1izalluneed
    Sep 2004

Training load post injury

About 7 weeks ago I felt a sharp pain in my quad on a steep climb. The next day my whole knee above, medial and lateral and behind the knee were swollen. MRI showed a partial tear in the vastus lateralus quadricep and of course knee effussion. Swelling is still significant after 7 weeks of rest, I have been doing some very mild physical therapy and hopefully will be riding again in a few weeks or as soon as swelling has diminished somewhat. I am aware to only increase training time by about 10% per week but am curious on how much training time to start with. Prior to injury I was riding about 8 hrs per week with a lot of climbing. I will have to start out with easy spinning (obviously) but can I start back at 5 to six hours per week and work back up from there? We really do not have cycling specific orthos in my town, more team sports oriented. Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Training load post injury

Letting some random person tell you how to recover from a cycling injury? Sounds risky to me, but I guess you're feeling brave.
    My garage is a revolving door of bikes, wheelsets, & frames
    www.mtbdeals.com

Fat-tired Roadie
    I worked up from an hour and a half per week, after a knee injury that didn't even require surgery.

10%/week is an exponential progression. Those first weeks of half hour and 35-minute rides feel kind of silly, but it's surprising how quickly it builds back up to a "normal" volume.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not the answer and specfics you probably want but some random advice.

Like said above you have to make the decsion on this.

I had Knee Surgery last August early, did not get back on bike again for 7 weeks, that was after go ahead from Dr. First ride was 9 painful minutes. But iit was a ride. After that I knew I needed a simple strategy forward. My strategy was simply ride for fun and pick a date I would work up to a good norma lride again, that was a upcoming camping trip / ride trip about 6 weeks out.

I started easy extending the 9 mintues on the road bike, eventually up to a 6 mile singletrack ride and some long walks. Before the trip I was able to get full singltrack loops of hour and a half in. Than by the trip I was rding fine, but being careful, appliing ice after rides and such.

To me you answered your own question above, if your physical therapist and Dr think it is ok than looks like you will be fine, good luck with the first ride it could be tough.

EDIT one more thing: Dont be afraid to add some good multiple rest days in the middile of building up, I ended up taking a whole week off in the middle of the 6 week build up, did lots of walking that week for a family vacation. Normally 2 days in a row off the bike and I get stiff and antsy.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!