Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Harmonius Wrench

This could be a fun poll

Quote Originally Posted by dmsigurdur
    ...................In my opinion only 20 max will finish.I'm not sure about the details like why the high dnf rate but it will happen.
    It's going to be a hoot.......................

Dallas Sigurdur
    Okay, anybody else want to venture a guess as to the number of finishers this year?

I'll go with 12.

Less if the weather is a factor.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Training began 7 weeks ago. See ya'll in Iowa.

Eddie O

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Okay, anybody else want to venture a guess as to the number of finishers this year?
    I say regardless of the conditions, there will still be around 10 or so people to finish. 330 miles IMO is a good kick in the package. Anyone that can churn out that amount of mileage in a 24 hour period has nuts of steel.

Watts Up?

How's titanium?

Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    I say regardless of the conditions, there will still be around 10 or so people to finish. 330 miles IMO is a good kick in the package. Anyone that can churn out that amount of mileage in a 24 hour period has nuts of steel.
    Will titanium nuts work? I'll try to keep 'em in my package near my junk. Still wouldn't like being kicked there

Happy New Year to all.
    RideOn!

JB

l Love2Ride and Ushould2!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbspinnen'

Will titanium nuts work? I'll try to keep 'em in my package near my junk. Still wouldn't like being kicked there

Happy New Year to all.
    Just be sure to use some anti-sieze. Nothing worse than siezed nuts.

As for my take on the ride, I think weather will be the factor. If there is a fierce head or cross wind the dropout rate will be as high as is being suggested. If there is a fierce tail wind I think just about everyone can finish (50+ of the 70). If there is no wind at all I would guess 30+ finish.

I think people are taking this more seriously this year than last year. People know what to expect, and the people who were attracted to this this year are attracted <i>because</i> of the high dropout rate last year. I started training in late November before I knew whether I would even be going. Many others did the same.

The last season I spent 3+ hours on a trainer in December? <b>Never</b>. There simply aren't any other events this early in the year to prepare for. If I hadn't made it into this race I would have shut training down and started up again in February to prepare for races in June. Point is, I think most people simply aren't normally ready for a major event like this in April. Knowing it will be difficult people are changing their training schedules to be ready in April. So I am guessing last year was the outlier, and that future runnings of this race are going to see much higher finishing rates.

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by Morlahach
    There simply aren't any other events this early in the year to prepare for.....
    Don't forget about us southern folk. We can race year round if Florida is accessible, the XC season just wrapped up two weeks ago. I typically start racing in Jan, but reserve my major goals for early June and beyond. With Granny Gear coming to town (Conyers) in Mid May, the TI is going to be a perfect set up race. Bring on the nasty weather and rough roads!

Anyone else heading up from the south? Anyone wanting to carpool?

Eddie O

Watts Up?

Vive' le South

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie O
    Don't forget about us southern folk. We can race year round if Florida is accessible, the XC season just wrapped up two weeks ago. I typically start racing in Jan, but reserve my major goals for early June and beyond. With Granny Gear coming to town (Conyers) in Mid May, the TI is going to be a perfect set up race. Bring on the nasty weather and rough roads!

Anyone else heading up from the south? Anyone wanting to carpool?

Eddie O
    I'm headed up from Va Beach. Sorta south. You'll probably be heading up by a more southerly route. It looks like a good 2 day drive, so thinking of probably leaving Wednesday sometime, maybe in the afternoon. I signed up for the shuttle from Decorah cycles which leaves I guess around 2 on Friday. And yep, Florida has all kinds of stuff going on early in the year.
    RideOn!

JB

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    JB - just a suggestion on your route. Instead of staying on I-70 into PA take I-68 in MD to Morgantown WV, then I-79 north. Way better roads, no tolls, way less traffic, and quicker. I have made that trip that way a bunch of times for RAGBRAI, and would also suggest jumping back on I-70 in Washington PA and taking it to Indy, then take I-74 up and you can catch I-39 north at Normal IL, or stay on I-74 into IA, jump to I-80 and head up to CR on I-380. Get a good map of IA and pick your route from CR to Decorah, they have really excellent roads which can save you loads of time from driving into WI. Unless you really want to go there..

Scott
    Last edited by MDCDale; 01-03-2006 at 11:43 AM.

Watts Up?

