mtbr member

Transrockies vs BC Bike Race

I'm planning to hit one of these next year so I'm wondering if anybody has done both and can provide some feedback. (It may seem a little early but I want to have my decision made & budget in place as soon as registration opens!). I'm leaning towards the BC Bike race at this point simply for the logistics - tent camping every night with the meal plan appears to be much easier than the Transrockies where you have to shuttle around town & find lodging for the first half, no "camping portion only" meal plan (it doesn't make sense to me to pay for a meal plan while you're staying in town) and no direct transfer option to Calgary upon finishing the race. My first priority is the quality of the riding though! Any & all feedback appreciated, even if you've only raced one of the two.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

Category Winner
    Eeesh. I haven't done TR since 2006. Didn't know they got rid of the camping for the first half of the week. Both races have their logistical challenges, but the fewer the better.

IMHO: TR was more "epic" in nature. Bigger days with an emphasis on the challenge of just doing it. BCBR was a much better trail experience, by far.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm a TR employee so I'll let other folks comment on their personal experiences. However I will answer a few things:
    1) We do offer a post race shuttle through Banff Airporter direct from Canmore to YYC. We're working on discounted TR rate that will be posted on the page below soon. Transfers » The TransRockies Challenge: July 27 - August 2, 2013
    2) While it is true that there is no camping in Fernie (stages 1-3) it's a short walk or ride to the start each day. If you need a ride we will be happy to hook you up.
    3) We have meal plans for each leg (TR3, TR4 and TR7). It is not included in your entry so you don't have to pay for meals while staying in a hotel in Fernie.

Feel free to call or email anytime with questions!
    Jonathan
    403-454-6577
    jonathan@tranrockies.com

mtbr member
    Jonathan, thanks for the correction on the meal plan, that makes a lot more sense! I was just going by what the website currently had listed for transfers, so I'll check back for updates on the Calgary option from the finish. I'll very likely do both (one next yea, one the following)
    Last edited by fueledbymetal; 04-05-2013 at 05:10 AM.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Eeesh. I haven't done TR since 2006. Didn't know they got rid of the camping for the first half of the week. Both races have their logistical challenges, but the fewer the better.

IMHO: TR was more "epic" in nature. Bigger days with an emphasis on the challenge of just doing it. BCBR was a much better trail experience, by far.
    Thanks! Is the weather, especially rain, significantly different between the two?
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
    Thanks! Is the weather, especially rain, significantly different between the two?
    It's always a crap shoot up there, but I've only had one really rainy day in two TR's.

Not a drop at BCBR.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I volunteered for the '06 TR7 I've raced a couple of TR3's and one TR7 since then. Staying in Fernie for the first 3 days really simplifies the logistics and keeps you on the single track. The guys I've talked to say what teamdicky said, longer harder days at the TR7 but not as hard as they used to be and better trails and shorter days on the bike in BC. Doing the BC Race for sure, probably 2014.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

Grip it and rip it.
    I had that decision to make last year, I chose TR4 just because it was way cheaper than BCBR and I couldn't see a good reason why BCBR was so much more expensive. The TR7 was also considerably cheaper from what I remember. I had a really good time doing the TR4 though and recommend it!
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have done the TR3 and its fun. Depending on where you are from there is lots of climbing. Most days where 30 km(19 miles) and climbing was between 1400 and 2000 meters of climbing. 4000 to 6500 feet. The trails are now almost all single or doubler rack. There really isn't much road. TR3 also stays the entire time in Fernie so you can sleep in a bed every night. Have fun choosing. I know I will be doing the BC Bike Race when my son is a little older. The traveling ever night gets old for my wife.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Also there is a racer from Calgary who has a blog. I think it's biking bakke and if you search it there is lots of posts from a guy who has done most of the stage races you can.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    The TransRockies trails are more double track and fire road. BCBR has more singletrack. I haven't done the races so can't speak to them. Just ridden almost all the trails at some point or the other
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Thanks all!
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS