Grip it and rip it.

Training. base training for mtb endurance, 12/24 hour, + ride report

Hi, i want to get my training right this year, i don't mind how much fitness gains i have achieved if i don't completely reach my targets, i just want to be at the startline at the mtb marathons next year knowing i did everything right so my body has the best chance of doing well, for myself.

I've been doing alot of base training , sometimes i crank up the pace when i'm really bored but thats one of my guilty pleasures. Also the wind where i live at the moment is crazy so it can make for some interesting rides, (it can feel like you're going uphill riding along the flat sometimes).. also i only have an 11-21 cassette at the moment.

I swim about 4 times a week and get about 9 hours of riding on the weekends, plus or minus 3 hours. Rides range from 3 to 5 hours at the moment. Sometimes road both days sometimes road one day mtb the next. Sometimes 3 days a week on the bike.

----slight ride report here--------------------
    This was my first season in a while but my body did better than i expected, since i only really started riding again in May. I had three mtb marathons events in a row one weekend after the other, on the weekends running from the 14th to the 27th of september. I wasnt fully prepared so i used the first one as training and paced it completely at a steady pace, trying to pick up speed in the last 2 hours. I was happy with my time 5.45 mins over 90km.

The next week went well too, things are good, maybe i hit a jackpot with the right amount of rest etc. 65 km course, under four hours finish time.. dont remember exactly what it was.

The last one i did started at 7pm in evening and was an 85 mile point to point event (130 km approx), it was mostly in the dark..it was dark by 7.30pm approx. I was suffering towards the end, and the last half hour seemed to last an eternity. It took me longer than 2 years ago ( 8.40), at 10.00 hours, with 2 punctures and rubbing pads on my rear disc that slowed me down i think.
    I think i rode best in the first and second event overall.
    --------------------------

I was pleased to have completed those, now i'm thinking about next year!!! I want to get my training right and not just waste the year away with the odd sunday spin thrown in here and there.

So what is the next stage after base training???? This is the main thing i want to ask, if i can get help on this i would appreciate it a lot.

Would i be fit enough for a 24 hour solo next year?? Or should i go for a twelve.

Is there any good books, or websites i can go to?

How about weights? Yes or no?

Thanks so much for any feedback!
    Last edited by Damitletsride!; 10-24-2008 at 12:45 PM.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Check out Joe Friel's books

weights would be good over the winter
    I need some of that myself

In a broad sense you'll do base- build- taper- event

Friel's books will help you develop your own program.
    I personally find it hard to stick with a training program because life and beer always get in the way.

Cheers!

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by t-jib
    Check out Joe Friel's books

I personally find it hard to stick with a training program because life and beer always get in the way.

Cheers!
    If it weren't for beer I would probably be pro...okay, probably not, but i'd at least compete in sport instead of beginner....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"