Good job! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MDCDale
    JB - just a suggestion on your route. Instead of staying on I-70 into PA take I-68 in MD to Morgantown WV, then I-79 north. Way better roads, no tolls, way less traffic, and quicker. I have made that trip that way a bunch of times for RAGBRAI, and would also suggest jumping back on I-70 in Washington PA and taking it to Indy, then take I-74 up and you can catch I-39 north at Normal IL, or stay on I-74 into IA, jump to I-80 and head up to CR on I-380. Get a good map of IA and pick your route from CR to Decorah, they have really excellent roads which can save you loads of time from driving into WI. Unless you really want to go there..

Scott
    Thanks for the input. I was wondering about that route. The map of the route pictures was spit out by MS Streets and Trips.

Again, thanks, Appeciate it.
    RideOn!

JB

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Some pics for you out of staters from central Iowa

I took a few pics while on my ride this past Monday. You should hope for better conditions in April! It could be even worse though so start praying!

This picture shows the peanut butter consistency of the gravel. Very sticky stuff!

Here is one large hill for Iowa. It is dropping into the Des Moines River Valley.

I hope you enjoy!

Paul
    Last edited by paulclimb510; 01-04-2006 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Typo

Hup, Hup
    Quote Originally Posted by paulclimb510
    I took a few pics while on my ride this past Monday. You should hope for better conditions in April! It could be even worse though so start praying!

This picture shows the peanut butter consistency of the gravel. Very sticky stuff!

Here is one large hill for Iowa. It is dropping into the Des Moines River Valley.

I hope you enjoy!

Paul
    Nice pics Paul. Helps to show that Iowa is NOT flat by any means.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Scalpel Team
    '07 Cannondale SystemSix Team

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

appreciated

Thanks for the pictures (everyone).It sure helps me mentally prepare for this thing if I have an inkling of what I'm riding through.The only time I can recall being in Iowa was with some guys (PaddyH included ) going to indiapolis for a cross race.We came through Iowa in the middle of the night and it was down right scary.These pictures make me want to pull over to a farmers house ,eat a home cooked meal and fool around with his hot daughter.Oh and then get back on my bike and finish just under the cut off.
    Damn I think I love iowa now.
    viva la iowa
    Dallas

Dr. Frost

You know, Iowa is a neat place

Damn I think I love iowa now.
    viva la iowa
    Dallas
    It really is a neat place and that's coming from an Illinois guy too. But what you really have to do is to keep asking "Is this heaven?" to everybody you meet.

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

Dallas

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_Jitsu
    dmsigurdur,

If you can keep Paddy in sight for all 330 miles, you are a Man of Iron! And you will likely be a top-10 finisher... Listening to that laughter would be a badge of honor!

I know all to well how fast paddy can go as I've raced him for 7/8 years now and came up short 99.999% of the times.In fact the only times I seem to remember beating him were way back when he first started .
    As for a top 10 finish,I don't care but I will tell you this.In my opinion only 20 max will finish.I'm not sure about the details like why the high dnf rate but it will happen.
    It's going to be a hoot.
    What are you bike racing anyways?
    Dallas Sigurdur

on the other side of this, Dallas is the reason I don't do a lot of competitve running events..as he's a freakin' jackrabbit!!!(and I like my record against him, hehehe) I think my only running glories against him have come in cyclo-cross races...and man! I relish those!

The dude's a machine regardless, I think he's doing a snowshoe marathon in Duluth later this month....sick
    Last edited by PaddyH; 01-04-2006 at 08:57 PM.

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

Question(s)

This is directed more at Jeff K. & G-Ted/Mark...this is info that maybe could be put up on the T-I V2 site

Just curious as to where all the registered racers are from? Who was the original "Rogue Seven"?(as Dallas is threathening to make shirts for them) Who has innies? Who has outies?...that sort of stuff...
    Last edited by PaddyH; 01-04-2006 at 09:01 PM.

Harmonius Wrench

Stuff of Legends

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyH
    This is directed more at Jeff K. & G-Ted/Mark...this is info that maybe could be put up on the T-I V2 site

Just curious as to where all the registered racers are from? Who was the original "Rogue Seven"?(as Dallas is threathening to make shirts for them) Who has innies? Who has outies?...that sort of stuff...
    The home towns of all the registered reacers could be done easily enough I think. That was something that I'd actually thought of, and was going to ask Jeff to do, but it slipped my mind. Thanks for bringing that back up!

