6hr winners.

I've raced different mtb races in multiple states run by local club organizations thru state organizations and this was the poorest run race that I have ever participated in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    This is ridiculous. Photogs not getting paid, the DJ was worried about not getting paid, the list goes on. Robert also negotiated down the amount that was paid to several of the runners AFTER the awards ceremony. Like someone else posted, some racers were also sent home with the promise of getting their checks later. AND, he's contacted several racers in the last day wanting them to destroy their checks and be issued new ones for a lesser amount. This is after he had the balls to change everyones grouping (lumping the SS racers into their respective gender category) AFTER the races started. I really hope that this all goes public and blows up in his face. It really had the promise to be a great event, but this is really running it into the ground.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone who witnessed any of this first hand, or is waiting to be paid, or is one of those asked to tear up a check, please contact Mark Abramson, the President of USAcycling, and tell him the details. His email is mark@forwardthought.com . Please, no flames...he is here to help. The mtb event was sanctioned by usacycling and he has plenty of pull as President. He is watching these developments closely.

mtbr member
    Nice work, Yater.
    -Porkchop

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yater
    Anyone who witnessed any of this first hand, or is waiting to be paid, or is one of those asked to tear up a check, please contact Mark Abramson, the President of USAcycling, and tell him the details. His email is mark@forwardthought.com . Please, no flames...he is here to help. The mtb event was sanctioned by usacycling and he has plenty of pull as President. He is watching these developments closely.
    Way to go yater. Thanks for digging this out. Hopefully, all will get what they deserve.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I raced in the event as a 48hr soloist. I placed second to Dave Haase who raced a great race and is a class act, thanks for making me suffer in those 30mph headwinds Dave. As an aside, I'm pleased the way things turned out as he deserved the win, there's something to be said about toeing the line next to a 4 x RAAM racer, it makes you realize it's game on.

Overall the event exceeded my expectations, I don't think I've been to a race where there was that much free (and good quality) food (though I ate very little of it), lots of drinks, rider aid, racer nutrition product, entertainment and other such things. It was a big event and with so many categories going on at once I'm sure it was a big production to organize. I've never organized a bike event but I sure it's not a cakewalk and rather than complaining about it I'm just happy and appreciative that there are organizers out there that create opportunities for us to race.

Having said that, I agree that the awards ceremony wasn't the smoothest production I've seen, the payouts were confused and the rider swag wasn't typical of mtb races, some of this is probably still being sorted out. Yup, there were different cultures, hahaha, runners certainly aren't mountain bikers. ;-)

Anyway, I suspect in a few days things will have been resolved one way or another with all parties and once there is better clarity it will be easier to comment. By way of example, I also spoke to Luis (the photographer, who is a cool guy) at the post event and he was still in the process of working out the detail of compensation with the race organization, perhaps in a couple of days that will have been accomplished, who knows? I don't and nobody else does at this point so why not give it a couple of days.

I put a call into Ultra Centric a short while ago to determine the status of certain things and as part of the conversation Robert Tavernini confirmed to me that this morning he had put a call in to the 24hr solo winner out of Florida to confirm details on his cheque and left a msg on his voicemail. During the conversation, I got the official cheque numbers from the Ultra Centric cheques which are written out to the 48hr finalists and also to the 24hr finalist. I did confirm that Florida Chris's cheque is for $3000 and will be going to his Florida address. The cheques have already gone in the US Postal overnight box and perhaps tomorrow I'll be buying my two boys the ice creams I promised them a few weeks ago. I might even eat an ice cream myself.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from doing what they feel is the right path for them but at this point I'd say hold off on representing any of the 48 and 24 payout.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't believe a word Robert says. He lied to me on the phone, he lied to me in emails, and he lied to my face at the check-in table.

He also changed the event flyer the night before the race. He promised us (the winning 24hr 4man team) $500 gift packages from richardson bike mart. These prizes were later (on race day) allocated to categories which didn't exist. Jim Hoyt, owner of Richarson bike mart, was not aware of these "packages". Robert Tavernini is a pretty smooth con man. Here is the event flyer. Look closely at the "money categories" (24hr 6man and 48hr 4man) and then look at the race categories (hint....the "money" categories don't exist). These changes to the flyer were made within days of the race. Tell us what you think....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Understood Yater, I'm not here to defend all of the things that went on I just wanted to post up my experience of the event and at the very least update everyone on the 24/48hr payout piece. I'm not here to speak on behalf of Ultra Centric, Richardson Bike Mart or whoever, I'm just me, speaking my mind.

Like I said, things could have been smoother. I also think anyone who has a beef (photographer, DJ or whoever) should take that up once it's obvious there is an unfair practice in place.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by staylor
    Understood Yater, I'm not here to defend all of the things that went on I just wanted to post up my experience of the event and at the very least update everyone on the 24/48hr payout piece. I'm not here to speak on behalf of Ultra Centric, Richardson Bike Mart or whoever, I'm just me, speaking my mind.

Like I said, things could have been smoother. I also think anyone who has a beef (photographer, DJ or whoever) should take that up once it's obvious there is an unfair practice in place.

Good work on the 48solo. You're the man.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast