mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Trans Rockies tire choice

I'll apologize in advance because I know this has been discussed but I'm still looking for input.

I'm doing my first mtb stage race this year - the Trans Rockies - and I'm trying to decide on a tire set up.

I've decided on either the Shwalbe Rocket Ron (RoRo) or the Racing Ralph (RaRa). I've been running the RoRo 2.25 up front and the RaRa 2.1 on back all season so far.

So here's the dilehma

The RoRo have better traction and are 200gms/tire lighter

The RaRa have lower rolling resistance (by 5W).

For a race like the Trans Rockies where conditions will be variable, trails will be variable, lots of up, and lots of down, lots of rolling, and lots of technical what would you go with:

RoRo for grip up front and RaRa for less rolling resistance on back

RaRa all around for lowest possible rolling resistance, but added 200-400g and questionable traction on loose and in wet conditions.

RoRo for weight (400 g over RaRa front and back) and much better grip, but more rolling resistance.

I really can't decide.... your input is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Id go with a set of Continental Race Kings, setup tubeless.
    The way we ride today shapes mountain bike trail access tomorrow. -IMBA

Karma Vampire

Trans Rockies tire choice

If you are set on the Racing Ralph or Rocket Ron, my suggestion is to get them with the SnakeSkin option. It might make for a heavy tire but it will give you a fighting chance against cut sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Don't know about the Rockies since I live in the Alps. 100% of my flats a sidewall related. I run all my tires tubless.

+1 on the Conti RK. However, sidewalls are quite exposed. Protection version may be the more sensible choice if you're not after the podium.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Personally I'd go with what you are used to. I live in the Rockies and run RaRa front and back (but have friends who run RoRo) with no problems but as recommended by another poster I'd use the Snakeskin or Double Defense for the extra sidewall protection. This is especially true if you are doing the TR7 or TR 4 where trails are more remote and generally rockier than the first 3 days in Fernie. Light is great but not if its gets flats and quite a bit if the trails are true backcountry riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This is great feedback, thanks all.

I like the RaRa and RoRo so do intend to stick with that, plus I have a small stock pile of both. I've been riding them all year and haven't had issues with sidewall tears including riding in the rockies in Banff, Canmore and LL areas... yet. I will be using the snakeskin version running tubeless and carry tire boots just in case.