The "Rogue Seven", now............that's a different story altogether! The details of that little mess are not going to be told by either Jeff, nor I. (Thanks alot, Active.com! )

Somethings are better left to speculation and "tall tale telling"

Some of you guys have most of it pieced together anyway. I'll just let it go at that!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

Who and Where.

Chris hansen MI
    Brian Dukek MN
    Matt Wills NE
    Gary Cale MI
    James McGuire IA
    Scott Cave MN
    dallas sigurdur Canada
    patrick humenny Canada
    Mike Curiak CO
    Steve Harjula Canada
    Jeff Avey NE
    Russell Tjiessen
    Samuel Rosenau NE
    Mike Meister MT
    Skip Cronin NE
    Corey Godfrey NE
    Kevin Aspegren OH
    Brent Hauser IA
    Dave Simmons ND
    Paul Jacobson IA
    John Blaszczak VA
    Stephen Geering IA
    Larry Manuel Canada
    Steven Cannon IA
    Matthew Maxwell IA
    Kevin Daum OH
    Chris Brunsvold WA
    Mark Glaspie KS
    Todd Eschweiler IA
    Sarah OBrien IA
    John Kelly WY
    James Garton WI
    Greg Schenck IA
    Bill Dietrich MN
    Doug Zickuhr IA
    David Pals IA
    Edward O'Dea GA
    Steve McGuire IA
    Marcin Nowak WI
    Ward Budwig IA
    Joe Partridge MI
    Robin Bennett IA
    Chuck Hilsenbeck Jr. IA
    Brett Davis OH
    joel dyke MO
    Mark Norfleet MI
    Scott Campbell IA
    Joe Frost IL
    Kevin Ehrlich IL
    Nick Martin IA
    cully todd IA
    Daryl Bernard MI
    Emily Brodersen NE
    Ben Garrett IA
    Greg Hansen MO
    David Mable IA
    Lance Andre IA
    Michael Beck CO
    Brian Eppen IA
    David Norris NE
    Fred Wilkinson UT
    Dave Vander Horst IA
    ROB PENNELL KS
    Nate King MO
    bruce nelson IA
    Brad Mihm IA
    Martin Borske IA
    Jordan Carr CO
    Dan Fuhrmann MO

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

RACER HOUSING & PRE RACE

For those who are interested in racer host housing, make sure you have your request to me by Sunday, January 15th.

Also note, that the pre-race meeting will be at the PIZZA RANCH in Hawarden on Friday the 28th at 6:00 PM. This is where we will hand out racer bags, number plates, and cue sheets. This will also give riders a chance to meet and chill out. There will also be copious amounts of food. Think of it as carbo-loading Iowa style!

Watts Up?

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Frappr Mappr Crappr

Better yet, if you're a registered racer go here and add yourself to the TransIowa V2 Frappr map. Put a lil' photo up with your name and we can have a rolling slideshow on the TI site.

Oh yeah------- I have an inny

The first 10 after me get a free post race beer.
    Last edited by johnbspinnen'; 01-05-2006 at 12:07 PM. Reason: bellybutton/bribe
    RideOn!

JB

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    Frapped!

Eddie O

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

canadian in the house

Hey I just noticed that there is another canuck in the mix ,so Larry buddy where are you from?
    Dallas
    Oh and I just ordered my bontrager switchblade for for the 29er,party down ! And yes it's specifically for the grind.

Watts Up?

Cool-blue Rhythm Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie O
    Frapped!

Eddie O
    CHeck the banner thing

That scrolling banner thing works nice, but somehow Eddie O isn't in it. Wassup wit dat?
    RideOn!

JB

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I just Frappr'd in my pants!
    I think I see Frappr running down my leg.

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

oh, the smell...

Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    I just Frappr'd in my pants!
    I think I see Frappr running down my leg.
    uh ya, and it smells like semi digested pasta and Elete...gross!!!!

