mtbr member

Training for first endurance ride in a month

Hello all, I just found out about a local endurance ride, 60ish miles and roughly 10,000 ft, and was wondering if there is anything I can do in the month leading up to it. I ride a Bronson usually 3-5 times a week, 10-15 miles and 2000-3000 ft per ride. Biggest ride I've done is about 30 miles and 5000 ft of climbing. I know it's a tall order but I figure I might as well try and see how far I can get. Anything I should focus on now, leading up to it, and during the ride? Nutrition and hydration tips? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    not much you can do. It takes a few weeks before training takes effect. Do some longish rides. Drill it! Learn to cope with pain! Have fun :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sounds like your already where I'm at and I do 24hr solos. Just pace yourself easy try and stay out of the hurt zone on the climbs. Make sure you have your water and calories dialed ahead of time and you'll do fine. Maybe grab a bolt of electrolyte pills to keep the late ride cramps at bay.

mtbr member
    Right now I ride 1x10, 34 front 1-36 rear. Am I best served throwing a FD back on?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I could do that ride(50 miles and 11,000' a few weeks ago) on my single speed with 34-20 so if you don't mind standing and slow cranking out of the saddle just letting your body weight do the work you should be more then fine. But if your not used to standing for 10 mins at a time that could cause cramps later on. Maybe try practicing standing and slow cranking on some steeper climbs for the next few weeks to train that muscle group.

Remember standing out of the saddle isn't just fur hammer of a hill, it can be used to rest other muscle groups and spread the load.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Go and do a 60 mile ride if you can pull it off. Get used to that mileage. Steep climbs might be tough with a 34 tooth front. I know guys who can do 18,000 of climbing and 100 miles on a SS but you may not be that guy. I am not and I'm a part-time SSer.
    I would just get into a good, yet 10% slower than you usually ride pace and finish that bad boy. No worries about placement in the race.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. But of course I caught a nasty cold and have been off my bike for a week and won't be on for a few more days. With less than a week to train, I doubt I'll finish but I'm gonna give it a try. I hope to get to the half way mark, guess I will have to try next year!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Oh don't be a downer, just think of this down time as the perfect taper week. Go into it thinking you have a chance to finish and you just might. Go into it thinking you'll be lucky to make it half way then well you get the idea

Everyone around me has been sick over this last month so I've been drinking OJ and taking multi Vitamins twice a day without fail since the start of November, good so far but I'm not safe yet.

Good luck and have fun on your ride.

The 5th knuckle
    Dont know if you have a ride computer or just use your phone. I get a bit geeky. I usually set a fairly slow pace goal. One, when I'm beating it, it's motivating, but second it's not a debby downer when I'm just making it at the last few miles. Just keep the pace and motor on. I know I'm not a contender other than for DFL but having some type of pace goal seems to help make it to the finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does this ride happen to be in SLO?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    Does this ride happen to be in SLO?
    Yep, you doing it? It's gonna be brutal but I figure I'll try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    Yep, you doing it? It's gonna be brutal but I figure I'll try.
    Yeah, I won't be going fast though so I'm hoping there will be some people who go at my pace that are finishing the route so I don't get lost.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Any info on what/where this event is? I am not too far from SLO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkB View Post
    Any info on what/where this event is? I am not too far from SLO
    It's tomorrow

www.girodislo.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    As others have said, pace yourself, fuel and hydrate properly, and you should be fine.

FWIW, I ride a bit less then you on a steel SS. I did the 100k version of the Hampshire 100 this past year. ~7.5k climbing and 64 miles, with the majority of the climbing packed into the last 44 miles. I was in Peru for 2 weeks (no real training, no time on the bike) and got back to the states about a week before the race. I also came down with a sinus infection the last couple days we were in Peru. I tried to rest and take in fluids as much as possible and while I was much better by race day my lung function still hadn't returned to 100% and I was still clearing buckets of lovely green mucus from my lungs. I still rode the race on my SS and finished mid-pack just under 7hrs.

CN: You got this. Get out there and get'er done!