mtbr member
    May 2008

Training Tips for short night rides

I have an adventure race coming up that I'm training to get shape for. My training time is limited and I've only been consistently getting out for 60-90 minute night rights. I usually take my SS out but don't get as good of a workout at night because of having to reduce speed with the limited vision. I'm thinking about filling camelbak with weight to make things a bit tougher but I'm not sure how effective that will be. Any training tips at night?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    not to be too much of a smart ass but lights help. With a quality setup (and there are many) you should have little/no need to go slower.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What lights do you have? I can go just as fast on double track at night but not tight twisty single track

Happy Trails
    I'm running a 108 gram Exposure Diablo Mk4 with ~ 500 lumens (3 hour MEDIUM rate) on my helmet, and 232 gram Exposure Toro Mk3 on my bar (rated for about 1000 lumens for 2 hours on HIGH) and my regular Thursday night ~1 hour, 10 mile time trials. I'm averaging about 8-10 minutes slower than my daytime loops. But yeah, it's good training. Exposures are damn fine lights, but lumens to weight ratio slightly limited by internal batteries (though there are also some advantages to no cables....).

The other factor: A big crash late at night, solo in the desert would be a major bummer... and I think this slows me down a little also ... but I get really focused on finding right lines.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That sounds like a nice setup Scott. I'll check those out for my bars, I'm a little dated but the stuff is still working so...

I'm running a Seca 750 (? or somewhere around there) on my helmet and a two dinottes (600 and a 200) on my bars. The 600 has a fairly wide cast pointed about 20-ish yards up and the 200 is setup for a wide beam pointed maybe 5 yards up.

To your point, I may be a hair slower but nothing notable as I still get in plenty of LT & AT work. Most importantly I'm riding trails I'm pretty familiar with so I should probably check myself a bit. I do feel confident that I can ride unfamiliar terrain with this setup but truth be told I haven't been 'splorin at night in a while

Feral Roadie
    If you're going fast enough UPHILL to out run your lights, then you don't need any advice from me. But you get ZERO[1] training effect from going downhill at night.

By far and away uphill speed wins races. Ride up hills... Walk down them if you have to in training, you'll lose nothing. Even the crappiest light will work for climbing speeds.

Now to be fair, I have big bright lights. But that is for enjoyment, not training. You don't need that much light to go up, but it's way more fun to go down with good lights.

Lights are like suspension, when you need it, you need it, but it's mostly about going "funner" than faster.

- Booker C. Bense

[1]- Not entirely, but I hope you get my point.