I'm up too.
    Last edited by PaddyH; 01-05-2006 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

get to work punks

Hey don't you kids have some bikes to sell to cheap customers that have multiple coupons and know somebody who use to work there and he gave them a deal that was practically (if not ) free?
    Paddy are you using your new cordless keyboard so you can bike on the trainer and chat at the same time.
    I kidd,no really... I kidd
    Dallas "abunch more days and counting" Sigurdur

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

get wit da program

Hey don't you kids have some bikes to sell to cheap customers that have multiple coupons and know somebody who use to work there and he gave them a deal that was practically (if not ) free?
    Paddy are you using your new cordless keyboard so you can bike on the trainer and chat at the same time.
    I kidd,no really... I kidd
    Dallas "abunch more days and counting" Sigurdur

Doode! Why would I need a cordless keyboard when I'm "not" training?

and it's "double-off-coupon-day" at the shop....NOT! but I'm at home eating chips, either way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Fellow Canuck check-in

[QUOTE=dmsigurdur]Hey I just noticed that there is another canuck in the mix ,so Larry buddy where are you from?

I'm in Kingston, Ont. About me: I'm prety old [errr... 48], and bought a Ute from Matt Chester in 2000. Now, I've switched over to 700c, skinny tires. Surly Steamroller. Fixed, eh? I'll be riding on Team Tortoise, with Mark Norfleet, of Michigan, He's on a 700c Matt Chester. I think it's nearly 68 cm. I'm small, riding a 62 cm.

As Mark says, it should be a nice, long ride.

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

sweet

[QUOTE=Larry Manuel]
    Hey I just noticed that there is another canuck in the mix ,so Larry buddy where are you from?

I'm in Kingston, Ont. About me: I'm prety old [errr... 48], and bought a Ute from Matt Chester in 2000. Now, I've switched over to 700c, skinny tires. Surly Steamroller. Fixed, eh? I'll be riding on Team Tortoise, with Mark Norfleet, of Michigan, He's on a 700c Matt Chester. I think it's nearly 68 cm. I'm small, riding a 62 cm.

that makes at least two(of us)Canucks on fixed Steamrollers now..though mine is tiny at 53cm...and yes it will be a nice ride, for sure!

Dr. Frost

Now about those steamrollers...

that makes at least two(of us)Canucks on fixed Steamrollers now..though mine is tiny at 53cm...and yes it will be a nice ride, for sure!

You guys serious about riding steamrollers all the way across? 38c max tire and all? One thing is for sure, that flat crown fork will be the best looking fork in the race.

Harmonius Wrench

Flat Crown Forks.....ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy
    You guys serious about riding steamrollers all the way across? 38c max tire and all? One thing is for sure, that flat crown fork will be the best looking fork in the race.
    You're right......ow!......those flat crown....ouch!.....forks are......yikes!.....just beautiful!

..........anybody know a good nuero-surgeon?
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy
    What did the winner of last year's race run? I believe I heard he ran very skinny tires, on the order of 38 mm.

IMHO, the skinniest tire you can run without shaking you so bad that you give up and quit the race is the way to go. The question is where that point is for each rider. One rider might do just fine with 38 mm tires and win the race on them. Another rider might quit after 50 miles on the same tires. They might both have the same degree of fitness, but one person may simply deal better with the discomfort.

The other issue may be how confident you are descending in the dark on skinny tires. If you hit a patch of loose gravel at speed on skinny tires your results may be quite different than if you were on fat ones.

I guess I would just suggest that everyone try out their rigs on a decent length ride on gravel to see if it agrees with them or not.

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

Serious...as a heartattack.

"You guys serious about riding steamrollers all the way across? 38c max tire and all? One thing is for sure, that flat crown fork will be the best looking fork in the race."

my Steamer is a bit more hopped up, than most, as it was my 'cross rig (fixed, w/only a set of cantis on the front) for the past 2005 Cx season here in Mb and MN(Dallas can give you the details, otherwise you'll see it in April)
    -the only modifications it'll have for V2 is a bottle cage and a compy...and I guess my h-bar map holder...

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004
    "You guys serious about riding steamrollers all the way across? 38c max tire and all? One thing is for sure, that flat crown fork will be the best looking fork in the race."

my Steamer is a bit more hopped up, than most, as it was my 'cross rig (fixed, w/only a set of cantis on the front) for the past 2005 Cx season here in Mb and MN(Dallas can give you the details, otherwise you'll see it in April)
    -the only modifications it'll have for V2 is a bottle cage and a compy...and I guess my h-bar map holder...

and I guess some blinky's too...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

The last 30 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Jitsu
    Yes, Virginia, there are hills in Iowa. AND THEY WILL BREAK YOU! If you are racing Trans-Iowa on a singlespeed, the last 30 miles will test you like nothing else. You will think that you are a hard man after getting 300 miles under your belt. My friend, I am here to tell you that the race has just begun at mile 300...

