New MTB XC Racer

Training on a Recumbent

Planning on training a lot this winter on the rollers.
    As most know it starts to get hard to do more than 1.5-2 hrs inside on the rollers.

I was wondering how much benefit doing some longer 2-6 hr days on a recumbent bike would benefit for the LONG days of training.

I have heard that you use some different muscles in the more laid back position so wondering on positive/negative effects of doing some longer sessions in a more laid back position(plus your upper body doesn't do any work on a nice comfy recumbent seat )

Thoughts ???

note - I am set up to do training in the snow with studs and wider rims/tires etc, but a bit time crunched this winter. Getting too and from the trailhead plus extra bike maintenance is time consuming and the drivers around here are awful even on sunny days never mind snowy wintery days
    I still may do one longer ride a week outside on the trails as it would only be once a week.

Cheers,
    Paul

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    recumbent on the rollers?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Wait. I am assuming that you ride a regular bike. Why do you want to use a recumbent for indoor training if they use different muscles than your regular bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Could you possibly come up with a more awkward way to ruin a great concept? Where is rube Goldberg when we need him!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LowOnO2 View Post
    Wait. I am assuming that you ride a regular bike. Why do you want to use a recumbent for indoor training if they use different muscles than your regular bike?
    Yup. If you want to get better at riding a regular bike, ride a regular bike. Now, if you have a recumbent around, and can't make yourself ride the regular bike, then riding the recumbent is prolly better than sitting on the couch eating cheetos.

Am I a bad person if I watched that video all the way to the end just to see if the guy crashed?

AZ
    banned
    Train like you race, race like you train.

New MTB XC Racer
    I was just curious as I like to do 24 hr solo races plus a few all day races but training long hours on the rollers seems like torture.
    Lots of snow here in my area and the drivers are pretty bad on a nice summer day so was hoping to keep it indoors.
    Unfortunately not training for RAAM on a recumbent.
    I have a LWB recumbent and a SWB recumbent that I don't use much but the seats are super comfy
    Would be fairly easy to stretch rollers for the longer wheelbase, but probably not a project I will ever do ...

Thanks for the replies guys
    cheers,
    Paul

New MTB XC Racer
    I never thought about it being hard but now I am curious if I can do it... I am pretty good on the rollers and can eat, drink or stretch a bit no hands .....
    Cheers,
    Paul

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I mean, if it helps you pass the time, and you work up a sweat, why NOT watch a Three Stooges marathon for 6 or 8 hours while you ride the recumbent?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have been riding for years, but just decided to race for the first time next season. I was riding a few times a week on the trails until it started getting dark early. The only thing I had at home to train on was a recumbent stationary bike. I have been doing interval training on it and have noticed I have much more endurance and power on the trails. I am not saying it is as ideal as training on an upright, just saying if it keeps you happy while training, it is better than getting burned out from riding something you dread. BTW. I have also been doing very low weight, high rep upper body exercises to keep my upper body on track also.
    Last edited by projectcrawler; 01-16-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: forgot some info