Thread: True Grit Epic

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

True Grit Epic

Hardtail or full suspension?
    Also, how does it compare to other races in the series? Most like or unlike what other race?
    I'm on the east coast and have raced SM 100, W 101, Cohutta and know Fool's Gold but am thinking of True Grit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have done this race since it's first year, I think 3 times although my memory isn't that good. It is a good race, although my primary reason for going year after year, travelling 7 hours from Colorado is in general that part of Utah makes for an awesome long weekend with the wife and kids. We stay in Springdale and love it. I have raced on a SS hardtail everyyear, and like any other race that I have done on this bike at the end of it my feet and hands hurt but hey that's why you do it right? As far as the course in my opinion the only portion that you would be able to be a little more effective would be the short Zen trail portion. This 5-7 mile stretch of trail is techniccal with big rock up and downs that on a hard tail are a bit hairy and with a FS you could do better on. That said I am sure there were guys and gals out there on full rigids that were crushing techincal sections that I walked Long story short 90 percent of this course is awesome hardtrail riding with 10 percent being a little more FS riding, so make the call. Enjoy

mtbr member
    I did it last year on a hardtail and was really regretting it about 2/3 of the way through. This year I'll be doing it on a Salsa Spearfish. Just enough travel to save my back from the punishment.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've done the 50 and the 100 both on a hard tail. There are sections that would be a lot nicer on a full-squish, but there is a lot of trail where you can motor on a hard tail.

It doesn't really compare with much out east (FYI, of your list, I've only done fool's gold)- it's desert riding... some slick rock, some ledgy bits, step-ups/downs. dry arroyos...

It's a great course.

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    50 is good on a hard tail but the fatigue saving of the FS is worth it for the 100.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    What about thorns? Are they an issue? Is there a preferred sealant choice? A few of us from Toronto are in - a typical for our riding is a Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph type with Stans.
    Thanks - looking forward to some warmer riding

mtbr member
    There are plenty of cactus spines so sealant is definitely recommended. I used Racing Ralphs setup tubeless last year and will run them again.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002maniac View Post
    There are plenty of cactus spines so sealant is definitely recommended. I used Racing Ralphs setup tubeless last year and will run them again.

Thanks Maniac...see you there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    What about thorns? Are they an issue? Is there a preferred sealant choice? A few of us from Toronto are in - a typical for our riding is a Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph type with Stans.
    Thanks - looking forward to some warmer riding
    I'd run the Snake Skin Racing Ralphs. I got three sidewall cuts in a 1.5 hour race at the same location a few years ago.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Just did the 100 (85 miles actually) riding on a pretty light 140mm 29er. At no point did I find myself wising for my hardtail. This race would be fun on any bike, but as long as you have the suspension set up well, I think it is likely more fun, and possibly faster on a full suspension bike.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I did the 50 on a hardtail 29 but for the trails that True Grit uses like Barrel and Zen a FS sure would have been nice.

Anybody know the guy who was on a Surly fatbike? Wearing sandals? Crazy.

From this blog:
    "I was going through a bad spot, loosing time and got passed by a single speed rider on a Surly fat bike that looked like it floated over every damn rock out there that I was hitting. And he was wearing sandals. I almost lost my mind.
    "