You don't have to be on a SS to have the last 30 miles test you, nor travel 300 miles.
    I followed the TI route 130 miles from Forest City to Decorah on an ideal day last October. Felt fine in Cresco and was ready to puke by the time I reached Decorah. If I had any sense at all, I would not be trying this again. So much for a sound mind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

proudly canadian

[QUOTE=Larry Manuel]

Right on Larry looking forward to meeting you and all these crazy americans.
    Let me get this staight though ,canadas population is 10 and 5 of us are going to TI2?
    Sweet
    Dallas

Hup, Hup
    Considering the amount of posts that Paddy and Dallas have in the T.I. forum...it's no surprise to me that they are not out training.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cbuchanan
    Considering the amount of posts that Paddy and Dallas have in the T.I. forum...it's no surprise to me that they are not out training.
    ouch!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Wink posse up

The canadian posse and I are actually heading to Iowa the first week of march to preride your entire state.That way we'll know all the roads and there will be no surprises.
    Actually I am going about this race like my mentor Jan would do.Eat ,drink ,party down in my audi (which I don't own ) then start to ride right before the race and end up between 2nd and 4th.
    Dallas "I don't want to be timed out " Sigurdur

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

farfignugen

actually, I think your chubby buddy Mr Ullrich has a 911...

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

Stuff Sacks...

Looks like Therm-a-Rest is going to be the way we are going to go for stuff sacks. Size has not been decided yet, but your input from earlier posts have helped us make a decision. There will be more info coming later.
    You can click here to get a good idea what you will be using.

Also, keep in mind the pre-race meeting will be the Friday night before the race at shortly after 6 PM. It will be on the main drag in Hawarden at the Pizza Ranch. I have set aside a room for the Trans-Iowa V2 racers and their drivers. There will be plenty of food! The owner is swinging us a deal for the buffet which will run $7.50. It will include pizza, salad, chicken, pasta, and a bunch of other stuff.

Any other questions?

Hup, Hup
    ouch!
    Sorry Paddy, I may have been a tad harsh with that one.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross

mtbr member

As long as we're calculating ...

Quote Originally Posted by Morlahach
    Ted has a good point.

As Susan Notorangelo of RAAM fame says "going is faster than stopping". If you stop for a measly 5 minutes for every hour on of the bike your average speed on the bike has to be higher by 8.3% (5 minutes is 1/12 of an hour, or 8.3%). So, easy numbers, if you can maintain 20 mph without stopping it is as good as if can hold 21.7 mph and need a break of 5 minutes every 60.
    If you stop for 50% of the time you need to increase your speed 100%, so that leads to ---
    If you stop 8.3% of the time you need to increase your speed 9.1%

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jbkr54
    You don't have to be on a SS to have the last 30 miles test you, nor travel 300 miles.
    I followed the TI route 130 miles from Forest City to Decorah on an ideal day last October. Felt fine in Cresco and was ready to puke by the time I reached Decorah. If I had any sense at all, I would not be trying this again. So much for a sound mind.
    So much for a sound mind.

Jim, it is good that you are finally starting to accept something we have always known!

Watts Up?

FarfigWHAT?

actually, I think your chubby buddy Mr Ullrich has a 911...
    I like this picture of Jan from the late 90's I think,

Jan is da man
    I'm not fat, just big boned.
    RideOn!

JB

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you stop for 50% of the time you need to increase your speed 100%, so that leads to ---
    If you stop 8.3% of the time you need to increase your speed 9.1%

Sounds complicated, all that math - I think I'll just keep riding - never stop!!!

49 and sunny, time to go ride!

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

What's that sound?

Jan is da man

Damn dude, You just made Dallas cry...
    nice

Hup, Hup

Jan is da man

Look at my belly!! I am so sexy!!!
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

Wahoo!

Wahoo! The snow is almost gone. More pictures posted here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So what are all you guys doing for cross training? As for me im doing what every good Canadian boy should be doin, playin 7-10 hours of pond hockey a week.

GO RED WINGS!!

Hup, Hup
    Quote Originally Posted by russell_thiessen
    playin 7-10 hours of pond hockey a week.

GO RED WINGS!!

That's what I like to hear!!!

but I am a Stars fan, lifetime.
    '06 Cannondale Cross
    '08 Cannondale Cross

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0